We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The strike of public transport in Morocco

Erg Chebbi, Morocco
Level Contributor
398 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
The strike of public transport in Morocco

Hi

just to update about 'the Morocco today'; this would be helpfull for poeple who might do solo trips the next few days;

there is a strike of public transport in Morocco; so the buses and grand taxis... won't transport people due to law prb.

i don't know when it will be over!

fromdesert

New York City
6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: The strike of public transport in Morocco

does this include the trains?

Erg Chebbi, Morocco
Level Contributor
398 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The strike of public transport in Morocco

The Trains and (CTM-Supratours) aren't include in the strike, 'General idea': All the companies that belong to the government doesn't effect by the strike.

the strike cover the cars-buses-grand taxis that belong to simple citizen.

(CTM buses -I'm a witness- are accompanied by Police when at every entry/exit of city); and probably there will be hassle at stations of the above companies, thought lot of travellers will use the 2 available ways. so booking the tickets in advance will be good and useful.

prices won't be as usual; there might be some change on numbers.

Good luck

Doha
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: The strike of public transport in Morocco

The strike has been called due to new government regulations of Grand Taxis imposing serious penalties for reckless driving and accidents. There have been so many accidents and injuries. Ironically, the drivers are protesting the authorities attempts to make their industry safer..Many ordinary people are stranded as a result of this.Hopefully the government will stick to their objectives on this issue.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
980 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The strike of public transport in Morocco

I was caught in a taxi strike previously and the trains were packed, so much so that it was hard to get through everyone to get off, even in first class. So as long as the strike lasts try and book train tickets in advance.

Scotland
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: The strike of public transport in Morocco

Hi

Is this a all-out strike? I mean is the strike on everyday? My fiance needs to get exit papers signed in Rabat and he tells me that the people who are to sign the papers can't get to work because of the strike. This means he can't get out of Morocco. Does anyone know when this strike will be over? I also heard that there will be no fuel available for transport today and tomorrow.

Erg Chebbi, Morocco
Level Contributor
398 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The strike of public transport in Morocco

Yes the strike continues (we never know till when) but things gets down and life in Morocco is kind of blocked (people stucked ...) i beleive this gonna be so hard.

I don't think there will be a problem of petrol -all the cars are off roads so no one will use petrol-

your friend need to call the Ambassad of your country; so they can help him/her to get out the country (there is a number for urgent situations).

bahamas
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: The strike of public transport in Morocco

Hi

As a visitor to Morocco on several occassions most recently in 2007, I had the unfortunate pleasure of seeing first hand the taxi and public transport strikes. It was a complete nightmare. My boyfriend and I had to walk everywhere. Not always a pleasure in high heeled shoes. At the time, was planning on visiting expatriate friends in Ouarzazate and couldn't get bus tickets on CMT. Finally after 4 days of being "stuck" in Marrakesh, we were able to get bus tickets on CMT and had a terrific time. If the safety of the Moroccan public and tourists alike are of great importance to the government, I say continue to push the law. Preventing accidents and saving lives are so much more important than driving like a speed demon.

Erg Chebbi, Morocco
Level Contributor
398 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The strike of public transport in Morocco

I think the morocan government need to build more roads; it's not right to put ruls and you have no base.

Truks buses taxis use just one road!

Erg Chebbi, Morocco
Level Contributor
398 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The strike of public transport in Morocco

strike is over ; so evrything is gonna be alright;

10. Re: The strike of public transport in Morocco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 pm, October 18, 2009