We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wot is it like living in algiers for a non arab sister?

london
4 posts
Save Topic
wot is it like living in algiers for a non arab sister?

salam i am married to a algerian and we are planing a move there one day inchallah i have never been so would love to hear from btitish sisters or others just to tell me a bit about what it is like to live there as my husband as not been back for a long time so can not tell me what it is like to live there at this present time hope to hear from some sisters soon inchallah

algiers
Level Contributor
119 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wot is it like living in algiers for a non arab sister?

hi karima its me amina,here everything is all right we can say that life is as europ but cheaper than in europ especialy uk.there are many places where foering people live as DELY BRAHIM , ELBIAR ,BEN AKNOUN and hydra ...there u can find many foering companys too,u can also make shooping in supermarkets.our weekend here is thursday and friday.on weekend algerian families go in order to have some rest to beachs in summer or to the forest where child can run and play without any problems.

only thing which make us so so so nervous is trafic its going more and more bad.

united states
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: wot is it like living in algiers for a non arab sister?

i have been to algeria lots of times and i love it there! i normally stay about 6 months at a time so i live like i am a native not a tourist so my days consist of things like visiting family, going to the markets,paying bills etc. not very exciting. however i have never had a problem like people staring, harassing me or anything like that. we own our apartment it was very cheap compared to US prices.i do wear a hijab so that may help with people not staring ? the only "problem" we find when we are there is how the people drive! normally algerians are very relaxed except when they get in a car!

you should visit for a while before you decide to move to make sure it is for you. if you are married and have family around i dont see any problems for you. to me it is the best place in world!

Algeria
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: wot is it like living in algiers for a non arab sister?

welcom to you have fun

Ramsgate, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: wot is it like living in algiers for a non arab sister?

You should definately visit first before making a committment to move there.

I've visited only twice. Tne first time for nearly 4 weeks when I was sorting out getting married, this was in September. The second was in July for a couple of weeks and it was sooooo hot that not much was done apart from staying indoors until the sun lowered.

Anyway, I found it hard going even though my Algerian family are wonderful. I know I have very limited experience but know that I would find it VERY difficult if we had to move there. Possibly a big barrier for me was the language. I'm ashamed to say I only speak English and most people I came into to contact did not. This would have a big impact on living there. If you can speak French, Algerian/Arabic then this would probably help immensely an dopen everything up to you.

I look English I think and dressed in modest western dress when I was there and didn't encounter any more attentiom than I would in London. If you go to the beach you will see lots of young women in bikinis as you would see in Europe.

I found the lack of coffee shops eateries that we have in the UK inconvenient. I found it strange that they only seemed to be patronised by mostly men. One of the reasons for this I may have been to do with the terrible toilet facilities which were either non existent or unusable. I imagine the women would rather stay at home. Grovery shopping was also very different, no supermarkets like here, mostly very small 'corner shops' or stalls selling small selections of veg. There isn't the choice that we are used to here. Saying that I ate very well at my families house! There isn't the choice of entertainment or restaurants that I am used to.

When we go to visit the family ask for decent shampoo etc because decent stuff costs a lot there as it's all imported I think. Many things seem to vary in cost. Food is cheap but clothes seem to be the same.

Being in a car in Algiers was a pretty scary experience on quite a few occasions. Mad!

I found getting things done was always more stressful than at home (one of the reasons that my oh lives here and not there)

Please don't think that it's not a good place. I only say Algiers in the main and it's a large city. I'm very sure that live in other places is different. I went to a couple of very beautiful places and had a nice time. All I'm saying is that it will be very different to here and you need to see if you like it first.

Good luck :)

Vicki

Ramsgate, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: wot is it like living in algiers for a non arab sister?

Sorry want to edit my last paragraph but can't (should proof read before submitting!)

I meant to say

'Please don't think that it's not a good place. I only stayed Algiers in the main and it's a large city and obviously I was only visiting for a bvery short time and I'm sure that other places are very different. I did visit some beautiful places. All I'm saying is that it will be very different to here and you need to see if you like it first.

Good luck :)

6. Re: wot is it like living in algiers for a non arab sister?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:54 pm, September 22, 2009
7. Re: wot is it like living in algiers for a non arab sister?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 19, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Algiers