We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Algiers - Visa support, transport and city tour

Which Algiers hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Barnstaple, United...
Level Contributor
106 posts
218 reviews
Save Topic
Algiers - Visa support, transport and city tour

Hello all,

I hope to visit Algiers in Novemeber as part of a 2 night visit to the city.

Can anyone help me in finding tour operators that can provide me a quote for the following:

1. Letter of invitation (for Visa)

2. Transport from Algiers airport to my hotel (which would have already been arranged)

3. Full day tour of Algiers

4. Transport to Algiers airport from my hotel

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Wakefield, England...
2 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Algiers - Visa support, transport and city tour

Hi,can anyone give me advise about visa im britsh and my husband is algerian we want to work in france do you know if it is possible for him?

São Paulo
2 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Algiers - Visa support, transport and city tour

Hello!

I'm planing to go to Algiers, like you did!

So did you enjoy it?!

Thanks for sharing your information which I will follow!

Cris (Brazil)

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
93 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Algiers - Visa support, transport and city tour

I'm having issues getting visa letter as well.. I sent in passport+hotel confirmation, but consulate has been holding my passport for three weeks now! I will travel to Algeria in late January but need my passport back in ~2 weeks for other trips.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Algiers - Visa support, transport and city tour

Dear Sunina, I am travelling to Algiers next week. My visa got rejected from Indonesian Embassy. Any way you can help with my visa application? I have bought all my flight tickets :(

Sunnyvale...
4 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Algiers - Visa support, transport and city tour

I wholly concur with "JER888 London, United..." above. I have gone through the visa application process with meticulous care, including purchasing airline tickets to/from Algeria and arranging and providing my complete 15-day itinerary as well as a $160 cashiers check. This has taken me an immense amount of my time and effort to arrange and submit!

The embassy in New York USA has had everything for 32 days now. I have called on the telephone over a dozen times on several different days ('not easy since they keep short hours and there is a 3-hour time difference) and left a message requesting a return phone call each time. No one ever answers the phone and I have received no response. I have sent three detailed emails requesting status of my application. All of the extensive effort and commitment on my part has been met with contempt. I am left with a bitter taste in my mouth and I am getting very anxious because I need my passport so I can proceed on my other planned travels. Never mind about getting any re-fund for the non-refundable airline tickets to Algeria I have purchased. *!@^%#^+!!!

If someone discovers an method for geting the attention from Algeria's embassy in New York, I would greatly appreciate hearing from you!! If I didn't live 2000 miles away, I would go there in person...

London, United...
Level Contributor
260 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Algiers - Visa support, transport and city tour

A general response to everyone applying for visas to Algeria these days (especially individually):

The Algerian government does not support tourism, on the contrary. Tourists are generally considered a potential nuisance. With all the general instability in the country, there is a non-negligible chance that a tourist gets hurt or is kidnapped, with all the associated negative publicity in the world press. Tourism also diverts security resources given the 'special' protection needs (whether solicited or unsolicited is another story, but generally the government's view is that once you're allowed into the country, it is their duty to look after you). Of course this will never be admitted as public policy, however the visas will either be refused, or delayed indefinitely. Another thing to consider is that the Algerian government wants to make sure that foreign journalists are kept at bay, and any individual application is assumed to be another journalist trying to slip through the mesh rather than a legitimate tourist.

Getting an Algerian visa requires someone (usually a local travel agency) to actively pursue your application with the authorities in Algiers, and that person must have good contacts and good credentials. Individual applications are usually refused (or more likely simply ignored), the best chance of success are for groups organized involving reputable local agents, but even there it is a hit and miss. On our last trip in 2012 out of a group of nine eight got the visas (some in 2 weeks, some in 8!) and one did not (was not refused, jus somehow the necessary paperwork did not reach the embassy in time...).

In summary, if you plan to visit Algeria, you must have a good story, have a good local sponsor, and a LOT of patience. On the bright side, once you do get into the country, it is absolutely fabulous:

fjexpeditions.com/expeditions/…tassili12.htm

berkshire
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Algiers - Visa support, transport and city tour

hi i was looking to visit algeria in august...after reading your post it sounds like a nightmare to get a visa...i have friends who live there who have said they will invite me but i was looking to book a hotel near by...if i am staying in a hotel is it easier to get a visa?? or easier if i get invitation from them?? thanks any advice will be helpful..

Silver Spring...
1 post
Save Reply
18. Re: Algiers - Visa support, transport and city tour

for a trip to Algeria it is necessay to plan ahead. there is no reason your application would be refused if all necessary documents were presented most of the time either a letter of invitation or a hotel reservation with the name of the hotel and its address and also the days you're staying . just follow the instructions on the website of the consultae or the embassy of the country where you live.

as for the application for visa during the month of April, bear in mind that a major presidential elections took place during that month and most of embassies and consulate with few employees were rather dealing with the election of the algerian communities in the country concerned.

1 post
Save Reply
19. Re: Algiers - Visa support, transport and city tour

Iuo

20. Re: Algiers - Visa support, transport and city tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 3:46 pm, July 07, 2014