We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights between Hawaii and Bora Bora

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Flights between Hawaii and Bora Bora

Hello, I am planning to spend a week on my honeymoon in Hawaii and then a week in Bora Bora. I am looking in to the best flight options. I have found that there is a flight operated by Hawaiian airlines between Hawaii and Tahiti but I have been told my my travel agent that it would work out much cheaper if I flew with the same airline for the whole trip (flying out from the Uk). He has suggested that it would be cheaper to fly via New Zealand!! Does anyone have any experience of this? Or any other suggestions, thank you! Xx

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,458 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights between Hawaii and Bora Bora

Hmmmm, I thought I answered this but my post seems to have vanished.

There's basically only one reasonable option here, and that's the nonstop on Hawaiian from HNL to PPT. It will require an overnight in Papeete before continuing on to Bora Bora (we stay at the IC in PPT, it's five minutes from the airport and perfectly nice with a good restaurant and bar).

Flying via NZ would be nuts, like flying to LA first and then to Tahiti. Unless you want to spend some time in NZ first, which as it's one of my most favorite places in the world, I wouldn't sneeze at! :-)

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights between Hawaii and Bora Bora

Thank you for your response.. I would love to go back to Nz but think we'll be pushed for time. Are the flights expensive between Hawaii and Tahiti? Thank you xx

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,458 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights between Hawaii and Bora Bora

Yes, it's generally a pretty expensive route although you can find deals in the offseason. I try to use miles, but I'd say on average you'll find it's about $500 per person each way between HNL and PPT, and sometimes quite a bit more.

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights between Hawaii and Bora Bora

Brill, thank you! Cheaper than going via Nz then! xx

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,355 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights between Hawaii and Bora Bora

Hawaii and French Polynesia are very poorly connected except through Hawaiian Air.

Have you priced it on your own? Compared the hours of flight?

Sometimes we have to pay for convenience. I'm sure it's costing you a fair amount to use a travel agent. Honeymoons seem to be their bread and butter.

Anyhow, you're going to spend a lot and fly many hours to get to Bora Bora, and going through NZ will be longer and tiring, and that might cut into your enjoyment of your precious time in Bora Bora.

Also compare the flight cost difference to your total outlay for lodgings and flights and meals. Will it be significant

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,355 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flights between Hawaii and Bora Bora

It's very easy to price for your dates. Just go to

www.hawaiianair.com

and select HNL to PPT (International).

I've flown this route once (using miles), and it was fine, but the hours of arrival and departure are weird for all flights coming into PPT it seems, and the plane used by Hawaiian was nothing fancy (but it is only 6 1/2 hours or so).

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,458 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flights between Hawaii and Bora Bora

It actually usually only takes about 5 - 5 1/2 hours. It is a crappy plane and has ridiculously inconvenient hours. We're always left on the last night sitting in a bar or restaurant listening to music and reading books for hours waiting for the 1230am flight, and it's really hard to sleep on those old Hawaiian planes.

Edited: 3:26 pm, October 07, 2012
North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flights between Hawaii and Bora Bora

Thank you all for the info, very useful! I didn't realise it is a 12.30am flight!! What time (local time) does that get you in to Tahiti? xx

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,458 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flights between Hawaii and Bora Bora

No, it's the flight back to HNL that leaves at 1230am. The one going to PPT leaves HNL in the late afternoon, so you arrive into PPT around 10pm (it's scheduled to land at 1030pm, but usually is early) and so that's why you must spend the night in Papeete.

One nice thing about travel between Tahiti and Hawaii is there is no time change.

I would also price it out on your own so you have something to compare it to when the agent gives you a quote. I travel a lot and almost never use an agent unless I'm traveling to Africa, where many safari lodges will only deal with agents. I've almost never found a package cheaper than pricing it out on my own. French Polynesia does seem to be different in that you can get good package deals from major cities like LA, but I've never found that to be true from HNL. Also if you book directly with the hotel you usually get better rooms. The exception would be if you're staying at the Four Seasons in Bora Bora where you will want to use a Four Seasons Preferred Provider to book so you can get those perks (free upgrade, spa credit, sometimes breakfast). FSPPs aren't necessarily agents, some online booking services are as well, I use whatahotel.com.

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flights between Hawaii and Bora Bora

What would we do without trip advisor..so much useful info! I'll look in to finding a price for flights and hotel without using an agent. I'm hoping to stay at the St Regis hotel so will contact them directly to see what offers they can offer.

I haven't been to either Hawaii or Bora Bora before.. I'm so excited!! :-) xx