We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Week 1

Illinois
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
8 helpful votes
Trip Report Week 1

Background - Myself, husband and daughter traveled to Hawaii Aug. 11-25 to drop our daughter at UH Manoa for college.

First week - we stayed at the Ilikai hotel in a lagoon front condo rented through waikikioceanfrontrentals. Very nice hotel, room, and view. Plenty of restaurants around, short walk to the Ala Moana mall and Wal-Mart, nice walk on the boardwalk around the Hilton lagoon to Waikiki.

Highlights of the week - Hiked Diamond Head and Manoa Falls, snorkeled Hanauma Bay, spent an entire day at Pearl Harbor, watched them filming Hawaii Five - O one day around the Hilton Lagoon from our balcony, got our daughter settled into college and participated in some new student orientation activities, visited the Waikiki aquarium, enjoyed the Friday night fireworks around the Hilton Lagoon, and enjoyed a couple great beach days. We did not rent a car the first week, just walked or took the bus everywhere.

Random thoughts of the week - Loved the Diamond Head hike...saw a man in a wheelchair by himself about half way up the crater. We were in awe at how he got there and how he was going to get back down. We did not enjoy the Manoa Falls hike...very slippery, muddy and treacherous! The Falls at the end were not worth the trip. Love Hanauma Bay, if only for the scenery alone! Pearl Harbor was an amazing experience!! Moving our daughter into her dorm went very smoothly. On the way back to the hotel after moving her in we saw a completely naked woman on a street corner in the middle of the afternoon...don't see that everyday! Waikiki Aquarium was very small, but nice to do once. One night while trying to find a place for dinner and coming across all the restaurants having a long wait, we ended up at the Atlantis seafood restaurant. What a nice surprise...probably one of the best meals we had, and very reasonable!

We enjoyed our stay in Waikiki, but can't wait for a more relaxing week on the North Shore. Trip Report Week 2 coming next.

Dallas
Level Contributor
29,319 posts
85 reviews
43 helpful votes
1. Re: Trip Report Week 1

I have told my wife not to do that anymore !!

Atlantis Seafood at the Hyatt? I've been tempted to try that myself a few times. Maybe next trip I will give it a go on your recommendation.

Sounds like a great start.

Thanks for the report.

Snohomish...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
23,529 posts
19 reviews
59 helpful votes
2. Re: Trip Report Week 1

Glad to hear you got your girl settled in at UH! Sounds like you made the most of a stressful time...good for you!

Dallas
Level Contributor
29,319 posts
85 reviews
43 helpful votes
3. Re: Trip Report Week 1

After looking at the reviews, it must not be the place I was thinking.

What did you like about it. Reviews for Atlantis Steak and Seafood are not great and indicate it's pretty expensive.

Is that the restaurant you are recommending?

Thanks

Illinois
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
8 helpful votes
4. Re: Trip Report Week 1

lol placebets...took me a minute with the wife comment!

Yes, I am talking about Atlantis Steak and Seafood. Like I said we just stumbled upon the place without prior knowledge of menu or reviews. They are fairly expensive, but they do have dinner specials advertised for under $20, and that's what drew us in. We both had steak and shrimp dinners for 16.99 and great drinks. We also got a great table overlooking the busy strip. I don't know...we really liked it!

Dallas
Level Contributor
29,319 posts
85 reviews
43 helpful votes
5. Re: Trip Report Week 1

Great, I will check out the dinner specials. We do a lot of those and early bird special kind of things. Steak and shrimp for $16.99 sounds pretty darn good to me.

Sorry about the wife comment. Please don't tell her that i squealed on her !!

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
30,619 posts
6. Re: Trip Report Week 1

Aloha,

Mahalo for the report.

Go Warriors.

7. Re: Trip Report Week 1

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, October 03, 2013