We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Waikiki hotels for young adults

Auburn, California
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Best Waikiki hotels for young adults

My two friends and I are planning a 6-7 day trip to Oahu this August. We are all 23 year old girls and want to know if anyone has any recommendations on which hotel to stay at. Our budget is about $4,000 towards hotel, food/drinks, and activities (flight is paid for).

Any input is helpful :)

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,424 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Waikiki hotels for young adults

So $300 a night for 6 nights is $1,800. That gets you some pretty good hotels.

The hipper hotels for the younger set are The Waikiki Parc Hotel and The Modern Honolulu. Some here don't like the Modern's location; I think Waikiki is so small it is irrelevant. If you had kids ages 4 & 6, I might say yeah, it is too far Ewa (east), but being where it is, it is also closer to Ala Moana Mall.

I'd also look at the Hyatt Regency Waikiki, the Royal Hawaiian, Moana Surfrider, Outrigger Waikiki and Outrigger Reef, and in that order.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,048 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Waikiki hotels for young adults

It would help us greatly to know what YOU want in a hotel.

Always count your nights, not your days.

You have a healthy budget ...

Is a hotel located on the beach important to you? Look at the Reef, the Outrigger Waikiki, The Sheraton, the Royal Hawaiian and the Moana Surfrider.

How about across the street from the beach? The Hyatt? The Marriott?

Is a fancy pool important? The Sheraton Waikiki.

Large rooms? A TOWER room at the Moana Surfrider or any room at the Hyatt.

As you can tell, there are all kinds of variables, but each of the hotels mentioned above has a great location.

Embassy Suites is about 1/2 block from the beach - great location. Check them out as well.

This is a rough hotel map of Waikiki.

discounthotelshawaii.com/waikikimap.html

If you scroll down and click on the property you are considering, this website will show you an aerial shot. I generally disregard the commentary.

hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/oahu/oah…

Auburn, California
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Waikiki hotels for young adults

If I could have exactly what I wanted I would have:

nice size pool (doesn't have to be extremely fancy)

close to/on the beach (embassy suites is still a good option)

full bar

free wifi

breakfast provided

decent sized room

My one friend has a Hilton employee discount so we have been looking at those. I'm just not sure we even need the discount.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,048 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Waikiki hotels for young adults

Why do you want a package with breakfast? There are so many great places to have breakfast on Waikiki. Do you really want to hang around the resort and eat breakfast there every day?

Bar - no problem.

Free Wi-Fi - probably all those listed.

Remember that on Waikiki ... the beach is the attraction ... not the pool.

Auburn, California
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Waikiki hotels for young adults

If we want to save our spending for other activities while we are there, then yes, we do want to save on food. Food isn't our main priority, especially not breakfast. And we would like to spend time on the beach and at the pool so a nice pool would be great.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,424 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Waikiki hotels for young adults

I would look at all the hotels I mentioned in the first post and then compare what those hotels would cost compared to the Embassy Suites or Hilton Hawaiian Village at the Ali'i Tower with the employee discount. If the saving is unbeatable, that is hard to argue with. If it just 10 or 20%, I'd probably choose one of the ones I mentioned in post #1.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,048 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Waikiki hotels for young adults

I was in your town on Sunday!

Anyway - please, please read about Oahu. Get a good map and a good travel guide or two. If you want the pool and the beach - save your $$ and go to San Diego. Will you have a car? You need to get out of the hotel and see the sights - both in Honolulu and around the gorgeous Island. There is a ton of things to do!

Understand that many hotels will have a package that includes breakfast ... a few include breakfast in the room rate. But if you have a day of fun planned ... do you want to (again) hang around the hotel? The package won't necessary save you money ... but it tends to make you stay put. Don't make breakfast your deciding factor. One more thing ... you can eat and shop and drink and use the spas at any of the hotels. Walk in and browse around. The pools are off-limits, though.

Auburn, California
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Waikiki hotels for young adults

@ scott, thank you I appreciate it

@BLBL--I don't know why you assume I am just going to stay at my hotel all day...I never said that. I also never said that breakfast and the pool were deciding factors. I just want to have a nice hotel to return to. You can't really blame us for wanting luxury, especially on our budget. And I have actually lived in San Diego for the last 4 years so no thanks. And no, no car.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,630 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Waikiki hotels for young adults

Outrigger Waikiki is in the middle of everything. One nice thing about Embassy is that it is a suite, which would give you some extra room/privacy. My girlfriend and i went about the same age. ... Our budget was peanuts. We stayed at what was then the Hawaii Polo Inn and put the chest of drawers in front of the door at night. Good times :)

Anyway, Embassy also includes a hot breakfast. It will likely have lots of families, due to the setup, but really I predict you'll have a great time no matter where you stay.

If you get a room with a fridge, you could stock up on yogurt, cereal and fruit and do your own thing in the a.m. Some ABC stores have a good food selection. That's what DH and i do now.

Anyway, i am rambling. Scott gave you a good list. I also stayed at the Hyatt once and it was great. (snagged it for $100 on Priceline)

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,425 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Waikiki hotels for young adults

Ok you have a great budget. We spent 5 nights at the Moana Surfrider and loved it, but we are 60+! The wedding party, 20's to 30's, stayed at the Sheraton Waikiki and raved about the infinity pool and Rumfire Lounge. Yardhouse and Hard Rock were hits as well. The pack of 15 or 20 also roamed up and down Waikiki. Just be aware that their one complaint was there was no food service after 11 pm. Eat and drink accordingly!