We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report- continues-

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
444 posts
13 reviews
30 helpful votes
Trip Report- continues-

Day 11:

Thursday...we moved to the Hyatt Place, near the zoo. As much as I raved about the Outrigger Regency on Beachwalk...I must put the Hyatt Place on the same level as the Regency...for comfort. We had a huge room with 2 queen size beds, a pull out couch, desk area with ocean view, nice lanai, and huge bathroom. Now if only I could relocate the Hyatt Place to Lewers St or Beachwalk, I'd be set :+). We spent the afternoon strolling Kalakaua and went to dinner and show at Moana Terrace for the Keawe Ohana show, which was excellent. Happily, it was across the street from our hotel and was easily accessible...returning home around 10:30.

Day 12:

Friday, we got up early for the "free" breakfast at our hotel. It had 2 types ofhot sandwiches: scrambled eggs and bacon and the same with mushrooms,french toast, pastres, toast and bagels, pineapple, cantaloupe, hneydew, and all the juices you could think of...along with coffee and Tazo Teas. Very tasty...and the pool deck where it is served was pleasant with a nice breeze.

From breakfast we went to Chinatown and had lunch at the Little Village Noodle Shop. Food was tasty- swervice friendly - but all in all, I think we would remove this stop from our itinerary. This is the 3rd trip over time to Chinatown, and it has only deteriorated in my humble opinion.

Back to the hotel and pool, and at 6 p.m we went to meet and greet Wyland at his gallery. We were there quite a while, talking to him, watching him paint, and telling us about the origins of his newest pieces. We were invied to enjo some shrimp with cocktail sauce, fruits and cheeses, and other delicious sweets and beverages. What a total thrill this evening had become.

Day 13:

awakened early - had breakfast on the pool deck (these free breakfasts are literally saving hundreds of dollars...what a great deal) over 4 days. We finished up some souvenir shopping for friends and family, and slowly moved along back to the HHV where we would see Kapons show. It was excellent!

I must tell you this one aside about the "turtle episode". I myself have never been much on souvenirs...for myself that is, I prefer photos, postcards, etc. However, when we first arrived at the HHV, I spotted a Honu carved out of coconut shell and wood, at the Rainbow Bazaar. It would look perfect for the wall next to my lanai door. My furnishing throughout my home are vry "Key West" sty;e. which is very close to Hawaiian style and the Honu was perfect for my home. I didn't however think it was worth $25.00 which they charged. Well, today, my DGD went into the Ukelele store in Kalia Tower, and found the very same Honu for $15.00. Of course I bought it at that price. Later on, we were at the International Marketplace, where we saw it once more for $29.95. Lesson to be learned..check round before jumping into those souvenirs...not all stores are as honest with their pricing as they should be. We went to Hard Rock for dinner, My DGD loved the various drums and guitars hanging on the walls and ceilings. Food and service was good...but we found it quite noisy...could not really carry on a conversation.

Day 14:

Sunday...we awakened early...had our breakfast and went to church at St. Augustine by the Sea (a block from the hotel). An ArchBishop was guesting there from Poland, and on passing us he bestowed a special blessing onmself and my family.

We did some final shopping, and went to Kapiolani Park for the Royal Hawaiian Band performance...but when we got there, we were told it was moved up to the morning and followed by Na Hula Festival, which we stayed for. We had stpped at Blue Water Shrimp for take-out dinners of excellent garlic shrimp, rice, salad and pineapple...to eat in the park. The young Hula dancers were excellent and the colors of their outfits were so beautiful. Afterwards, we went to Honolulu Cookies Company Which probably accounts for any small weight gain we might have experienced while here, to get some cookies for our neighbor who is taking care of our palm trees while we are gone.. Well, we went down by Kuhio Beach earlier today to see the waves and the surfers once more, as tomorrow we leave. Melvin Kim will be picking us up from our hotel after 4p.m. so our remaining time on Oahu is limited. It is with sadness that we leave, but with renewed happiness when we are thinking about and planning our next trip to Hawaii. Thank you to all of you for your kind comments and regards...as always, will stay in touch via Trip Advisor....Aloha and Mahalo

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
302 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
1. Re: Trip Report- continues-

I have loved every part of your trip report and as sad as you are to leave I am sad there are no more trip reports for now. Thanks so much.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
444 posts
13 reviews
30 helpful votes
2. Re: Trip Report- continues-

you are very welcome...I am glad you enjoyed them. Aloha

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,934 posts
23 reviews
20 helpful votes
3. Re: Trip Report- continues-

I will miss your trip reports, too! So much wonderful info and what a lucky DGD! Take care, Deb

Corona del Mar...
Level Contributor
62,302 posts
442 reviews
775 helpful votes
4. Re: Trip Report- continues-

Your trip reports have been a pleasure to read. Hopefully you'll copy and paste parts to do reviews on the HHV, Hyatt Place, Steak Shack, Hawaiiana Cafe, etc (if you haven't already). Many people who use TA never come to the forums and only look at the reviews. I think you've had great, candid, informative things to say that could really help others.

Thanks again.

new hampshire
Level Contributor
456 posts
93 reviews
71 helpful votes
5. Re: Trip Report- continues-

what a great trip - thanks for sharing!

Dallas
Level Contributor
29,317 posts
85 reviews
43 helpful votes
6. Re: Trip Report- continues-

Yep, thanks for all your reports. It is just making us get more excited about our upcoming trip.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
55,908 posts
3 reviews
5 helpful votes
7. Re: Trip Report- continues-

Thanks oahudog for the great reports. We will miss you!! Hope you have a safe journey home.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,272 posts
74 reviews
51 helpful votes
8. Re: Trip Report- continues-

Loved reading your trip reports.. safe travels!

Chesterfield, Mich.
Level Contributor
4,348 posts
14 reviews
34 helpful votes
9. Re: Trip Report- continues-

I just got caught up on all of your reports. Thank you so much, I loved all of it! I have to say, and please take this as a compliment, you did so much and were so busy, and you stated you have a wheelchair and a cane.....Wow! I am amazed at ALL you did!! Just fantastic!

I wish your trip could have been longer, because I didn't want to stop reading!

Thanks!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
444 posts
13 reviews
30 helpful votes
10. Re: Trip Report- continues-

I am glad you enjoyed my report. I enjoyed writing it because as I wrote it I relived it all again giving me twice the enjoyment. I try not to let the cane and wheelchair dictate my life. We are retired now, and we now have the time to travel more. Unfortunately, frequently we are unable to go to certain places because they are not handicap accessible....thank god that Hawaii is not one of those. God bless you all and thank you for your encouraging comments.