We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stolen Backpack, please be careful

Qualicum Beach...
Level Contributor
129 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Stolen Backpack, please be careful

We just came home from an amazing holiday in Oahu.......three locations after getting double booked. We stayed in Kailua, Makaha and the Illikai in Waikiki. It was a blessing in the end, even though we spent more money on accommodation, it was a wonderful variety.

I hesitated to post this because we obviously made a mistake and I don't want to be chastised :)))

My husband and I had a wonderful evening at the Shorebird Restaurant. When it was time to bbq our steak we even took our backpacks with us to the bbq area. After dinner I spotted a double hammock near the RumFire at the Sheraton on the grass. I held my backpack on the hammock and my husband put his directly below. Ten minutes later we got up and it had been stolen. It is totally our fault for letting our guard down but I wanted to hopefully prevent someone else from having to go through the same thing.

We filed a police report and spent an hour looking for where it might have been dumped. Contents? My new jacket, hat , sunglasses and sandals, an Apple adaptor along with a Hebrew bible my husband had been given when he was ordained. Cash? Maybe $20. I had the credit cards in my backpack so we were lucky. Please don't let your guard down and enjoy Oahu. I still love Hawaii! :) and it could have happened at home.

Seattle
Level Contributor
5,109 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stolen Backpack, please be careful

"I held my backpack on the hammock and my husband put his directly below. Ten minutes later we got up and it had been stolen."

Not really sure I understand exactly how your stuff was stolen, but am sorry that it happened to you!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,996 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stolen Backpack, please be careful

No need to chastise you, stuff happens. Glad you realized your mistake. Same thing happened about a month ago to my dh when he was snorkeling over by the Hilton Hawaiian Village. The city has stationed more cops in Waikiki due to this very issue.

Qualicum Beach...
Level Contributor
129 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Stolen Backpack, please be careful

Alan and Roberta

To be more specific, we were looking up at the stars in the darkness of the night and the backpack was stolen from under the hammock while we were lying on it. I am always so careful (which is why I was holding onto mine :)

Seattle
Level Contributor
5,109 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stolen Backpack, please be careful

Wow! Drugs and thievery are a problem, for sure. Even in paradise. Glad you are home safe.

Which place did you enjoy most? Kailua? Makaha? Illikai? Why?

What was your favorite activity?

What foods did you enjoy the most?

Trip reports are much appreciated on this forum~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stolen Backpack, please be careful

<<the backpack was stolen from under the hammock while we were lying on it.>>

Yikes. That's a pretty brazen theft. I can totally see why you didn't expect someone to nab something that was literally just two feet under you!

Thanks for posting this reminder to stay vigilant. It will definitely help me!

Texas
Level Contributor
95 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Stolen Backpack, please be careful

If the bad guys want something bad enough, they can be very brazen. A friend's daughter (here on the mainland) was putting gas in her truck. On video later, it could be seen that 2 people crawled up to her truck, opened the door, stole her purse and gently closed the door ... all while she was pumping the gas. They lucked out though that she hadn't locked her vehicle. Sadly in our world, you can't afford to let your guard down, even in paradise.

Soddy Daisy...
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stolen Backpack, please be careful

My wife and I had dinner at the bar at Cheesecake Factory in Towson, MD Saturday evening. I laid a small plastic bag with some purchases from the Apple Store on the bar in front of me. When I arose to depart, it was gone. I asked the bartender if he had seen anything. He thought someone left it and turned it in to lost and found. I was stunned that he was able to remove the bag without me seeing him do it. It is amazing what can happen right in front of your eyes. (Sober eyes, I might add!)

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stolen Backpack, please be careful

Wow that is totally outrageous that someone had the nerve to do that while you were in the hammock right above Better for you that you didn't notice until they were gone. Desperate people can be dangerous.

Stony Plain, Canada
Level Contributor
1,339 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stolen Backpack, please be careful

That is sad to hear and I want to thank you for the heads-up reminder to always be careful. Good to know.

Qualicum Beach...
Level Contributor
129 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Stolen Backpack, please be careful

Thanks for the kind words. I almost didn't post because I felt slightly embarrassed that we had let our guard down after being so cautious.

And I will eventually post a trip report!

Sandy