We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Part 1

maidstone, england
Level Contributor
370 posts
103 reviews
71 helpful votes
Trip Report Part 1

First off Aloha, and thank you so much for all the advice I have received before our trip, your help was invaluable. Its a bit of a long report so will split it up. We were a party of 2 my daughter (22) and me the mum (57), we had a ball, we got to do nearly everything we had hoped we could do and things we had not even planned on.

So We set off on 5th October for our mammoth 24 hour in total journey to get to Hawaii. We were staying at the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach, fantastic, we checked in with no problems we were allocated a room on the 14th floor (city view) it was a corner room we had a view of the ocean and we were on the side of the cheesecake factory, which we were really pleased about, we had fantastic views. We unpacked and went to bed, bit of a shame but were so tired,

Sunday we were up washed and out by about 8.30 a.m.! we had decided to walk down to see the art on the fence, lovely artwork. We slowly walked back again getting a bit peckish now so decided to have some breakfast at Dukes, had a bit of a wait, no more than 15 mins, but it was so worth it, we got to sit by the railings and what a view to be had eating your first meal in Hawaii, I opted for 3 different types of pancakes, pina colada bread pudding!, bacon, and some fresh fruit. We then walked up the beach toward Fort Derussy Park, back along the main streets getting some supplies from ABC stores, then it was our first swim in the ocean, fantastic. We stayed there till early afternoon when we were washed and decided to eat at the Hula Grill, great choice and then sleep was catching up with us so early to bed.

Monday, Up really early 4.30 ish! we are off to Ala Manoa Falls today on the bus, We managed the bus o.k. with the transfers at shopping centre, and the driver was really helpful telling us where to go when we got off at the falls and where to catch the bus back. It was a little muddy to say the least in places, but we had a ball the views and those waterfalls, awesome. So glad we got there early before it got full. We caught the bus back got washed and changed and went off to explore ChinaTown (I should say we had bought a bus pass for 4 days). We ate there in a little dim sum restaurant, explored around the area looking at temples the market, before we caught the bus back to Waikiki and our walk along the beach before bed.

Tuesday, we were off to the Polynesian Centre for the day, the mini bus picked us up at 10.25 and we were taken there and everything explained to us on the bus, had a good trip up there, we had already splashed out on the Super Ambassador ticket so we were taken off with our personal tour guide for the day Scott, he was lovely we had a really good time, the luau was excellent and the food so good, the Breath of Ha show mesmerising, all too quickly it was time to say good bye and catch the bus back.

Wednesday, Up early and off to the Stadium for the flea market, had fun wandering around, bought some bits and pieces, then got the bus back to china town for another wander round and then we went to Lolani Palace, really lovely, the audio guide was great, what a fantastic Palace it was and still is, we were then hungry so back to china town to a little student type cafe for a pannini. Back to Waikiki for a swim and watch the sunset. We were eating at Doraku Sushi Restaurant, very nice was impressed, and especially with a Tempura Brownie and Ice Cream, what a wonderful combination. Then home and bed.

Thursday, Well its Pearl Harbour day, I did have tickets for the Bowfin and the Arizona, and they were still closed to us, but we went along to see the Missouri and the Aircraft Hangers. Had to re purchase tickets for these two tours again, and was told I could claim the money back when the website went back on line. The Missouri was great, the audio tour amazingly helpful. We saw the Arizona from land and we were given a talk about the lead up to Pearl Harbour. We got on the shuttle to the Aircraft Hangers and wandered around there before catching the bus back to Waikiki. Once back a quick change and swam for a while before having dinner at the Hula Grill. We had tried to get into a few other restaurants but they were all full, we then started to book tables in advance, did not want to get caught out again.

Friday, Up early again and caught the bus to Diamond Head for our hike, we took plenty of water and some food to keep us going. What views, Stunning, did not know in the end what view to click next!. We then went and caught the bus back and went back to the hotel to change (rather sweaty!) We decided to swim for some of the afternoon and we booked our lessons for surfing for Saturday. we went to Tanaka of Tokyo, fantastic, wish I could cut up the food as quickly and accurately as that chef!

Our first week over with. How fast it went,

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
144 posts
14 reviews
13 helpful votes
1. Re: Trip Report Part 1

Thanks for sharing , my daughter and I hawaii bound in 27 days ..... How much was your super ambassador deal? Would you recommend that option with the price- did it include transfers from Waikiki?

Dallas
Level Contributor
29,245 posts
79 reviews
42 helpful votes
2. Re: Trip Report Part 1

Thanks for posting, sounds like a busy first week but a great time. Looking forward to the next part of your report.

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,414 posts
22 reviews
38 helpful votes
3. Re: Trip Report Part 1

Was this your first trip to Hawaii? Sounds like it is living up to your expectations. Your hotel is one of my favorites; good choice!

NORTH CAROLINA
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
16 helpful votes
4. Re: Trip Report Part 1

Great sounds like you had a good first week and got out and explored even just using the bus good for you!

Thanks for sharing your trip with us.

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
72 reviews
61 helpful votes
5. Re: Trip Report Part 1

Great trip report. Looking forward to Part 2...

maidstone, england
Level Contributor
370 posts
103 reviews
71 helpful votes
6. Re: Trip Report Part 1

Yes this was our first trip to Hawaii, lived up to the dream.

Kylie Diamond the PCC package cost £491.83 for the two of us, and that included 10% off I think as we booked in advance, that was super ambassador which included everything and anything, seed lei, personal tour guide, prime seating for the breath of ha show, the luau, and also for any of the little shows that were on in each of the villages. We bought the transfer for $30 which meant it was a mini bus, consequently we got picked up at 10.25 from our hotel. I think we were the first ones off the bus on the return, which meant it was not too late in getting home, rather nice. I know it was a lot of money, but to me, trip of a life time don't skimp. We also got given a DVD of the show, programmes, information DVD on the PCC, and that was one each. Fantastic time.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
55,780 posts
3 reviews
5 helpful votes
7. Re: Trip Report Part 1

Thanks for the report. Off to find part 2!!

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
30,273 posts
8. Re: Trip Report Part 1

Very nice trip report so far.

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
3,109 posts
93 reviews
50 helpful votes
9. Re: Trip Report Part 1

I have enjoyed this enormously and will add the links to parts 1&2 to my blog today. :)

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
30,615 posts
10. Re: Trip Report Part 1

Aloha,

Mahalo for your report