We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any issues with Alamo Car Rental on Oahu?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
45 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Any issues with Alamo Car Rental on Oahu?

Renting a car for 6 days on Oahu. We are looking at getting a convertible and Alamo is about the cost of Hertz & Avis. Just wondering if anyone has had any problems with Alamo.

Thanks,

Dave

Rochester,NY
Level Contributor
357 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any issues with Alamo Car Rental on Oahu?

We've rented cars through Alamo many times and have never had any problems. I would easily recommend them.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Any issues with Alamo Car Rental on Oahu?

Lines at many rental counters can be terribly long after planes come in. It's been suggested here before that one person hurry up and get on the rental shuttle and get the car while one person claims luggage and then waits outside baggage claim for the renter. You can often beat the rush this way.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any issues with Alamo Car Rental on Oahu?

never had a problem with Alamo..ever

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any issues with Alamo Car Rental on Oahu?

I did not have a problem renting from Alamo on Oahu, nor did I encounter any issues with long lines, although I'm sure it could be a problem given the time of day and season. However, if the cost is about the same as a Hertz convertible, I would go with Hertz just because their cars are better. With Alamo, you're likely to get a Chrysler Sebring and Hertz usually have Mustang convertibles.

chicago
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Any issues with Alamo Car Rental on Oahu?

i did have problem with alamo, when I rented

a car from HNL airport last may.

I specified that I would not need their collision insurance, yet when I returned my

car they want $7 or change per day.

I had American express credit card to waive

my fees.

anyway if you need the collision, you may go

ahead, otherwise watch out.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,860 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any issues with Alamo Car Rental on Oahu?

I've rented from several of the rental companies on various islands ... as well as various places on the mainland ... and I've had problems with all of them from time to time. I think it depends on the day and time you get there and who happens to be working.

Specifically, on Oahu, the last time I rented with Alamo was fine as far as I remember and I got a car for one day for pretty cheap. Pickup and return was smooth, although you should be sure to get directions BACK to the car rental place as many of them aren't exactly at the airport and can be difficult to find.

In December when I rented I used discounthawaiicarrental.com. They got me better rates than I could get on my own -- through Thrifty, but I think they contract with various companies -- and I was upgraded from a midsize to a convertible for $10/day. I would definitely recommend them.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,743 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any issues with Alamo Car Rental on Oahu?

david - I just booked a convertible with National becasue they was the cheapest of all the agencies. I used their internet coupon on the website. This is for the first week in April. If you haven't booked yet - you may want to check out National.

Wendi

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
45 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any issues with Alamo Car Rental on Oahu?

Thanks for the comments.

I just booked through Alamo's website. I got a Jeep Wrangler (soft, removable top) for only $191 for a week! I used a $25 off coupon from the Entertainment book.

Safe travels,

Dave