We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - coffee

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
386 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - coffee

As a token of appreciation to all the contributors and to the destination experts that give their time to help us "tourists" out, I wanted to write a simple little report on my trip to Oahu from a coffee perspective. Much credit should be given to the many people who helped me find my way.

The Land:

The Hawaiian islands are truly unique, not just from a aesthetic perspective, but there is something special in the soil. Perhaps it inherent to lands that border volcanoes. Be it fruits, vegetables, vines or coffee trees, there is just nothing else like it. And it is unique to each land, whether it be the wines that border Etna in Sicily or the coffee plantations in Kona.

Green coffee beans:

Originally I posted a question about purchasing green beans to roast at home, and I got great advice. For those that are interested in this specific topic, the only place I could purchase green beans on Oahu was Waialua Coffee Estate. There isn't much to see there, the "tour" if you can call it that, is about 5 minutes in the back of the barn. and they show you some of the cocoa beans (tasty) and talk about the coffee estate. You can buy cocoa beans too.

The conversation alone was worth the trip to me, but I am easily swept away when my favourite topics are discussed. Waialua Coffee Estate is owned by the Dole company, and they are the only coffee plantation on the island of Oahu. They have very serious coffees, and both green and roasted are available for purchase. The roasted comes in the vacuum packaging that most people know. They have tastings, and if you are lucky (I was not), there is a master roaster in the place (not related to the farm per se, but an enjoyable fellow who has much knowledge and is willing to share some good conversation).

I was able to bring both roasted and green beans back home. The department of Agriculture scanned by bags and they didn't say a word, so I guess it is ok to bring these items home (you may want to check on your own if you wish).

Coffee houses: I only visited 2 coffee places. The Beach Bum Cafe, and the Honolulu Coffee Company. I have written reports on both of these places. I learned so much at the Beach Bum Cafe. I should have written so much of that information down because it is hard to remember it all. The Hawaiian islands contain many extremely good coffee areas - from my knowledge, there isn't an island that does not have a coffee area. The map is on the wall. I learned so much just hanging around every day. And the coffee is extremely good - the best I have ever had. Simply made, the delicate and complex flavours come out from the attention paid to every cup. Each cup is made to order - weighed, ground and then made to perfection. Nothing extra is needed - such as sugar or milk. In fact, as true coffee lovers know, a cup of coffee that is outstanding should be drunk plain. Over the 5 days that I was there, I drank 3 daily cups and I went thru the entire menu. Absolutely fantastic. As well, I would be remiss if I didn't mention the wonderful people that work there. With their enthusiasm, concentration on making the perfect cup and knowledge to the topic, you would think they belonged to some religious coffee cult! The cafe also has a little Hawaiian coffee book, that I perused while enjoying my daily visit, and in the end I asked the owner and he obtained by a couple of copies. I recommend that you pick one up. I have read it and enjoyed it very much. My only negative comment is that this is a coffee place - there is just a small selection of some nibbles. I guess if they offered food, I would never leave, so maybe it is intentional.

The Honolulu Coffee Company is a wonderful and more traditional coffee shop. It has the food that most people attribute to a coffee shop and it is in a beautiful building, wonderfully appointed and right in the heart of Waikiki. The regular coffee to me was quite good, just not outstanding. It was a Kona blend. The barista told me it was about 30% Kona, with a good portion of Sumatra (I think) and some others. With the Beach Bum Cafe closed on Sundays, I returned to the HCC and gave it a second chance. I read the board carefully, trying to find something good to have and I landed on the 100% Kona French Press. The menu board stated that it is 24oz, so you will need a friend if you order this. Boy am I glad I have it another chance. This cup reminded me of the Kona coffee I had on the Big Island back in 2011. It was absolutely perfect.

That's it folks. I wish all coffee lovers happy travels and please, please pass along any new finds back here on this website. I need to review in a few years, because as the Californian governator used to say, "I'll be back".

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Waialua
Waialua
Oahu, HI
Honolulu Coffee
Honolulu Coffee
605 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,761 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - coffee

This is absolutely fabulous reading, thank you so much for posting it. :)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
386 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - coffee

My pleasure.

maidstone, england
Level Contributor
340 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - coffee

Brilliant, loved reading about the coffee, put both places down on my hit list for October. Do love a good cup of coffee, thank you so much.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
70 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - coffee

Thanks much. Headed to Oahu shortly and am putting These spots on my hit list. Re: BI coffee, definitely recommend trying Ka'u also if you have not had the chance.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
51,250 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - coffee

Awesome, peterpel, thank you so much for this report.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - coffee

thank you. I love coffee, too so especially enjoyed your report. On my next trip I'll try to get to the Beach bum Cafe but Honolulu Coffee is a certainty. I've always wanted to try it but don't know if you can take your coffee out to the veranda to drink under the banyan tree. would that be allowed? I wouldn't want to be asked to leave so have been afraid to try it.

Mentioned in this post
Honolulu Coffee
Honolulu Coffee
605 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
386 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - coffee

For the french press coffee, I guess you need 2 12oz cups to take with you. They will have cups, you just have to let it steep a bit. Ask them and I am sure they will help you out.

Please head out to Beach Bum Cafe. I know it is far, and nothing else to do there, but it is a special place. Very unassuming, so you have to sit down and enjoy the way they work. They are super friendly too. Tell them Peter from Canada sends his love and that I miss them. I have 8 pounds of their coffee here at home, but I am going thru it very quickly. I will be very sad when it is all over.

I guess this is the stuff that makes you wanna come back.

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,561 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report - coffee

Honolulu coffee company always has the kona blend as coffee of the day, but if you come in a few times and point it out to you they will get you a peaberry which is a lot better. I also like the waffles, little pricey but love em

Mentioned in this post
Honolulu Coffee
Honolulu Coffee
605 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
386 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report - coffee

The blend is ok, the 100% Kona is much better - imo. I saw the peaberry but I already had about as much liquids as i could with the french press. My wife is petite, so I drank more than 1/2 of the 24oz.

You are all just telling me what I already know - gotta head back and continue the journey of discovery!

I agree with you and enjoy peaberrys more. I just didn't try theirs.

Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,931 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report - coffee

Maliboo, in Feb. we got our coffee to go from the Honolulu Coffee Co. Never made it to the Banyan Tree...always ended up parked in the rockers watching the newlyweds! Fun times and good coffee!

Mentioned in this post
Honolulu Coffee
Honolulu Coffee
605 Reviews
Oahu, HI