We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Comment on my Itinerary, and suggest places for the few hole

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
57 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Comment on my Itinerary, and suggest places for the few hole

All -

I've come up with the following itinerary for our upcoming trip to Morocco, and was hoping you could comment on it. Also, looking for suggestions as to where to not miss in the places we still have holes. We'll be driving ourselves, and might get local guides in the big cities.

Thursday, November 20th, Arrive (2:30pm), go to Meknes

Friday, November 21st, Meknes (AM), Voulibis (PM), end the day in Fes

Saturday, November 22nd, Fes (All Day)

Sunday, November 23rd, Fes, Ifrane, onward?

Monday, November 24th, Onward? to Desert hotel

Tuesday, November 25th, Night out in the desert, Erg Chebbai

Wednesday, November 26th, Back in, onward to High Atlas

Thursday, November 27th, Somewhere in the High Atlas

Friday, November 28th, ???? to Marrakech

Saturday, November 29th, Marrakech

Sunday, November 30th, Marrakech to Cassablanca, Fly out

Does that sound reasonable? From our previous travels, we prefer smaller towns to big cities, thus the small amount of time in Fes and Marrakech.

Thanks,

-B

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
57 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Comment on my Itinerary, and suggest places for the few hole

Let me also try two specific questions.

There seems to be not very many interesting places to see between Ifrane / Ain-Leuh and Merzouga. Am I missing something good? Should we just only allow for one day there, then go on the overnight in the desert the next day?

Also, we're having trouble getting in touch with folks interested in taking us into the desert over night. Any recent good experiences with guides there?

Thanks,

-Ben

Ota, Japan
Level Contributor
441 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Comment on my Itinerary, and suggest places for the few hole

are you able to do this day after day ?? i mean leaving place after spending the night...then drive to an other one !!!

it's seems great itinirary but would you like to have time visiting plaes ..ect?

i would recommend asou from www.desertcameltrips.com for the night in the desert .

hotels also offer that services but they'll charge you more then local services...ect

all the best

cc

3. Re: Comment on my Itinerary, and suggest places for the few hole

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:49 am, October 17, 2008
marrakech
Level Contributor
86 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Comment on my Itinerary, and suggest places for the few hole

Dear Begs,

Actually, Your itinerary seems to be excellent; however, overnighting in Ifrane is not that highly recommended; therefore, it would be advisable if you overnight in Midelt.In fact, when arriving to the desert, be ready to confront too much hassle on the part of illegal guides.Getting towards the desert has become easier than it used to be.Just keep driving till arriving to Rissani and many signs of several inns would be conspicuous and which have to be followed.

Best wishes.

Toronto
Level Contributor
342 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Comment on my Itinerary, and suggest places for the few hole

Midelt sounds interesting -- was just reading about it today. Definitely take the time to explore Rissani -- it has a large population of women veiled in a way that is very specific to the region, plus the largest market in the south (which i think happens on thursdays) and award-winning dates (serious amazing -- bring some home with you!!). Regardless of which hotel/auberge you stay at in the dunes, you will need a guide to take you into the desert overnight (booked through the hotel or auberge). Remember to tip your camelman (or men), or buy fossils from them because they do not get paid for the work they do. When I was in Erg Chebbi last month I stayed at Palais Des Dunes (see my review) -- it is the only place in the area with a pool, AC if you desire, and all of the rooms are virtually brand new -- they were just finishing building some of them as I was staying there.

I also recommend seeing Taroudannt, a very charming and laid-back walled city...google it for more info or photos. Taliouine is great if you want to see the saffron fields (I think they bloom in Oct, but not sure how long the bloom lasts), learn about how saffron is cultivated, drink some saffron tea...

These places could be a bit out of the way for your itinerary, but who knows...check it out on a map!

Ota, Japan
Level Contributor
441 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Comment on my Itinerary, and suggest places for the few hole

almost hotels have swimming pool ;AC...

you won't need to use AC durring November.

Flagstaff, Arizona
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Comment on my Itinerary, and suggest places for the few hole

hi guys,

we had the same itineraries during our first trip to morocco. between Fes and Erg chebbi , we had to stop in the Errachidia for the night so we could enjoy the drive along the magnificient Ziz valley the next day. we had our desert trip with aroundmorocco.com, based in merzouga; lahcen organised our 2trips in morocco.

if you contact lahecn i am sure he will tell what to do and what to avoid.

the desert trip with lahcen was the highlight of our trip in morocco.

best luck

8. Re: Comment on my Itinerary, and suggest places for the few hole

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:20 pm, October 09, 2009