We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Draft one-week Oahu itinerary

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Draft one-week Oahu itinerary

I will have 8 nights on Oahu at the end of August and I am currently trying to work out how long to stay and where to get a good feel for the variety of the island but without too much rushing around.

My initial thought is to do something like:

> 3 nights Waikiki

> 2 nights Kailua (or nearby)

> 2 nights somewhere on the North Shore

> 1 night Honolulu (somewhere not to far from the airport with a very early flight the next morning).

This way, we would rent a car from leaving Waikiki to arriving in Honolulu (or wherever the final night is).

Does this seem sensible and give enough variety? We will probably break up each day with some walks, sightseeing, snorkelling etc. We will have some beach/pool time but that won't be the main focus of the trip.

Many thanks for any advice you can offer.

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,872 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Draft one-week Oahu itinerary

Oahu is not that big of a island. You can drive around it (through the central plateau) in about 3 hours. IMO it is not worth moving that many times since you do lose time with each move. I would split it between Waikiki and North Shore and just drive to the other parts.

There are only a few airport hotels which do not have very good reviews here. Waikiki is about 13 km from the airport, so if your flight is really early in the morning, you might not have to worry about traffic.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Draft one-week Oahu itinerary

There's plenty of variety right in Waikiki, or on day trips from there, so I would limit it to only 1 move if I were you. One of the things we like there vs. Maui or Kauai is that you don't have to get out and drive somewhere new everyday to find something to do or see.

Maybe 4 nights in Waikiki then 4 nights in Kailua or the North Shore if you are thinking you want more of the quaint, peaceful atmosphere though. We had considered doing 6 nights in Waikiki and then 3 nights in the small town of Hauula through a VRBO rental, and it's something I still want to do some day. The issue of legal vacation rentals is a little touchy there and in Kailua/Lanikai though. Turtle Bay is the only North Shore resort.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,492 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Draft one-week Oahu itinerary

Understand that you are planning very late during a peak vacation season.

First, you don't need to hop around so much. Perhaps cut your nights in half - with the first part in Kailua (if you can find accomodations) and the second half on Waikiki. There is no need to get an airport hotel. Waikiki is not terribly far from the airport ... and the airport hotels are in an industrial area. It would be terribly sad to spend your last day in Hawaii there!

If you can't find anything in Kailua (a few condos and vacation rentals) - then stay at Turtle Bay on the North Shore. (I would stay at Turtle Bay.) There is no need to hop to both.

Pick up your car at the airport when you arrive and go to Turtle Bay or Kailua. Then spend your last nights on Waikiki. You may want to hang on to the car for a couple days while you are on Waikiki.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Draft one-week Oahu itinerary

Many thanks for the replies, this has been incredibly useful.

I will definitely look into making two stops rather than more as originally intended - so something like 4 nights in one of the North Shore area or Kailua and 4 nights in Waikiki.

The airport hotels don't sound appealing so we will just leave from Waikiki on the final day - the flight is so early that I wouldn't expect much traffic anyway.

I acknowledge the point about the late planning so realise beggars can't be choosers when it comes to booking the accommodation in the smaller towns.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,941 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Draft one-week Oahu itinerary

I am not sure you'll find a place in Kailua for just 2 nights and even if you could I am not sure two nights would be worth it.

I'd probably book 5 nights Waikiki to start and visit Kailua/Lanikai as a day trip then do 2 nights at Turtle Bay and the last night at the Ohana at the airport.

Edited: 1:20 pm, July 08, 2013
6. Re: Draft one-week Oahu itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 10, 2014