We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surf Lessons on Oahu

New York
1 post
Save Topic
Surf Lessons on Oahu

Does anyone have any recommendations for surfing lessons on Oahu? Thank you very much.

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Surf Lessons on Oahu

good choice, waikiki is the best place in the world for beginning surfing, I would recommend the beach stands on waikiki beach in the moana dukes statue area. Aloha beach services between the outrigger and moana is a good choice. Last time I checked it was $35/hour for a private lesson and $25/hour for a group lesson. Groups lessons are better because it gives you time to paddle out. I have watched people take lesson for years and everyone will catch waves and stand up, plus they usually will have a photo man for a great pic to take home. You have absoultely no chance to catch waves if you try on your own without an instructor if you have no expereince. Do not miss this. Also try the outrigger canoe ride. As a more expensive alternative to the beach boys, there is this group of hawaiian fireman who give lessons, its more of a half day thing in a more private beach. I am sure it is also great but is alot more $

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Surf Lessons on Oahu

I agree w/longboard. Aloha Beach Services outside of Dukes Barefoot Bar is where we always take visitors who want a lesson. But, I've watched others and they seem good as well. Waikiki waves are easy to learn on and the beach boys giving the lessons make sure you'll catch plenty. Group lessons are the best, as longboard says, since they give you time to paddle back out (and rest!) before catching another wave. Sometimes they photog's shoot from the shore and sometimes they are in the water w/you. The shore shots aren't bad but the in water ones are the best. Instead of buying individual shots for something like $15/20 we just get the whole CD for $40 and can edit and print how we like. An especially good deal if your family and friends make of the whole lesson group!

3. Re: Surf Lessons on Oahu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 pm, August 15, 2009