We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atlas Mountains and Desert Tour from Marrakech

Belgium
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Atlas Mountains and Desert Tour from Marrakech

We have done a tour into the Atlas Mountains and Desert during Easter Holidays, from 10/4 until 13/4/2009. The company we travelled with is Dunes Line and I can really recommend them. They did a great job. We were travelling with a party of 8 people (4 children) , we had 2 comfortable 4wheel drive jeeps for us. Our programme: we left Marrakech and travelled to the Dades Gorges, passing Tizi n Tichka's pass and visited Berbers. Day 2 we went to the Merzouga Dunes and passed more spectacular scenery. 8 camels were loaded up for us and we rode into the sand of the desert for abt 2 hours and stayed overnight in a nomad tent, this was really great. The next morning after a beautiful sunrise, back again on the camels and continuing our trip by jeep to OUarzazate, passing the magnificent Draa Valley. The last day heading back to Marrakech, first stopping at Kasbah of Taourit. The trip was very well organised, our drivers/guides great guys (Ahmed and Zaid), we all had a lovely time. For your trip, one addres: www.dunesline.com

Genoa
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Atlas Mountains and Desert Tour from Marrakech

Hey !

My family and I will be in Morocco for a desert tour and i'm just wondering if the camel ride will be "ok" for my 5 and 7 yr children ? and elso is there anyting special to bring; sleeping bags, warm clothes maybe ???

Any help will be deeply appreciated.

Best wishes to you!

Erg Chebbi, Morocco
Level Contributor
398 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Atlas Mountains and Desert Tour from Marrakech

you haven't mentione din what month you are going to travel; no need for sleeping bag during sumer; december and Jan are could. pack warm cloth...etc

have a look at this website ( www.ergchebbi-info.c.la ) it's new company who provide informations and help for free. but thier website still under construction.

Genoa
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Atlas Mountains and Desert Tour from Marrakech

Sorry, i forgot this detail we'll be in Morocco next month ( First week ).

Thanks in advance

maroc
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Atlas Mountains and Desert Tour from Marrakech

With all the writings everywhere about Morocco as a place not to be traveled by yourself or at a minimum with a tour group only, I want to report a very different travel story.

As a middle-aged couple we came to Morroco the very first time this october. We learned so much by travelling the country from one corner to the other.We where able to observe the beauty and the sade sides of life in the cities and out in the countryside.So we do not speak the language we always felt understood and welcome.Many sites we visited have not been v frequented by large tourgroups. We travelled for12 days und had always a nice,clean and comfortable hotel or lodge waiting for us,dinner and breakfast included. We travelled by air-con. car by ourself together with our personal guide and driver.We never tought it possible to afford this kind of travel, but it actualy is.Just by chance did we find on the net our guide and driver 4x4 .ZAID BEN MOH. Connect with him at . Call him at 00212662202059 . For $900.-total it is not to be missed.

Erg Chebbi, Morocco
Level Contributor
398 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Atlas Mountains and Desert Tour from Marrakech

this will be reported as ...

Erg Chebbi, Morocco
Level Contributor
398 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Atlas Mountains and Desert Tour from Marrakech

You don't need sleeping bags for the desert trek; almost camel trek organiser provide camp (equipments)...May is not cold month; the days / nights are warm ; except the first hours of the morning.

the sunrise camel ride start in the early morning; pack a jacket. T-shirt and shorts during the day.

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
29 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Atlas Mountains and Desert Tour from Marrakech

They are accustomed to putting 2 people on a camel so there should be no problem in having the kids ride with you and a companion. If you're traveling alone one of the camel boys would be happy to ride with one of the children.

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
29 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Atlas Mountains and Desert Tour from Marrakech

My wife and I both only a few days from 70 had no trouble traveling for two weeks by ourself in a rental car through the Middle and High Atlas. Our 50+ year old high school french was quite sufficient. There are hundreds of B & Bs (even in the most remote areas) that can be lined up on the internet and local guides can be hired through most B + Bs or hotels. There has been an incredible amount of road resurfacing over the past two years so we found even secondary rural roads to be easily navigable. Just don't expect to average much more than 30 miles an hour when you're off the main coastal roads. The new tollway from Gibralter to Marrakech moves as fast as any American freeway and is inexpenxive. The very few places where 4 wheel drive is needed all offer local transport. Again easily arranged through your B + B.

London, UK
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Atlas Mountains and Desert Tour from Marrakech

This tour was brilliantly run - we enjoyed it very much. Every effort was made to make this as enjoyable as possible and the trip left us with many wonderful memories. Could not recommend it more...

Reggio Emilia
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Atlas Mountains and Desert Tour from Marrakech

I would like to reply to Carla36 just to tell I had the same good experience travelling with ZAID BEN MOH (zaid1400@hotmail.com). He works with the BerberExperience team. For more info have a look at their page on Facebook.