We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Oahu--need tips on finding a vacation rental

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
First trip to Oahu--need tips on finding a vacation rental

My husband and I will be coming for the first time to Oahu on Aug. 11th, staying for 6 nights before going to Kauai for 5 nights. I want some place that's quiet and centrally located to attractions on both the north and south shores with a kitchen so we can cook our own meals and not far from the beach/snorkeling. Is Kailua the best place to look at? Other areas I should look into? I've checked a few places at Hawaiian Beach Rentals, VRBO and Tripadvisor and it looks like if I want anything more than a studio apartment that has no stove, that I'll have to pay $200+ per night. I'm wondering if there's a way to get a rental cheaper without having to pay all the additional fees through some of these companies? Does more than one company post the same listings and will their fees be similar? Thanks for your suggestions.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
42,986 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: First trip to Oahu--need tips on finding a vacation rental

There is very little reef in Kailua. You can see a few fish and other sea creatures but for over all snorkeling it is very poor.

Singapore
Level Contributor
260 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: First trip to Oahu--need tips on finding a vacation rental

If u change ur mind abt waikiki, u can chk out this link royalkuhiosuites.com. Its a condo one and a half block away from the beach with several managers and reviews are mixed depending on whom you book with but my experience so far w this mgr has been pleasant so far. They seem to cater to the japanese mkt so hopefully the units are equally discerning to japanese standards. We'll be there in June/July and our rates include carpark n wifi. I tried plucking in aug 11 on their online calendar for the smallest suite and it costs 135 plus 13.962% taxes a night. They have pictures of all their units in the condo so u can take a look. Cleaning is Usd157.06 at checkout.

13. Re: First trip to Oahu--need tips on finding a vacation rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 28, 2015