We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report !!

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
809 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report !!

So here we are, back home in Oz after another great 10 day holiday in Hawaii !!! This was our 3rd trip to the Islands and hopefully we will get back again soon (love it so much) !! LOL

HOTEL: PACIFIC BEACH

We stay here each time we go to Hawaii. It is clean, comfortable and in a great location. Our room was 825 oceanfront in the beach tower with fantastic views across the ocean !!! As usual we encountered no problems with staff from maid service, check-in/out or in the restaurants etc.

KUALOA RANCH

We decided to see the ranch as we had not been there before. We did the 1/2 day tour which included return transport from Waikiki, 2 activities and buffet lunch. The cost for this was $90 pp and activities we chose were ATV ride and the Movie-set tour. The buffett lunch was also very nice. We enjoyed the day, however I did not think it was worth the money we paid and was a little disappointed but it was great to see where some of the big hit movies were made.

HANAMAUA BAY

We really enjoy snorkelling at the bay, so did another trip back. Booked through the hotel tour desk again, this time we had Tommys Tours (Jerry was our driver, very funny guy). Cost for Waikiki return transport, snorkel, fins etc was approx $15 or you could pay a few bucks more for the deluxe snorkels. They had several pick up times available and you could also change your return pick up time to spend more time at the bay. We had a fantastic time again, swimming with the fish & turtles is amazing !!

MAUI DAY TRIP

On previous visits we had seen Big Island & Kauai, so this time we popped over to Maui with Roberts of Hawaii inter-island one day tours. Cost was $260 pp which was return airfares from Waikiki to Maui, return transport to airport, full day trip of Maui with tour driver. When we arrived, our first stop was Haleakela crater, 10,023 feet above sea level. What a view......you are above the clouds !!!! The crater is amazing, it almost looks like another planet. Definately worth the winding drive to the top. Watch out for the cyclists who are coming down the mountain from the top !!!! Our next stop was Lahaina, beautiful town on the waterfront with lots and lots of shops, dining. We only had 2 hours here and you really could spend a few days, so we will definately have to come back for a stay on Maui to see more of Lahaina. After lunch we drove to IAO state park to see IAO needle, a rock feature jutting up into the air....pretty cool. The grounds are beautiful, lush & green with waterfalls with a multi-cultural village at the entrance. Well worth a drive and look to IAO park.

SHOPPING

Did the usual haunts.....Ala-Moana, IMP, Swap Meet, ABC Stores and Walmart (love that place). As we dont have Walmart in Australia the only way to explain it to other Aussies would be think of Big-W but 10 times the size !!!! They have everything you can think of and more !!!!

IMP and Swap Meet have the bargins, great for t-shirts and souvenirs. Ala-Moana, fantastic shopping and love that Build-A-Bear shop !!!!

NORTH SHORE

Caught TheBus to Haleiwa to look around, it took about 90mins from Ala-Moana to get there, but well worth the scenic trip. Had shaved ice at Aoki's which was just yummy and shrimp lunch at Giovanni's !!! You just cant get 12 big juicy prawns & rice for $12 here in Australia !! Awesome !!. Looked around all the shops and surfing museum in Haleiwa, great day.

BEACH

What can you say about the beach, Waikiki has beautiful beaches and make sure you take some time out of your holiday to just chill out and relax on the beach. The water is beautiful and the sunshine is perfect. You can buy blow-up matress to laze around the water from ABC for $2.99....bargin !! Surfing lessions available or do the outrigger canoe rides for $15.

FOOD/DRINK

Well we seemed to end up back at some of our fave places....Cheeseburger in Paradise, Planet Hollywood, Rock-Island Cafe (Kings Village), Cheesecake Factory, Hard Rock Cafe and of course Dukes !!!! Our treat was again Orchids at Halekulani....it is where we had our wedding dinner last year so went back again.

If you like pizza, then try Rock-Island Cafe in Kings Village. They make fantastic homemade pizza's and the absolute best milkshakes....thick and creamy the way they use to be. They even measure the amount of ice-cream in each one !!! They also have some great classic memrobillia to buy like pictures, autographs and bits and pieces.....well worth a look !!

Dukes famous Hula Pie....yum !!! You must go to Dukes, even if it is just for the Hula Pie !! We also had a beautiful sirloin steak marinated with soy & ginger with garlic mash......yum !!!

We really couldnt fault any of the food we had anywhere, they were all fantastic. Also the cocktails.......yummy.....Blue Hawaii's, Lava Flows, Tropical Itch and Sunset.....they were all fantastic.

TRANSPORT

Oahu is really easy to get around, whether it be hiring a car or using public transport. We mainly used TheBus, which was very convenient and easy to use. Bus timetables are available everywhere and easy to read. Cost for TheBus is $2 per one way fare with 1 transfer available. If you plan to use TheBus frequently then consider buying from the ABC shop a 4 day pass for $20....well worth value. We also used the Ala-Moana shuttle for $2, which was also very convenient for shopping !!!

Well that was another fantastic trip to Hawaii......we will just have to start planning the next one and start counting the days !!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Kualoa
Kualoa
3,190 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Roberts Hawaii
Roberts Hawaii
1,270 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Ala Moana Hotel
Ala Moana Hotel
3,678 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Haleiwa
Haleiwa
Oahu, HI
Cheeseburger In Paradise
Cheeseburger In Paradise
3,036 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Rock Island Cafe
Rock Island Cafe
473 Reviews
Oahu, HI
The Cheesecake Factory
The Cheesecake Factory
11,304 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Orchids
Orchids
1,342 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Halekulani Hotel
Halekulani Hotel
2,698 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Kihei, HI
Level Contributor
502 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report !!

Great trip report! I love Oahu and am always happy to see positive reports. Sounds like you had a blast.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
809 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report !!

Sigh...yeah....we sure did...thanx !!!!

Tamworth Australia
Level Contributor
63 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report !!

Really helpful review. We will be there in OCtober, 3 days Waikiki, 7days cruise, then 4 days in a cottage on the beach on the North Shore. Your description of the shrimp and rice sounds wonderful. 12 prawns wow! I went onto Google Earth last night to see if I could find our cottage - I did and now am so excited, it's 3 mile from Haleiwa. We did hire a car which should be a laugh ( wrong side of the road and all that). My husband says it's my turn this time after he drove in LA last year - poor love is still getting over it!!

Glad you have a good time, have not been to Hawaii for over 30 years so I am looking forward to it.

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
North Shore
North Shore
1,040 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Haleiwa
Haleiwa
Oahu, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report !!

Nice report. Also nice to hear a report from someone who used The Bus to the North Shore - I don't drive so I plan to use it quite a bit when I go in December; I did want to go to Haleiwa for a walk around.

Mentioned in this post
North Shore
North Shore
1,040 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Haleiwa
Haleiwa
Oahu, HI
Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
792 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report !!

Thanks for taking the time to post your trip report. I love reading each and every one.

Wasilla, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report !!

I just posted a topic asking about a car vs bus. I was glad to read your post. If you don't mind, can you easily get to many places on the bus? I know the island is not that big, but I just want to make sure once I get off the bus, I don't have to walk for miles to get to the interesting places. Thanks.

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
809 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report !!

For us, we found TheBus so convenient and yes it was really easy to get to many different places around the island. TheBus has routes to North Shore & Circle Island no problems, they ran every 1/2 hour to/from North Shore. Locally around Waikiki and Honolulu they were frequent about every 10 mins.

$2 one way is a great price and if you are going to frequent TheBus alot, buy the 4 day pass for $20 from ABC Shop.....good value !!!

Driving on the island is also very easy, the roads are really good and towns/places are signposted very well.

Have a great trip !!

Mentioned in this post
North Shore
North Shore
1,040 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
8. Re: Trip Report !!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 am, August 15, 2009