We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay on Oahu

brisbane
Level Contributor
33 posts
Where to stay on Oahu

Coming to Oahu in Dec/Jan with 2 adults and 4 children after 2 wks in the States. On the way home to Australia.

Unfortunately only have 4 days, but want to stay somewhere nice ,close to beach, with possible surf access. Older kids and husband would like to surf, not beginners but can't handle the huge stuff.

Looking at vrbo for accom but overwhelmed but different parts of the island.

Can anyone help with suggestions on which area to head to- North ,East ,West??

Level Contributor
382 posts
1. Re: Where to stay on Oahu

If you want to stay somewhere close to quality surf breaks, stay on the west side of the island where the wind predominantly blows off-shore. Some of the best breaks on the island are located on the southwest shoreline and this is where Waikiki is located. And for convenience and accommodation choices, it’s hard to beat Waikiki. Most of the Waikiki surf breaks are within walking distance.

brisbane
Level Contributor
33 posts
2. Re: Where to stay on Oahu

Thankyou Peter, but was trying to stay away from Waikiki if possible.

Any other suggestions?

Sydney,NSW
Level Contributor
361 posts
11 reviews
52 helpful votes
3. Re: Where to stay on Oahu

Any reason you are staying away from Waikiki? If you dont mind me asking?

I only ask because with 4 kids, there is SO much to do in Waikiki and so many places to eat and beach activities...etc.

We are travelling there from Sydney in April and are staying 16 nights in Waikiki. I guess its not for everyone but I love the crowds and chaos and all the activities.

My 2 older children want to do a couple of surfing lessons which I hear you can do in Waikiki too.

Mind you, if you are after 4 days of relaxation and surfing, then maybe Waikiki wouldnt be a good idea.

I am no help with other parts of the island, although I have been all over it, I am not sure of accomodation in other parts. We always stay in Waikiki. Hope you find what you are looking for.

Carla

San Diego...
Level Contributor
398 posts
1 review
4. Re: Where to stay on Oahu

Just stayed on the north shore of Oahu and I would say that area would be perfect. Your hubby and olders kids will love the surf and while it is huge in Jan there are areas that are not pumping out 30' waves.

I agree with you 100% on Waikiki and not staying there. This is vacation after all and I can not imagine why anyone would want to stay in Waikiki. Think traffic, sirens, people everywhere, Mickey D's and 7-11's on each corner. I can get that in dowtown San Diego. Think waiting in lines for everything, not being able to get dinner reservations, then think how nice it will be to leave and go back to the North Shorem, Kahuku or Haleiwa. We loved it and never even went to Waikiki the whole time this trip.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
398 posts
1 review
5. Re: Where to stay on Oahu

The North Shorem - humm, wonder what my fingers were up to.

Make that the north shore without the "m" - sorry.

Level Contributor
382 posts
6. Re: Where to stay on Oahu

I personally think the North Shore can be a very intense surfing experience in December and January. When it’s 30 feet at Waiamea, it‘s large EVERYWHERE on the North Shore and most surf breaks are closed-out and unsurfable. Even when the surf is only 10 feet, it is still large and dangerous. In addition, there will be allot of surfers in the water (both local and out of state) and the mood is tense. I am not trying to scare you, but the majority of surfers who come to North Shore to surf in the winter take it very serious and even a veteran surfer can find it intimidating. Your family may be up for the task, but I would be careful and conservatively evaluate your abilities.

Another option for you to consider is Diamond Head or Kahala. They are south of Waikiki. The winds are side shore, but conditions are usually still surfable.

I find it interesting how many mainlanders put down Waikiki. In my opinion, it is very beautiful and has a lot to offer. It is also the birthplace of modern day surfing where Duke Kahanamoku introduced the sport of kings to the rest of world. Most of the local Hawaii surfers will tell you some of their best surfing sessions happened in Waikiki.

Good luck.

Laguna Niguel...
Level Contributor
7,905 posts
14 reviews
17 helpful votes
7. Re: Where to stay on Oahu

Well stated PeterK, its like maybe King Kamehamaha picked the wrong island. The thing about hawaii is that there are many different options, you can do the golf thing, the big resorts, the maui condo whatever you like, but for us hanging out in waikiki with cocktails at the royal hawaiian, dinner at dukes, pupus at the moana is where we get the best aloha buzz. Other places are nice but just not the same. On another note we were at sunset sunday to watch the excel pro surf contest, they were calling it 6 feet, those are the biggest 6 foot waves I have ever seen, there was no one going close to the water except the top surfers.

8. Re: Where to stay on Oahu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 am, August 16, 2009