We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ali Oussou and the crazy Couscous!!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Ali Oussou and the crazy Couscous!!!

Hello there

This is my posting about the trip i just did and the tour we did with Ali Oussou and his crazy Couscous driver Youseff. Crazy Couscous was our running joke...

I just arrived back from Fes yesterday and had the most amazing time of my life; I’m sitting at work wishing I was still there. I have been to lots and lots and lots! of places and Morocco is in the top 5. So that says something.

The desert trip was amazing. We organised a 3 night 4 day tour with Ali -guide and Youseff -driver and had a landcrusier - you can do any length of tour. There was 4 of us .I think I searched for about a month to find a good guide before I went, its hard as you have no idea who the person is, how good he is, booking before you go… ect ect ect, people on the web sights are always promoting there own tour and crapping on with no exception of trip advisor. I was absolutely spot on with the choice. Ali is 28, speaks Arabic, Berber (he is from the desert near erg chebbi) , French, English, Spanish and a little Japanese – unbelievable!!! Youseff only speaks Berber with a few funny things in between, he is about 50 i think. Youseff is such a character and was a highlight of the trip in himself!! We were so sad to say goodbye.

There is quite a lot of driving involved as we tried to cover as much of the county as possible in such a short time that we had avaliable .The landscape is amazing, deserts, dunes, cedar forests, tiny Berber towns, massive mountains and gorges, oasis’s everywhere, kasbahs, Mind blowing!! We spent a night in the Sahara desert which involved a 2 hour camel trek there and back the next day, on the way there we were caught in a mild sand storm!! So cool! The Sahara… wow!!!

All the hotels that he organised we really good and dinner was included which helped my spending money. The desert trip involves sleeping on a mattress under the stars

We did Marrakesh and Fes our selves. In Fes when we left Ali had recommended a guide for us for a day which we took as it was the only way to cover everything in the souk. I think there is 5000 streets or something crazy like that. After the tour you have your bearings on the place and you can wander your self. There is no way to know to turn town a little street, take a left and right and then be in the tanneries. The same for everything else.

The shopping and quality of stuff is way better in Marrakesh. Make sure you eat in the square at night, stand 114 yummy! The square at night is like nothing I have ever experience before.

For Islamic counties I have been to Syria, Jordan, Egypt, turkey, Maldives and now Morocco. Morocco is way more westernised with the exception of turkey. They don’t drive like maniacs, don’t use there horn every 1 second and seem quite liberal in the way they dress. Not like Syria where its head to toe and hands covered(Syria is also amazing) I also found the people in Morocco to be always happy and not that hassling when in the souks, just say your not interested and they leave you alone. Not like Egypt where you have to tell the guy to F off a hundred times and he still doesn’t leave you alone.

The riads we stayed in were spectacular OMG! Don’t go to Morocco with out staying in a good riad. We stayed in Riad boussa and Riad Al Bartal – they are like mini oasis’s amongst the crazy medinas.

Morocco is not that cheap, but its not to expensive either. Meals are about 50-100Dh which is 5-10euros - so not that cheap.

I think that’s about all of the 8 days holiday. I cannot recommend Ali and Youseff highly enough. They created one of the most amazing trips of my life so far!!! If you use Ali please can you say you were recommended by Lachlan and the Aussies.

I have about 400 photos to go through so ill try and post some pics next week when i get a chance

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lachie

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Ali
Hotel Ali
236 Reviews
Marrakech, Morocco
Fes
Fes
Fes-Boulemane Region, Morocco
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Riad Boussa
Riad Boussa
1,181 Reviews
Marrakech, Morocco
Riad Al Bartal
Riad Al Bartal
286 Reviews
Fes, Morocco
Spain
Destination Expert
for Fes
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ali Oussou and the crazy Couscous!!!

Thanks for this entertaining read...however I have to disagree about the drivers not driving like maniacs...quite possibly the worst drivers in the world...and as for that horn, you need to clear the wax out of your ears, Moroccans sit on that horn constantly!

Marlboro, New Jersey
Level Contributor
232 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ali Oussou and the crazy Couscous!!!

Just a question, since I will be there next July and I know how hor ir can be. How are women who are touring dressed. I wear city shorts at home, but is it appropriate there? How about Capri pants? I can wear a short sleeved tee, I imagine no tank tops. I also know that in the desert, you must cover up to be protected from the heat. I could really use some advise on this!

Y

Thanks!

Karen

Mentioned in this post
Capri
Capri
Island of Capri, Italy
Boston MA
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Ali Oussou and the crazy Couscous!!!

Many posters have recommended Ali -- and Ali and I have traded a few emails.

Would you recommend starting and ending your trip from the same place?

We are flyring in and out of Marakesh, but also want to see Fez, so maybe it makes sense to start in Fez, and then back to Mara?

Also, when you went to the desert, did you go to Erg Chebbi? Or Erg Chigaga?

Finally, what was the cost per day per person?

Many thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Ali
Hotel Ali
236 Reviews
Marrakech, Morocco
Erg Chebbi
Erg Chebbi
Meknes-Tafilalet Region, Morocco
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ali Oussou and the crazy Couscous!!!

Hello,

Just a follow up, the drivers are no where near as maniac as in Egypt and Syria!!!! There were police with speed cameras everywhere in Morocco.

I wouldn’t worry too much about dress, just wear what you feel comfortable in, you will see once you arrive what most tourists and locals are wearing. Even the locals are wearing some pretty funky western stuff.

Regarding the tour, I think he can pick you up and drop you off anywhere. The reason I went Marra to Fes as I had a limited time and didn’t want to back track. I fly a charted Thomson flight to Marra and Ryanair home from Fes, worked out perfectly!

Regarding the price this is worked out on the tour you decide, how long it’s for and how much driving is involved.

Remember everything is negotiable to a Moroccan! It’s between you and him to decide on a good price that you are both happy with.

Lac

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Fes
Fes
Fes-Boulemane Region, Morocco
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ali Oussou and the crazy Couscous!!!

........went to Erg Chebbi

Mentioned in this post
Erg Chebbi
Erg Chebbi
Meknes-Tafilalet Region, Morocco
Chicago
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Ali Oussou and the crazy Couscous!!!

The information you have provided has proved extremely helpful!! Thanks.

I was curious about how you came about "finding" Ali Oussou. I will be travelling with another girl and so need to feel extremely comfortable with our choice of a guide.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Ali
Hotel Ali
236 Reviews
Marrakech, Morocco
Houston, Texas
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ali Oussou and the crazy Couscous!!!

Hi Lachie! We recently travelled with Ali and Youssef either right after or right before you. They are absolutely incredible in every way. We wanted to bring them home with us. Great human beings!

TO blues chicago. Never fear. You and your girl friend would be absolutely safe with them. If you do a search on this website, on Morroco, and plug in Ali Ossou, you'll get lots more info about him, including contact info.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Ali
Hotel Ali
236 Reviews
Marrakech, Morocco
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
8. Re: Ali Oussou and the crazy Couscous!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 am, September 08, 2009