We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must do's

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
121 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Must do's

What are the must do's in Oahu?

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,392 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Must do's

That's really hard to say without knowing your preferences and interests.

Any interest in these:

Pearl Harbor

Bishop Museum

'Iolani Palace

Botanic gardens

Hiking

Outrigger

Catamaran sail

Snorkeling

Mission Houses

Art museums

Shopping

Architecture

Viewing beaches

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,392 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Must do's

Also, have a look at the Top Questions and trip reports for ideas.

A good travel guide is a helpful resource. Do you have one yet?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
781 posts
699 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must do's

Rent a car explore the whole island!

Chesterfield, Mich.
Level Contributor
4,005 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must do's

Eating. So much good food!!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
48,222 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must do's

My must-do's ... and yours could be wildly different. Do you have a good travel guide for the Island of Oahu? You need at least one for a good overview of your options. Maps are very important, too.

We can give you ideas based on OUR interests - whoever may be logging in at that moment - but that's not necessarily right for you.

You'll pick up a ton of ideas by scrolling down this Forum or checking out the Top Questions off to the right of the screen.

Think about why you chose Oahu ... start there and add some brand new ideas, too.

Edited: 1:07 pm, October 13, 2016
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
5,145 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Must do's

I've been lucky enough to visit Oahu a few times and there are definitely some things we want to do every year. Here's my short list:

Dinner at Tiki's Grill and Bar - Super touristy, but super fun. We have made this our first night tradition, as it forces us to take a nice walk down the beach, and their patio is a good place to enjoy a sunset (and before anyone complains, I know you can see the sun set into the water, but I don't care. It's beautiful anyway!)

Hike Diamond Head - Yes, it's the touristy thing to do, but it's a nice hike and the views are spectacular. We always follow it up with my next item.

Breakfast at Koko Head Cafe - Breakfast Bibimbap. Yum!

Rumfire - sitting outside, by a firepit, enjoying drinks and pupus, this is just a nice Waikiki beach experience.

Highway Inn - Love my local food and one of the few easy-to-find places to get squid luau.

Circle Island Drive - Stop at Byodo-In temple for serenity "Serenity now!!!"

A visit to Ala Moana Shopping Center - Fun to walk around and with a great food court...and now with an even greater Japanese village food court.

If I were a first timer, I'd also want to make sure to include Pearl Harbor, Iolani Palace, an outrigger canoe ride on Waikiki, Polynesian Cultural Center, and a shark cage trip on the north shore.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
121 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Must do's

Thanks so much for all your suggestions. This will be my second time by my partners first time, I have done pearl harbor, hanauma bay and a city tour. So just trying to get a list together as we only have 7 days. I want to go snorkeling and visit north shore, Unsure whether to do this my self or organise a tour? How long does it take to hike Diamond head? What level of fitness do you need?

What is a good travel guide to get or website to use?

We definitely want to do a Catamaran sail and also the outrigger canoe. We are staying at the Waikiki shore.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
48,222 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Must do's

Travel guide? Fodor's will give you a good overview. Often they have good pull-out maps, too.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
781 posts
699 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Must do's

Mai tai sunset cruise out of Waikiki, they r on TA and it's awesome!

Diamond head is really easy, as easy as it gets for a "hike".

North shore just wing it there are so many awesome beaches and they r well marked, just drive up the kam and u will see! Such a awesome area!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
48,222 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Must do's

Have you told us ... will you rent a car? It makes a big difference!