We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Hawaii-

Grants Pass, Oregon
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
First trip to Hawaii-

This will be the first trip to Hawaii. Its just a girlfriend and I- we left the hubbys at home. We are staying at the Hilton Hawaiian Village Aug 13-21. We will be arriving @ 10am on the 13th. I have questions and would love any suggestions. What to do till our room is ready? I assume the hotel will hold our luggage? Will they allow us to use the pool? Do we need reservations for Dukes? I am an early riser and my friend not so much- Is there a coffee shop or somewhere I can grab coffee and just enjoy the beach for a bit? Also is it safe for us to be walking around Waikiki? Like if we come back late at night? Thanks in advance!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,736 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to Hawaii-

Aloha Renee97526! Yay! You're going to Hawaii!!! I have not stayed at HHV, but almost any hotel will definitely let you go ahead and check in and leave your luggage. And of course you can go enjoy the pool once you've checked in! That's why most folks keep their swimsuits, etc., in their carry-ons so they are easy to access! :-)

HHV is huge, and I cannot imagine there not being a coffee shop nearby. Your friend may get up earlier than she thinks, as there will be a 3 hour time difference. I love to sleep in, but in Hawaii because of the time difference (yep, I am on EDT, but still!), can get up really early compared to home. :-)

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,634 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to Hawaii-

You should make a reservation for Duke's.

Level Contributor
5,948 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to Hawaii-

Waikiki is as safe as any other area in a resort town, probably safer. You only need to use the same common sense as you would if visiting Portland or Seattle.

Northern California...
Level Contributor
1,840 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to Hawaii-

Lappert's ice cream shop in the HHV (just across the driveway from the lobby) also sells coffee and pastries. They open at 6am.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,974 posts
423 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip to Hawaii-

Should be no problem using the pool early, the issue with be finding lounge chairs. In August HHV will be overrun with kids and families.

Lots of places to grab coffee early in the morning on property and off, including Starbucks. Waikiki is a very safe place to walk and because of the time change for most mainlanders you see a lot of people walking the streets, beach and jogging/running in the same areas.

I usually go for a morning walk or run, stop someplace for coffee, read the paper and then run/walk back because I am an early riser.

If you want to walk and get some good coffee, Island Vintage Coffee has a great store in the Royal Hawaiian Center so you could walk down there and then walk through the Royal Hawaiian Hotel to the beach, or walk to the Honolulu Coffee Co in the Moana Surfrider and hit the beach there. It is pretty easy to walk along the beach between HHV and where the Moana/Royal Hawaiian is.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
380 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First trip to Hawaii-

Aloha...we have been tio the HHV many times...truly a beautiful place...one warning however...if you like something in one of the shops ,look around(yes, within the HHV) and you may find the item for quite a bit less. Wait till the end of your trip to buy your souvenirs.

The pools will be crowded...we liked the lagoon area best...and if you are there for a Friday night, definitely do the show and fireworks...very nice. Enjoy with much aloha.

7. Re: First trip to Hawaii-

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, June 18, 2015