We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - JC and Mukmuk Nov 3-17 - Part 1

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - JC and Mukmuk Nov 3-17 - Part 1

The Details

We are a family group of 15 (+4) on a two week trip to Oahu. I am the middle adult child who has spent the last 10+ months putting the bits and pieces together. We are staying in Ko Olina in 3 townhouses, have 4 vehicles and are all from BC, Canada.

I will post each day as a follow up so it is easier to read.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Ko Olina
Ko Olina
Oahu, HI
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - JC and Mukmuk Nov 3-17 - Part 1

Travel Day

Text received at 4am "flight cancelled - will keep you posted". I assume it's a joke but am wrong.....

I picked Alaska Air because they fly out of both Kelowna and Vancouver with a connecting fight out of Seattle to Honolulu. Great that means that most of the way we can travel together. Or NOT!!!

Hubby and I left our home on Vancouver Island and almost didn't make it to the mainland. The ferries were cancelled due to high wind. Fortunately after an hr delay they decided to go anyhow and we made it to the hotel for a short sleep and were up and ready the next morn for a 4am shuttle to the airport. That's when the text came in.

So, the 5 of us leaving from Vancouver made it to HNL as scheduled. The rest finally arrived at 10 pm. Their 6am flight ut of Kelowna was cancelled "due to weather" and the next flight was 7 hours later. It was a very long day but in the end we were together and happy to be in Hawaii.

There was some weather issues and the flight from Kelowna to Seattle didn't happen. So after all my planning the one option I wasn't

Edited: 3:55 am, November 07, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - JC and Mukmuk Nov 3-17 - Part 1

Ok, not a fan of the mobile site....tried to edit but it wouldn't let me scroll down. Sorry for the messy start. Disregard the last bit of post 1.

I am very tired and not going to struggle with this tonight. Sunrise at Koko Head this morning and many many hours later my brain has gone to mush. The maitais aren't helping me focus LOL!!!

Mentioned in this post
Koko Head Cafe
Koko Head Cafe
366 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,241 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - JC and Mukmuk Nov 3-17 - Part 1

Enjoying your trip report so far.... enjoy the rest of your trip!!

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - JC and Mukmuk Nov 3-17 - Part 1

This sure started off boring. Not the trip, just the report. It's been a number of looong days and short sleeps so I haven't spent much time online.

Day 2

We all managed to sleep in and enjoyed lounging on the patio with coffees and smoothies. Today we took care of business. We had to get groceries, explore the complex and get into relaxation mode.

Dad does a trip around the complex and notices a sign on the pool gate that says closed till Nov. 12. When he reports this I hoped he was kidding but once again I was wrong. I check with the manager and he says that the group areas and BBQs are also off limits.

Oh well, nothing we can do so off we go to Costco. Apparently we plan to drink a lot!!! I am always so excited to see how cheap booze is. Sure wish I wasn't such a lightweight. We buy enough to keep Costco in business for another day and head back. Everyone heads out to find the beach while hubby and I go shopping again.

Due to the fact we had planned group BBQs and there were now none available the condo owners said go ahead and buy one. Amazingly we got a decent unit and full propane tank for a good price at Home Depot. Now we are setup and ready to have fun. Grilled chicken and salad was a perfect first group meal and we are loving the fully stocked kitchen and patio.

Mentioned in this post
Costco
Costco
93 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - JC and Mukmuk Nov 3-17 - Part 1

Day 3

Five out of 15 wanted to do surfing lessons and we thought it was a good idea to get it done right away so there would still be plenty of time to rent a board and practice. As much as I love the ocean, surfing just sounds like too much work. I was happy to take pictures.

We booked with Hawaiian Fire and everyone loved it. (I will do a review). Staff and equipment were great, waves were not exciting but ideal for learning and everyone did well. I was surprised by how quickly they got comfortable on the boards and were riding waves into shore within a few minutes. I could see that the instructors spent plenty of time with each student and could watch the progress with each ride in. The photos were really good too.

After lunch at the condo we headed over to Lagoon 4 for the afternoon. Everyone was snorkelling and marvelling at the fish they could see right close to shore. What a perfect setting for first time snorkellers. We were getting hungry but I was determined not to miss the 3rd sunset in a row. It was gorgeous!

Just when I thought things were settling in one of the golf carts won't start. Conveniently a park guy showed up on an ATV and pushed it back to the complex. Will have to deal with that later.... Another shared meal on the BBQ and a great time visiting with family in the evening.

Edited: 4:33 am, November 08, 2013
Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,422 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - JC and Mukmuk Nov 3-17 - Part 1

Wow! Thanks for reporting. Dealing with a large group and "issues" can be stressful. You seem to be doing great. (..that's words of encouragement). Don't forget to take care of you....and of course, MukMuk. :)

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
3,790 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - JC and Mukmuk Nov 3-17 - Part 1

Have fun JC!!! And you will never guess what I found in the grandkids toy box today.... Mukmuk's cousin!! I will make him my avatar later so they can be re united lol

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report - JC and Mukmuk Nov 3-17 - Part 1

Thanks for leting us know how you're doing so far. It is very different to travel with a group and to have difficult situations.......:.ouch. I am glad it is all getting better. I leave tomorrow for my own Maui group vacation and am very excited at this point!!! Have a blast! Deb

Edited: 12:48 pm, November 08, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report - JC and Mukmuk Nov 3-17 - Part 1

Day 4

It was an obscenely early morning but wow, what a way to start. Alarm went off at 3:30 but I was already up. Today we were hiking Koko Head. I was determined to succeed and survive.

I had surgery on my foot at the end of May and wasn't sure I would be able to do this hike but my sister-in-law challenged me. At the end of August I was able to start doing some prep and was climbing 1000 stairs 3 or 4 times a week. It made no difference, at least none that was immediately apparent.

When they say challenging, they mean it!! When they say grueling, they mean it!! When they say worth every minute and ounce of strength, they mean it!! It's hard and there are no stairs that compare. That said, the satisfaction level was immeasurable. I am sure this is no big deal to many. In fact we saw plenty of older folks coming down at 6am so they must have made it to the top ain complete darkness.. For myself, it was amazing and I am quite pleased that I was able to do it AND enjoy it. The views are truly fantastic and we were even surprised with a beautiful sunrise as a reward. Tomorrow I will sort out the trip wow and get something posted so you can see how gorgeous it was.

After the hike we drive to Kailua and stopped in at Agnes' Portugese Bakery. I heard their malasadas were better than Leonards. Worth doing some taste testing and no better time than after climbing Koko Head. Well, I have to say, they ARE better. Nothing really specific, just overall a nicer texture, flavor and even the darker color seemed tastier. We picked up a few things from the bakery and they were all fabulous.

The afternoon was spent relaxing at the lagoon, followed by a beautiful sunset and someone else cooking dinner. Well deserved I think.

Mentioned in this post
Koko Head Cafe
Koko Head Cafe
366 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kailua
Kailua
Oahu, HI
NORTH CAROLINA
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report - JC and Mukmuk Nov 3-17 - Part 1

So glad you're enjoying your time with your family and Mukmuk!

A 1000 stairs oy!