We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

50 First Dates - Restaurant

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
416 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
50 First Dates - Restaurant

The restaurant that Drew Berrymore in 50 First Dates kept going to, was it at Oahu? If so what is it called? Where is it? Has anyone been to it? Was the food good? We would love to go and check it out if it is in Oahu... Thanks!!

underwater
Level Contributor
48 posts
1. Re: 50 First Dates - Restaurant

Hi,

The Hukilau Cafe was fictional, unfortunately. The restaurant scenes were filmed at a sound stage in LA, and the outside view was created by large photo murals with special effects to make the water shimmer and they had people and birds walking by to make it appear realistic. The house she lived in was an actual home on Kaneohe Bay on Oahu, which was rented from the owners and expanded for the film.

Waikiki, Hawaii
Level Contributor
983 posts
28 reviews
252 helpful votes
2. Re: 50 First Dates - Restaurant

The Cafe that they keep meeting at is actually a shanty they fixed up for the movie. It is located on a fish farm on the eastern side of Oahu.

USA
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
18 helpful votes
3. Re: 50 First Dates - Restaurant

The DVD special features explains the process. The exterior was shot at Kualoa Ranch and the interior in Los Angeles.

There were three major sets built on stages at the Culver Studios and at Sony Studios in Los Angeles. The first was the interior of the Hukilau Café, the interior of the Whitmore house and the interior of Henry's office.

"So we hung a huge translight with the background of the Kualoa Ranch and fish pond, and we brought in cars that were parked outside the café. We colored dirt to resemble the red earth you find in Oahu and added lots of tropical greenery."

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
809 posts
29 reviews
65 helpful votes
4. Re: 50 First Dates - Restaurant

Link for info:

hollywoodjesus.com/50_first_dates_about.htm

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
416 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
5. Re: 50 First Dates - Restaurant

Oh well... Thanks all!! I was hoping it was a real restaurant and that the name was only changed for the film as they do to other places... :(

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
5 reviews
51 helpful votes
6. Re: 50 First Dates - Restaurant

bumping this because we rented "50 First" a couple of weeks ago, loved it, and have been wondering the same thing; appreciate all the info (even though a bit of a letdown).

Lancaster, Ohio
Level Contributor
455 posts
1 review
6 helpful votes
7. Re: 50 First Dates - Restaurant

I too was hoping it was a real restaurant on Oahu but I googled it and found all of the info on the movie sets and filming on the net and was disappointed when I found out it wasn't real. It would of been a great place to go and have breakfast or lunch and just sit and relax and look at the scenery. But at least the drive up the east coast that Drew does is real and so amazing and beautiful. Can't wait to get back in a couple of months to see it again.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
3 helpful votes
8. Re: 50 First Dates - Restaurant

Aloha

I don't know if this helps you or not, but 12months ago I did a hummer movie set tour on Oahu. It was really interesting, we had our own private guide and he took us to alot of the locations where they shot different parts of 50 first dates. He showed us where they set up the restaurant, and latter took it down ... as well as some other interesting locations

It was also great to see where some of LOST is shot

I really recommend the tour if you are interested in seeing where they shoot a lot of the moview in Hawaii

If you're looking for somewhere cute it eat try the Crouching Lion Resaurant. I went there for lunch while on another tour group. It was cute, across from the beach, and a similar sort of atmosphere as what you would belive existed in the 50 first dates movie. The food wasn't outrageously fantastic - but a cute location. Bewarned though, a lot of tour groups do stop there for lunch

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
5 reviews
51 helpful votes
9. Re: 50 First Dates - Restaurant

Mahalo for the info mariannem; do you have a phone #, or know of a link, for the tour?

We never miss Crouching Lion; especially nice for dinner with the torches going & less traffic. I seem to recall seeing an article awhile back reporting that CR had changed owners. No detailed records, but would guess that 75+% of the time an ownership/management change occurs (in a place we like) things go downhill...if not fall off a cliff; sure hope not the case this time.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
3 helpful votes
10. Re: 50 First Dates - Restaurant

this is the link

http://www.koshawaii.com/

http://www.koshawaii.com/Movie3hour.html

we did the 3hr tour, which was plenty

if you have any more questions drop me an email

mariannemathews@yahoo.com