We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's it with all the excitement for shopping???

new york, ny
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What's it with all the excitement for shopping???

I get a kick out of all the shopping comments. But glad you are all enjoying your time in whatever manner you choose. I just don't see what type of shopping is so special on Oahu....However I have never been.

I guess coming from NY with way too many shopping malls, stores, giants stores, and specialty shops....I don't even list shopping in my top 20 things to do on a trip...

,,,,,but you go shop away

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,963 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What's it with all the excitement for shopping???

Aloha,

Our Aussie freinds can save a lot compared to back home prices.

The nice people from Japan always have enjoyed the savings on brand names also.

It really is amazing

Aloha

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
11,213 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What's it with all the excitement for shopping???

By any measure....

Kalakaua Avenue rates among the very top shopping districts in the US.

Up there with Manhattan and (surpassing) Rodeo Drive.

And if you include Ala Moana Center, The Ward Centres, record-setting Big Boxes, and relatively close Outlet mall, Oahu is a world-class shopping destination.

Surely, you appreciate that folks travel from all over to shop in NYC?

We gots great weather, beaches and friendly people as well.

By the way, check-out some visitor surveys from major destinations, "shopping" is the number one visitor activity on the planet.

Mentioned in this post
Ala Moana Center
Ala Moana Center
2,599 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's it with all the excitement for shopping???

living on Maui I get to Oahu at least once a year to get me some Town & Country t-shirts.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,900 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's it with all the excitement for shopping???

Our awesome Aussies LOVE TO shop and many of our prices because of the dollar thrill them...there are many brands not available down-under or in Japan!! Oahu is a shopping mecca for many.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's it with all the excitement for shopping???

I've always been a bit baffled by the popularity of shopping as a vacation activity.

Perhaps that's because I live in L.A. (Pasadena), which, like New York, has everything you could want to buy and then the same crap all over again with Swarovski crystals on top. But I'm not one for accumulating stuff anyway. (My idea of an exciting buy is when I can score Goldman Sachs stock for 12% less than Warren Buffet paid or when I can score free tickets to Honolulu with airline miles and then get $159 a night at Outrigger Reef.)

I do browse shops sometimes while on vacation, and once in a while I'll pop into a store and buy a piece that catches my eye. But shopping for clothes, to me, is hard work (I'm fussy about how things fit) and everything else -- handbags, trinkets, jewelry -- is just junk vying to sweasel me out of my plans for a secure retirement.

If I'm in Hawaii, I don't want to be in Macy's or Fendi or Cartier or Armani Exchange.

Mentioned in this post
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Arroyo Grande...
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What's it with all the excitement for shopping???

Honolulu has been a shopping mecca for the Pacific Rim for years. The Ala Moana (Shopping) Center is nothing short of wonderful.

Mentioned in this post
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Ala Moana Hotel
Ala Moana Hotel
3,680 Reviews
Oahu, HI
California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's it with all the excitement for shopping???

Um, that should have been "weasel me." Getting sweaseled is less of a concern.

Bendigo
Level Contributor
958 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's it with all the excitement for shopping???

We have been coming to Hawaii annually for past 14 years and it is only NOW our $$$ is at parity with the US$$. There are fabulous shopping centres throughout Australia but the costs of importing stock, transport within Australia, then the on costs in Aus. shoprentals, staff salaries, workcover, employer superannuation costs and then our tax (GST) is it any wonder we flock to the shops when we arrive. I would like to think we also enjoy all the wonderful sites, activities, restaurants on offer and fit in the shopping but not every day, all day. We have more Australians travelling overseas than ever before which is causing some stress to our own holiday towns/cities/resorts/attractions. I have been known to cart around cut outs of the kids feet to buy sneakers which are up to $60 a pair cheaper than Aus.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
195 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's it with all the excitement for shopping???

well said Patti.....

I try not to buy clothes at home normally but i will buy clothes on holiday. that way when im back to reality and i wear something - i get fond memories of my holidays.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: What's it with all the excitement for shopping???

I'm an Aussie and for me anywhere usa shopping is great. Even before the aud got so strong. Everything is much cheaper and much more choice!