We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jcislanders Trip report - Part 3 and more photos

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
jcislanders Trip report - Part 3 and more photos

Week 2 of our trip, a bit longwinded but I warned you on the first one. lol PCC, Pearl Harbor and the Aloha Stadium. Hope you enjoy the read.

I figured out how to add more photos to the slideshow. There are a few more miscellaneous, some from the second week, as well as a few taken from a video I made of the tent community past Makaha. This area seems to be a great concern to many so I thought I would share some 'real life' photos of the area. Not picturesque that's for sure but it wasn't as bad as I was expecting.

…tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-036b-3b0a-fda4

Edited: 2:45 am, November 20, 2011
Mentioned in this post
Pearl Harbor Tours
Pearl Harbor Tours
159 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Aloha Stadium
Aloha Stadium
217 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Makaha
Makaha
Oahu, HI
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: jcislanders Trip report - Part 3 and more photos

Monday was a beach day, another glorious day in paradise. Snorkel with the turtles, floating around with the pool noodles, a dip in the pool, then the hot tub, then the ocean again.... just amazing.

Tuesday was a drive along the Pali Hwy to stop at the lookout since we missed it on Sunday. From there we went to Giovannis for lunch. Since we drove by it a few days ago without stopping I was determined to get there this time. Good thing too as everyone thoroughly enjoyed themselves and we all walked away full and happy. It wasn’t cheap, $13 per plate I think, but we had plenty to eat and it tasted great. Not heart smart for sure, but fun.

From Giovannis it was back to Laie and the PCC. I had purchased two entertainment books and pre-booked for 4 of us the Ambassador Luau Pkg. When we checked in they took our coupons and credited back $49 each couple. Well worth the price of the book.

The PCC wasn’t high on my list of things to do but we all really enjoyed it. Got there just in time for the canoe pageant and then our ‘guide’ showed us to each village in time for the show. I thought the guide was kinda unnecessary at first, but then realized that we would have missed most every show if we were trying to get to each in turn. In the end it was great to have her and we were able to just follow along and look around. It was especially nice for me to take a day off from coordinating things.

Dinner was fine. The food was not bad (not great, not awful) the show was fine too. That’s ok, I wasn’t really here for the food. I wanted to see Ha, the Breath of Life. Our seats were - section 3 row D 37-40 - and they were perfect. We could see everything and I was pleased that I hadn’t chosen to be closer to the stage. Nice to have a slightly raised perspective. Of course the show was amazing. It was fun to be entertained and the performers and story were really good. We all loved it.

The only item on the agenda for the next two days was to watch Pearl Harbor the movie. We planned to go in on Friday for Veteran’s Day (Remembrance Day in Canada) and I thought it would be a good idea to watch that movie again before we went, kinda like an informal history lesson. My husband is a Canadian Veteran and we all wanted to do something special that day. I had a surprise for everyone which was to attend the sunset ceremony on board the USS Missouri.

Friday morning was a holiday so the traffic was pretty light. We made it to Pearl Harbour around 10:30 and got lucky with tickets for the 12:30 trip to the Arizona. I think the rest of the tickets for the day were gone within 1/2 hour after we arrived. There was time to wander around and look through the museum and displays, go back to the jeep and have something to eat, then head back in for the movie and boat ride. It was humbling to see this memorial and we were all pretty subdued for the return trip. We spent another hour wandering around outside then went over to catch the shuttle to the Missouri.

What a great end to a memorable day. The Aloha Chorus, the Pacific Fleet Band, the Old Glory - Passing of the Flag ceremony and some moving speeches, all with the setting sun as a backdrop. It was such an honor to be there and it will be remembered as a highlight of the day for many years to come.

It wasn’t quite the end though cause we still had to find our way through the APEC traffic to Waikiki in time for the fireworks. Not sure how we did it but we actually made it. We took advantage of validated parking at the Marriott and after the fireworks had dinner at the Kuhio Grill. Prime Rib and Crab leg buffet for the guys who like to eat meat. Salads and deserts for the girls. The best part was the $25 off each 2nd meal by using our entertainment book cards. Another late night but what a day!!

Saturday we stayed and enjoyed the beach. There were a few more people than usual and some guys fishing, and snorkeling with spears. Cool to chat with them, learn a bit about the fish and just kick back for the day. Another sunset, another BBQ.

Sunday was off early to the Aloha Stadium. We left at 7 and arrived at 8am. Wandered around for a couple of hours, bought the t-shirts for the nieces, Aloha shirt for the nephews and hula dancers for the car dash. I was so glad we waited to do this till closer to the end of our trip. By then I already knew what I wanted and was able to focus. I thought we would be longer but we all met up at 10am with our purchases and headed to the car. A quick stop at Costco to get some rum for the suitcase then back to soak up the sun for one last afternoon.

Check out was 10am so we packed up and headed in to the airport to connect with the Aloha Storage guy. He said to call when we were at the airport and he would be there in two minutes. We did and he was. $20 for all four of our bags was well worth it. We went to the Ala Moana Center for a few hours and then over to Sans Souci Beach Park and all we had to worry about was a couple of small carry on bags.

Spending the afternoon snorkeling the MLCD was a really nice surprise. The fish were plentiful, the water was shallow and calm and the shoppers were able to cruise the strip while I played in the water. Awesome. Free parking was a super bonus and greatly appreciated.

Left Waikiki at 5pm, stopped at Costco to fill up the car and get a case (literally 13 boxes in a plastic suitcase) of assorted boxes of Mac Nuts with chocolate. Dropped off the car at Thriftys, took their shuttle to the airport, called the Aloha guy who was again 2 minutes with our bags and then proceeded through security.

Had dinner at the Kona Brewhouse. I must say, we were all a bit disappointed by the quality, size and price of the meals (I know, I know it's an airport restaurant), and completely frustrated by the service. On the other hand I had a Koko Brown Ale and OMG it was fabulous.

Right on time our plane was ready to board. We were sad to go and already planning a return trip.

Thanks again TA for all your help, couldn’t have done it without you.

Mentioned in this post
Laie
Laie
Oahu, HI
Pearl Harbor Tours
Pearl Harbor Tours
159 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Aloha Hawaii Tours
Aloha Hawaii Tours
1,177 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Kuhio Beach
Kuhio Beach
483 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Aloha Stadium
Aloha Stadium
217 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Costco
Costco
93 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Ala Moana Center
Ala Moana Center
2,591 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Sans Souci Beach Park
Sans Souci Beach Park
77 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,233 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: jcislanders Trip report - Part 3 and more photos

I am surprised at how calm the ocean looks over on the Makaha side. I thought it would be rougher this time of year. Did you go in the water there?

Mentioned in this post
Makaha
Makaha
Oahu, HI
Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
1,011 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: jcislanders Trip report - Part 3 and more photos

I've never heard of the Aloha Storage guy. Please tell me more about the service. I am enjoying the report.

Mentioned in this post
Aloha Hawaii Tours
Aloha Hawaii Tours
1,177 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,959 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: jcislanders Trip report - Part 3 and more photos

Aloha,

As always, a great report.

I was at the fireworks show and counted 38 people on Duke Kahanamoku beach, amazing.

Also zero wait time instead of two hours at the Cheesecake Factory, never see that again.

Also, great pics.

Mahalo

Mentioned in this post
Duke Kahanamoku Beach
Duke Kahanamoku Beach
83 Reviews
Oahu, HI
The Cheesecake Factory
The Cheesecake Factory
11,275 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: jcislanders Trip report - Part 3 and more photos

Maliboo,

They don't have storage facility at the airport for luggage but there is a service offered by a company called Aloha Airport Delivery and Storage. I heard about them here and googled for the contact info. It went exactly as laid out on the website and cost $20 for 4 bags up to 24 hours. Worth every penny not having to worry about our bags in the back of the Jeep for the day.

Mentioned in this post
Aloha Hawaii Tours
Aloha Hawaii Tours
1,177 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
1,011 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: jcislanders Trip report - Part 3 and more photos

Thanks. I've saved your post on aloha storage because this sounds like I could use it in the future. Loved your pictures.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
67,605 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: jcislanders Trip report - Part 3 and more photos

Aloha,

Nice reports, JC! I am glad the Aloha Storage worked so well for you.

Mentioned in this post
Aloha Hawaii Tours
Aloha Hawaii Tours
1,177 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,343 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: jcislanders Trip report - Part 3 and more photos

Nice trip reports.

A link to the airport baggage service. They have been in business a couple of years.

www.alohaairportdeliveryandstorage.com/

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,689 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: jcislanders Trip report - Part 3 and more photos

Thanks jc, lovely slide show by the way!!

Barbara, Makaha has been surprisingly calm for this time of year. So has the north shore for that matter!!

Mentioned in this post
Makaha
Makaha
Oahu, HI
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: jcislanders Trip report - Part 3 and more photos

Thanks everyone for your wonderful comments. I am pleased to think that I can contribute back to this forum. The great advice and suggestions found here truly made our first trip to Hawaii incredible.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States