We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diamond Head Hike

Chicago
Level Contributor
377 posts
Save Topic
Diamond Head Hike

Is climbing Diamond Head as difficult as it looks? Been watching some YouTubes on it... lol.

Mentioned in this post
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
152 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,958 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diamond Head Hike

It depends on your fitness level.

I think the difficult part is the amount of people on this hike, not the hike itself.

Toledo
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Diamond Head Hike

If you are in good health, you should be ok. I have seen a few overweight people struggle on the way up. We have done it a few times and it is always enjoyable.

Monroe, Louisiana
Level Contributor
203 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Diamond Head Hike

Climed it in March. I am 66.I do not work out. I saw people of all ages. It is .six tenths of a mile from the base. Not to steep. Sort of un-even--rocks etc. we walked to and from the Marriott for a six mile round trip. But there is transportation to the park but my wifes works out and wanted to walk the whole way After the climb up the view of Wakiki is worth it. Food and drinks at the park when you ome down.

Do it. Ask yourself--how many people that you know have done that. One of my favorite things ever but my legs hurt.

Chicago
Level Contributor
377 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Diamond Head Hike

Thanks, all.

Thanks, Catbird.... you have given me great encouragement. I hope I don't chicken out when we get there. LOL I really want to do it but I know my hips will start aching after a while. If I make it... I'm having hula pie afterwards. LOL

Monroe, Louisiana
Level Contributor
203 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Diamond Head Hike

I realize now that I did not spell climbed correctly. Important. Take at least two bottles of water each.

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Diamond Head Hike

One of my most vivid memories of Diamond Head is watching people twenty years my senior, sixty pounds heavier than me pass me by again and again. I'm slim, was about 40 at the time, nonsmoker, and can walk for hours on end on a flat surface. But I must not have the musculature for climbing stairs (spindly legs, I guess).

Still a little shocked it was more difficult for me than for couch-potato grandmas.

Point being ... it's easy for *most* people ..

Mentioned in this post
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
152 Reviews
Oahu, HI
vancouver
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Diamond Head Hike

You will be fine.... but like catbird said, make sure you take water and I also advise going first thing in the am, not as crowded or as hot.... enjoy!

oregon
Level Contributor
1,394 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Diamond Head Hike

I did it and I'm not in the best of shape. I just took my time and made several stops. Especially during the stairs. Just remember its not a race. The view is worth it!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Diamond Head Hike

Agreed the stairs are a little taxing. I am older (not 60 yet) and not in great shape. Hubby and I love walking and snorkeling and diving though. We do this hike every time we are on Oahu, starting from our hotel on Lewers.

We take two bottles of water each (one frozen) and a blueberry bagel to treat ourselves with when we make it to the top. The walk back is a snap.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Chicago
Level Contributor
377 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Diamond Head Hike

These replies and bits of info are just great. It's giving me a lot of encouragement as I'm nervous about the climb. Can't wait to come back and tell ya'll I did it. (we'll see ;) )

We leave in a few weeks for our 10-day stay. We've been to Maui twice but never Oahu!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii