We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short trip report May 6 through May 16

Dallas
Level Contributor
25,914 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Short trip report May 6 through May 16

Posting as a reply

Dallas
Level Contributor
25,914 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short trip report May 6 through May 16

We just returned from 10 nights in Waikiki yesterday staying at the Marriott Waikiki Beach. Other than not our favorite location, we had a great stay with a fabulous view of the water and Waikiki Beach. Will miss not getting up and opening those blinds to that fabulous view!!

Weather was fantastic and had no rain, nice breezes, and only one day was a little cloudy to keep the water color from being the usually beautiful rainbow of blues and greens. I’m going to enlarge a picture I have from our lanai and mount it in our bedroom window. That way, I can wake my wife up with the same slinging open of the blinds and seeing that incredible view. Kind of gets the day started right.

We ate at most of our usual places such as Dukes, Chuck’s Steakhouse (wow what a view from the rail), Yardhouse, Jimmy Buffets, Shorebird, and a new place called Side Street Inn. Side Street Inn gets great reviews and I had never heard of it before, but my cousin took us there and it was pretty good. Next door is the “Lust Lounge” !! LOL So, it’s not on the beaten path to say the least. My wife would not let us go in there though so I can’t vouch for it !! It was supposed to be a locals place so when we sat down next to a table of nice Asians, imagine our shock to find out they were from Dallas, Texas ! But, as usual we met lots of really nice people from Australia, New Zealand and Canada, not to mention other parts of the U.S.

We met Andy from Overland Park, Kansas (trip advisor poster) one day at the Hula Grill for happy hour. Since I grew up in Overland Park, we had lots of things to talk about. Very nice guy and really enjoyed our visit with him too. Did not run into jet83 this time although I kept looking for him. Maybe will see him in October as I met him last time we were there.

Our days were pretty much all the same, sit on our lanai and stare at the view until the shade was gone on our lanai, drink coffee and just relax. We did not leave Waikiki this trip at all and loved every minute of it. Strolling around and shopping in the afternoons, going to eat somewhere and enjoy an evening cocktail at our regular places, watching the street performers, stroll through International Marketplace (anxious to see what they are going to do with that), down to Waikiki Beachwalk, and then back to our lanai to see the sunset and enjoy a cocktail on our lanai.

There was a surprise parade on Saturday that was fun to watch from our room, and surprise fireworks right out on the water in front of our hotel one evening. We could also see the HHV fireworks from our room only slightly obscured by the hotels.

Saw only one fight in the homeless area, and lots more people on the sidewalk riding bicycles, skateboards and Segways. They need to clamp down on the skateboarders and bicycles because many were going entirely too fast and cutting in and out of the pedestrians. Some of the pedestrians are older and not able to move too quick (not us of course) and it is dangerous I think. I’m surprised that the police are not doing more to enforce those laws.

One trick that I showed someone that they were thrilled with so I thought I would mention here. If you wear polarized sunglasses, you know how much prettier the water is with the glare removed by your sunglasses. So, I take my sunglasses off and take pictures with my cheap digital camera through the lens of my sunglasses. It makes the picture look like you see through your sunglasses and is much prettier. Maybe that is an idea someone can use.

So, now we just have to start our countdown to the end of September for our next trip. Oh how are we going to make it? I just don’t know

Aloha to all

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Waikiki Beach
Waikiki Beach
14,827 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Chuck's Steak House
Chuck's Steak House
692 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Side Street Inn
Side Street Inn
749 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Aloha Hawaii Tours
Aloha Hawaii Tours
1,273 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
51,269 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short trip report May 6 through May 16

Thanks placebets, sounds like you had a fabulous time. Did you go to the Side Street Inn on Kapahulu or the other one?

Mentioned in this post
Side Street Inn
Side Street Inn
749 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short trip report May 6 through May 16

Thanks for your trip report Placebets, great to hear you had another fantastic holiday. Only 13 sleeps for us until we are there. We are staying at the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach this time, in part due to your fantistic reviews of the place, can't wait :)

Mentioned in this post
Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort
Outrigger Waikiki Beach...
5,331 Reviews
Oahu, HI
South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,786 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short trip report May 6 through May 16

Here are my questions for you. :)

1. What floor in the Marriott?

2. What did you eat at the Side Street Inn?

3. How did the international marketplace look? I've read that it is a little bit empty - are the vendors clearing out? Or is there just as much awesome there as always?

4. What kind of cocktail on the lanai?

I will also mention - Googling for lust lounge honolulu brings up some very interesting results! Including Zombie Lust who is a DJ, and lust resort which is a fashion line. Sadly no results for the actual lust lounge which is a shame because I will like to know more about this, lol. :)

September is still sooner than I get to go.. :) I'm glad you are back, it was kinda odd not seeing your avatar in the threads as much.

PS we will like the photo from the lanai as well - if you don't have anywhere to host it online you can email it to me and I'll give you a link you can post. ;)

Mentioned in this post
Side Street Inn
Side Street Inn
749 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Dallas
Level Contributor
25,914 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Short trip report May 6 through May 16

msfuzz - it's on Hopaka Street.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60982-d46…

You mean you don't know where the Lust Lounge is ?? LOL

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
627 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Short trip report May 6 through May 16

Glad you had a great time Placebets. Looking forward to my next trip in September, and must try the trick of photographs through the lens of my sunglasses.

John.

Dallas
Level Contributor
25,914 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Short trip report May 6 through May 16

Cal - well I'm jealous and sure hope you enjoy your stay at the Outrigger. Be sure to try to get a room on the Diamond Head side. If they don't first offer that, tell them to give you some other options and go and see the rooms before you complete check in. They are usually pretty good about that.

bedoo -

19th floor - look at my pics for the view we had. That is actually a picture from last year but we were in exactly the same room only 2 floors higher this year, so you can get the idea.

We had a teriyaki chicken, kal bi (Charbroiled Korean style short ribs), pork sliders, sautéed mushrooms, and Lup Cheong Fried Rice. Beef was a little tough, but man what a flavor. We had so much, we shared some rice and mushrooms with the people at the next table and still had lots of left overs.

IMP still looked about the same to me as always. Doesn't look like they have done anything as of yet.

Sometimes a beer and wife likes wine coolers, or sometimes a mai-tai from ABC fixins. We like bloody Mary's too but did not do any of those this time. Wife is a "lava flow" girl if we are at a bar somewhere.

Can you get the picture off of my TA pictures? The bottom 2 pics are day and evening from the lanai last year and pretty much exactly like this year except 2 floors lower. If not, send me a PM with an email and I will gladly send it to you.

Mentioned in this post
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
153 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
51,269 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Short trip report May 6 through May 16

I'm going to try this one, it's closer to my condo!!

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60982-d19…

Dallas
Level Contributor
25,914 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Short trip report May 6 through May 16

Just in the interest of full disclosure, we used Hawaii23 both to and from the airport. Great service and on-time. Mark was not the driver either time, but still had someone there.

msfuzz - I see where that one is so now I know about where you live !!! haha

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
302 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Short trip report May 6 through May 16

What a nice laid back time...enjoyed reading your report.