We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 8 days!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
55 posts
6 reviews
1 helpful vote
Trip Report 8 days!

After all that waiting and planning, its all done and over :( Our stay was great, Park Shore was great. I was a little weary after reading some bad reviews but its a budget hotel, which means nothing fancy. I was impressed, they honoured our request for a high floor and oceanfront room. Yes, some paint was chipping and the carpets werent super clean. But its what I expected for booking one of the cheapest hotels! Lol, I thought it was suitable, we didn't spend a lot of time here, the staff was very friendly and location and pool were also great.

Day 1 - Arrived in Honolulu at 10:30 am after a 6.5 hour flight, picked up our rental vehicle, upgraded to a jeep, yay for driving with the top down! Found our way to the hotel, but circled forever trying to find parking! Lol, finally just used the valet for that day as we didn't plan to use the vehicle again that day. We went to the pool until our room was ready, then upstairs to drop our bags. That afternoon we ate at Lulu's in the hotel. In the evening we walked around downtown and stopped at Tiki's for some appetizers and drinks! Also tried to see the fireworks from the Hilton but they weren't too visibile from our end of waikiki..

Day 2 - We ate breakfast at Keoni's, I had a huge waffle with fruit, it was delicious! Then we left and drove to the Nu'uanu Pali Lookout, it was sooo windy omg, I almost blew away! Haha, the views were amazing though. We didn't stay here long just snapped some pictures. Then kept driving towards the Polynesian Cultural Centre, we also stopped by the "Chinaman's Hat" to take a few pictures. We arrived at PCC and met our tour guide, she was awesome! We had fun seeing all the islands, although the 5 hours is not enough to see everything. We chose the Prime Rib dinner and it was great, mm crablegs and mahi mahi! The evening show was out of this world, we were in the 3rd row from the stage. The dessert that they give ambassador package members at the show was so good. My husbands favourite part of the whole day was the Tahitian dancers (of course..lol). That was a extremely hot and tiring day,but well worth the time and money. We left and went straight to bed when we got home!

Day 3

We drove to the north shore this day. Our first stop was Wakele Outlets, however, I wasn't that impressed after hearing it was a good place to shop, not my cup of tea I guess! Then we went to the Dole Plantation and did the garden tour, it was great! Of course, we couldn't leave without having some pineapple icecream! We left here and headed on towards the north shore, it was rainy but we drove up to Sunset Beach took some pics. Then we stopped at Sharks Cove to go snorkeling, and it was pretty cool, a little dangerous getting over the rocks but saw some cool fish. I was a little nervous to go out too deep. Then we headed toward Waimea Bay, we did the waterfall hike and then went to the beach to check out the people cliff jumping. It was cloudy and chilly so we didn't go swimming. After Waimea Bay we headed back to Honolulu and went for dinner at Red Lobster.

Day 4

Windward Coast. We grabbed a quick breakfast at Subway by our hotel and headed to Sandy Beach took some pictures, then onto the Halona Blowhole lookout, we also stopped at some other lookout points along the way. Then we did the Makapu'u Lighthouse trail, it was another scorcher, soo hot! Got a little burnt thats for sure! Amazing views from the top, highly recommend this hike! After this we went to the Sea Life Park, it was sad to see the dolphins in captivity, but was entertaining, they are so smart! After lunch at Sea Life Park we went to Kailua Beach swimming, was going to snorkel but the waves were kinda big and it was really cloudy. So we just swam and relaxed on the beach, what a beautiful beach, although they are doing construction here as well, kind of a bummer! We had dinner at Tiki's again on the restaurant side, and was delicious again!

Day 5

Ko'olina Ocean Adventures tour. Well I woke up with a sore throat, was not happy! Left at 6:30 to drive to Ko'olina. Arrived in Ko'olina at 7:15 to check in for ourcatamaran tour. All I can say is A-MA-ZING! Captain Todd and the crew were awesome. Before leaving the harbour we saw 3-4 whales breach in the distance, everyone stopped to look! We went out for about 3.5 hours, on the way back they fed us a great lunch as well. While on the tour one of the crew took my camera and dove down like 20 feet and took some close ups of a turtle! I was so happy! I am going to frame one of them! We left Ko'olina and went to the hotel for a nap. That afternoon around 4 or so we headed to Ala Moana to do some shopping and for dinner. We were so tired still from the tour but I bought a few things and we ate at the Macaroni Grill, funny name but it was actually pretty good and great service!

Day 6

This day we were supposed to go to Haunama Bay, we drove there around 10 am but it was too busy, as I kind of expected. So we decided to go do the Manoa falls hike and possibly try Haunama Bay that afternoon. The Manoa falls hike was hot and muggy, it also rained a bit. It was so muddy and rougher terrain that I expected, still fun though. After the hike we hosed off and got some shaved ice and headed back to the hotel. I did not feel well at all by then and decided to lay down for a nap again. After a nap we went to the aquarium and had dinner at Cheeseburger Waikiki, I actually was not impressed with this restaurant, slow service, appetizer did not show up and food was ok.

Day 7

Last full day in Waikiki and I still had 4 things to do! Ahhh, darn being sick! So we had to choose Haunama Bay, Diamond Head Hike, Zoo or Pearl Harbour. I know I will get some comments on this..but we chose to head to Haunama Bay early in the morning to get one last snorkel and this is something that was a must-do for me! I was still pretty sick so we went for a few hours, got some great pics, but I got cold easily and decided it was time to go. Saw some neat fish though and only one eel, but was inside the coral! Yay lol. I have to say though, I was pretty disappointed to see people watch the video and STILL walk on the coral, what don't you get people! There are tons of sandy areas to walk, if you want to go to a different area walk on the beach and enter the water again!! After Haunama bay I decided I was too tired for hiking and figured Pearl Harbour would take a lot of time on our last day. So...we ate at Lulu's and went to the zoo. After the zoo we just laid by the pool and tanned and swam. That evening we ate at DK Steakhouse. I thought the food was good, but wasn't my favourite place! Went back to the hotel and packed up our things.

Day 8

Woke up and went to Lulu's for breakfast. Got our things and drove to the airport. Glad that we arrived there early to beat the rush, much less stressful! In a way I was excited to go home because I was sick, I just wanted the flight over with, plus I got to see my doggies! But was also sad to leave and already am missing Oahu!

It was an amazing trip and I have to say that renting a vehicle was our best decision we made. After seeing the things we saw, we can't imagine ever just sitting on the beach the entire vacation! It was so amazing!

Bye for now Oahu, we will meet again :)

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
55 posts
6 reviews
1 helpful vote
1. Re: Trip Report 8 days!

Also, I forgot to add we had awesome weather, was around 28-30 degrees everyday! Only got stuck in some light rain on the north shore, later that day back in Waikiki it was sunny and hot. I am so happy after all the rain that has happened in the last month that we avoided it.

I didnt really hear any noise from the construction on Waikiki beach, although we did not spend a lot of time on the beach here, our hotel was right near the construction and we slept fine!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
56,492 posts
3 reviews
5 helpful votes
2. Re: Trip Report 8 days!

Thanks for the report, Melissa, so sorry you got sick. You were a trooper anyway though!!

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
30,634 posts
3. Re: Trip Report 8 days!

Aloha,

Mahalo for your report.

Yeah, most men like the Tahitian dancer's, I wonder why

Must be the smiles

Aloha

Dallas
Level Contributor
29,694 posts
85 reviews
49 helpful votes
4. Re: Trip Report 8 days!

Great report. Sorry you got sick but sounds like you still packed a lot in your trip. Now you know you still have some things you need to go back for.

Aloha

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
30,428 posts
5. Re: Trip Report 8 days!

Nice trip report.

And I agree that renting a car the entire time is the best way to see Oahu.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
24,511 posts
265 reviews
171 helpful votes
6. Re: Trip Report 8 days!

You were so busy! Looks like Lulu's was your favorite place. One of my fondest memories was Christmas breakfast there and the delicious eggs benedict - but with seared Ahi tuna.

australia
Level Contributor
95 posts
5 reviews
8 helpful votes
7. Re: Trip Report 8 days!

Loved your trip report - brought it all back to life. 45 days for us but who's counting

8. Re: Trip Report 8 days!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, March 30, 2013