We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report highlights

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
128 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
Trip report highlights

Flew Alaska, arrived 1/2 hour early thanks to a nice tail wind. Hiked Waimea Audubon to the water fall and took a swim. Ate at a couple different shrimp trucks. Had shaved ice at aokis and uncle clays. Uncle clays wins. :). Watched surfers at pipeline. Snorkeled at 3 tables. Surf was a bit up so just so-so snorkeling. Found the LOST beach camp from season 2 on, signed the guest book someone left there. Found a huge sea turtle sleeping on the beach there so it was just me and him which was pretty cool. Went to a spot vis Oahu Revealed book and a whale was there so that was very cool. (This was a public access so no lectures on the book please. I don't trespass and the books are wonderful in my opinion) toured around the island and took all the turnouts and sightseeing spots. Went to Lanikai twice. Kailua beach once. Very nice but Kua on the BI still my favorite beach. :). Swam at the Magnum beach, robins nest. That was cool. Loved that show. Food wise, ate at Cheesecake Factory twice. Very popular, food was really good. Took dessert to go for later. Had drinks one day at margaritaville, perfect margarita. My favorite. 2 knocked me on my rear end. Lol. Had cheeseburger one night, juicy burgers. Not sure what I'm forgetting but if I think of something else I will post. Had a wonderful time, weather was great. We stayed at royal kuhio, our timeshare. Rented with Enterprise, $160 for 8 days thru Costco.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
24,230 posts
265 reviews
171 helpful votes
1. Re: Trip report highlights

Wow! You covered a lot, both in terms of your trip and the concise way you summarized it! I am unfamiliar with Uncle Clay's shave ice, but will look for it. I wish there had been a guest book at the LOST beach camp when we were there, but the show was filming its last season then. Thanks for sharing!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
128 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
2. Re: Trip report highlights

A couple more things: China Town was amazing! Wow! It was like being in another country. Definitely worth a trip. Bishop Museum was very cool. I'm really not that into museums but time just flew by there. Iolani palace we did the self guided tour. They have hand held devices and head phones. I highly recommend it.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
128 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
3. Re: Trip report highlights

Ddffpp, if you go to restaurants on oahu uncle clays is #1. They sell shaved ice, ice cream and a few other things. They make the toppings there so all fresh. I watched the guy with fresh pineapple blending it for toppings. I had the mango and pineapple. The favors were so good.

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
3,109 posts
93 reviews
50 helpful votes
4. Re: Trip report highlights

Uncle Clays house of pure Aloha -

http://www.houseofpurealoha.com

I will add your trip report to the sidebar on my blog. :) and I added the Uncle Clays link too..

Can you tell us more about the spot from Oahu Revealed?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
128 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
5. Re: Trip report highlights

Sure, the spot I was referring to is on page 62, the version I have is I think the very first printing. It's called the spitting cave of portlock. It's just before hanauma bay. You turn on portlock or lunalilo road. I just used the map from the revealed book to find it. There is a public beach access between a couple houses. The book describes it as a 2 minute walk down a steep path to an unnervingly constant slopping bluff, but We didn't find it that bad. It takes you out onto a sandstone area. Very pretty view.

The reason I like the revealed books so much is thank take you in a circle around the island and tell you the good sights to stop at. We would never have found this spot without the book. Another spot tha was off the beaten track, but public access was up north at La'ie point. (Page 80)

I also wasn't sure of the exact spot of Pipeline but the book gave precise directions. Another park to visit I had no idea about was Pu'u o Mahuka Heiau. Take the path to a wonderful view of Waimea Bay and the coastline.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
55,856 posts
3 reviews
5 helpful votes
6. Re: Trip report highlights

Thanks for the report, Kona_wahinie. Just an FYI, the Audubon Society hasn't been part of Waimea Valley since 2006. waimeavalley.net/about.aspx

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,272 posts
74 reviews
51 helpful votes
7. Re: Trip report highlights

Sounds like a wonderful trip. Thanks for sharing your trip highlights!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
128 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
8. Re: Trip report highlights

Msfuzz, you're right, of course. I got that stuck in my head somehow. Lol.

A couple other highlights were the punchbowl cemetery and the Tantalus drive with a stop at Pu'u Ualaka'a state park at the lookout. Wow, what a view!!

Also went to Mokule'io beach, across from Dillingham airfield. Found a beautiful spot past the airfield that was protected and sandy. What a wonderful beach with less than 10 people there.

Going through my pictures so may remembers other things. :)

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
30,287 posts
9. Re: Trip report highlights

Nice trip report. Thanks.

10. Re: Trip report highlights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 17, 2014