We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting algeria for the first time

Isle of Man, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
visiting algeria for the first time

Hi there wondered if anyone could help me I have been with my boyfriend from Algeria for 2 years now we normally meet up in Tunisia because this has been easier for us I have just applied for a visa to visit him in Algeria for the first time as we are getting married in January so I am meeting his family I have put in for a tourist visa and said I am visiting my fiancé I am really worried about being refused does anyone have any advice or been refused themselves would be grateful for any help with this ?

Algiers, Algeria
8 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: visiting algeria for the first time

Hi Kerrib,

Normally, there is no reason for Algerian authorities to refuse a visa for a British citizen, unless they have been to Israel, Taiwan (which is not recognized by Algeria) and Malawi.

This is what I found on a website:

>>>> Nationals of Israel, Malawi and Taiwan are not allowed into the country, and if you have a stamp in your passport from any of these countries your application might be rejected.

Source: lonelyplanet.com/algeria/…ixzz2hsgsdf6B

So, if you don't have this problem, you should get an Algerian visa without any problem. During the Algerian civil war (known as the dark decade in Algeria,1992-2000), many Algerians had to meet up their foreign friends in Tunisia. Now, there's no problem for UK, EU and US citizens to come to Algeria. Although some areas are still dangerous (mainly the Boumerdes and Tizi-Ouzou provinces in the north), there are many Western tourists and expatriates in Algeria.

Good luck

2. Re: visiting algeria for the first time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:02 am, February 13, 2014
Winnipeg, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: visiting algeria for the first time

Hello,

I am from Canada, and will in sha allah be visiting Mostaganem, Algeria to meet the girl I want to marry. Any guidelines on the customs there when meeting the bride's family for the first time, and if someone can list any economical hotels in Mostaganem will be good

Thanks In Advance.

Omer

algiers
Level Contributor
119 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: visiting algeria for the first time

hello decent i advice you to ask your girlfreind to list you an economical hotel in mostaganem it will be better .

Isle of Man, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: visiting algeria for the first time

Thank you for the advice i got my visa no problem and am getting married there next month beautiful country and glad to be apart of it i never had to cover myself up not even my tattoos and this was never a problem as i have read about before algerian people are lovely and make you feel very welcome proud to be marrying one xx

algiers
Level Contributor
119 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: visiting algeria for the first time

hhhh congratulations ,,,,,,wish you all the best . :)

Winnipeg, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: visiting algeria for the first time

Thanks, Sunina. She listed 2 hotels Muntazah & Murustaga. Do you know if there's any website for these hotels. and any tips you like to give mainly on what's the tradition to marry as I want to keep it simple so I can sponsor her here to canada too. ANd what should I take for the first time as I will be meeting their parents, somebody told me that a ring will be good if all goes well so I can give her the ring

THanks

algiers
Level Contributor
119 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: visiting algeria for the first time

hi decente traveller 2014 congratulations for you too . this is the website of muntazah hotel :http://www.elmountazah.com/el-mountazah/mostaganem.html .

a,d for murustaga i find only contacts not website :MURUSTAGA HOTEL

Hôtels & restaurant

LES SABLETTES SALAMANDRE

Mostaganem, Mostaganem (27), Algérie

Tél : 00 213 45 33 93 25

about our traditions ,its depend on what you want to do and your budget ,because the traditions of weeding here in algeria are so so so expensive :) i advice you to do it simple with the important traditions not all .

there is (khotba ) its whene you go to see here parents for the first time to ask the hand of theire daughter and here you must take aring for examle .

i advice you to do fatiha ,the same day of the wedding .i cant give more advice because every thing depend on your situation :) wish you all the best .

stoke on trent uk
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: visiting algeria for the first time

Hi Kerry. I same like you English visiting my fiancee in mostaganem. Any info on what to expect would be amazing if I'm not taking up too much of your time.

berkshire
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: visiting algeria for the first time

hi can any one advise me please i want to visit algeria but i am confused about the visa...i have friends who live there and they have invited me to come i can stay with them...but i prefere to stay local in a hotel can i apply for a visa if i stay in a hotel or do i still need an invitation from my friends......very confusing!! thanks for any advice