We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cocktails

Texas
Level Contributor
2,735 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Cocktails

We will have a fully stocked condo for 5 nights. What are some favorite Hawaiian cocktails you made yourselves in your room. And/or did you buy any pre-mixed cocktails you liked?

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
19,102 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cocktails

Go to a grocery store, look for POG, a juice mix of passion fruit/orange juice/guava juice, mix with your favorite rum! It's a sweet drink, so perhaps a squeeze or two of lime.

Coconut rum and pineapple juice is easy and tasty. If you can find Cruzan Coconut rum, try it. Made in the USVIs, very tasty flavored rums. I found it at a Long's Drug Store on Maui, so it's possibly found at Long's on Oahu, too. Don't overlook Long's for alcohol, some foods, and things like visors, tee shirts, and souvenirs; they have a good selection and fair prices.

St. Paul, MN
Level Contributor
1,039 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cocktails

I like Hawaiian Sun Guava Nectar with Hana Bay Dark Rum floated on top.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,724 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cocktails

Great suggestions already, especially about the POG. Lots of folks seem to like the ready-to-pour Margarita mixes from Costco, though I have not tried it. Our crew macerated Maui Gold pineapple chunks in Costco's (actually very good, according to the "experts" in my family) Vodka for a few days, and enjoyed making that into drinks. We just recently googled Roy's Restaurant's Hawaiian Martini recipe and tried it at home, and it is super good! I am NOT a martini person & only drink on occasion, but Roy's' Hawaiian Martini is really good. And lethal, so no driving afterward! LOL! The website we found our recipe on is on an "under construction" hiatus:

cuisinecapers.com/roys-hawaiian-martini-reci…

But here's another link that has a recipe that is very, very close:

…typepad.com/chicago_restaurant_week/2010/11…

It doesn't have to sit for a full 5 days, but if you can let it sit for at least 2 days, it will make a big difference. And talk about simple? You cut up the pineapple, measure the liquors, cover and let it sit. After a few days, pour it into a cocktail shaker with crushed ice and pour. It is just crazy good. But again for folks like me that rarely drink, they are POWERFUL! So be careful! LOL!!!!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,172 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cocktails

I am a simple guy.... Meyers rum and OJ when I am making my own usually. If I am feeling ambitious I might do a bunch of daiquiris, pineapple, peach, mango, etc.

Planter's Punch is my tropical drink of choice over Mai Tais when I am at a bar.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cocktails

POG as already mentioned, and add either vodka or rum to taste. It's simple and has that oh so Hawaiian flavor! I've even tried to duplicate it at home purchasing separate bottles of juice (since POG isn't available) and mixing them myself. I've come close, but not perfect. Next real taste of it won't be until we set foot on that Hawaiian Airlines flight, and by the time we land I'll probably be floating away from so much of it!

Texas
Level Contributor
2,735 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cocktails

Thanks all! Keep them coming! Can anyone make a simple Blue Hawaii? Has anyone tried the pre-mixed Mai Tais from Costco?

on the road to...
Level Contributor
583 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cocktails

I'd avoid a pre-mixed Mai Tai (or anything) like the plague, but I'm a purist.

If you have an interest in mixing with coconut rum, see if you can find the Koloa (made on Kauai.) Their coconut rum is far superior to any others on the market. Their Dark rum is also excellent.

To step the simple (and delicious!) POG & rum drink up a notch, try rum (the Koloa coconut works nice) with Guava nectar and bit of fresh Auntie Lilikoi Passion Fruit syrup instead (also made on Kauai.) I like a single drop of herby bitters added to balance the sweetness.

For a Blue Hawaii, many would simply use pineapple juice with light rum & blue curacao, but the original Harry Yee recipe is:

In a 12 ounce glass, put ice, then add in this order:

three ozs. fresh pineapple juice,

one oz. sweet and sour

half oz. of blue curacao (preferably Bols).

3/4 oz. vodka

3/4 oz. Puerto Rican rum

Cheers!

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
19,102 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cocktails

<Koloa (made on Kauai.) > Oh, happy days! A Hawaiian made coconut rum? Cannot wait!

on the road to...
Level Contributor
583 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cocktails

They're very good, Plumeria, and the Coconut is a standout!

According to their website it looks like it should be easy to find on Oahu and all the islands - ABC, Whalers, Safeway, Costco, etc. (they offer free tastings at Kilohana Plantation on Kauai.)

http://www.koloarum.com/images/hawaii.pdf

10. Re: Cocktails

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 28, 2015