We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jcislanders Trip report - Part One - Waikiki

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
jcislanders Trip report - Part One - Waikiki

We just returned from a 15 night stay on Oahu. First two nights at the Park Shore in Waikiki, the rest at the Hawaiian Princess in Makaha. I will break this up into sections since I tend to be long winded and we did so many different things.

Thanks so very much to all the wonderful folks on TA for the tips and tricks that I relied on to make this trip so great. My travel companions think I am brilliant but most of the info came from this site. I was happy to take credit for it though....

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Hawaiian Princess Resort
Hawaiian Princess Resort
249 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Makaha
Makaha
Oahu, HI
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: jcislanders Trip report - Part One - Waikiki

4 tired Canadians arrived at 7:00pm on Oct 30th. Air Canada was fine, we left late but landed on time, nothing anyone could do about the screaming baby and I was happy to see him finally fall asleep. Wish I could have but I was way too excited to be finally heading to Hawaii.

As instructed, I phoned Mark from Hawaii23 and they were already waiting for us just outside the baggage claim area. Within moments we were loaded up and heading into town. There was a bit of traffic on the freeway so we detoured through Honolulu and arrived at the Park Shore before 8pm. We were all impressed with Mark and greatly enjoyed the conversation and information on the ride in.

Check in went smooth, we dropped off our gear in the rooms and met back in the lobby a few minutes later to check out Teddy’s Bigger Burgers which was conveniently located just next to our hotel. The food was quick and yummy the staff was friendly and the prices really reasonable. With full bellies and big smiles we walked across the street and out onto the beach. Aaahhhhh..... paradise.

Made plans to meet at 8am but found ourselves in Starbucks at 6:30 (not the best coffee I have ever had, that’s for sure). Stupid time difference. Oh well, we only have one day in Waikiki so might as well get a full day in. First it’s off to breakfast at Dukes. Had a very enjoyable stroll along the beach and street, just absorbing the sights and warmth. We all loved Dukes, great food, good service and reasonable prices. Breakfast with a view is a really nice way to start the day.

Next we hopped on The Bus and headed for Costco. Our friends were looking for a camera and Costco had it. Loved the bus ride, it helped to get our bearings and was a fun way to have a look around. Used the same ticket to get the bus back to the Park Shore (stopped right in front of the lobby). Spent the afternoon on the beach.

Happy hour at Shore Bird was quick and powerful. My first MaiTai was a doozy. Second put me over the top. We had dinner on the rail and were able to take advantage of the early bird special for $15 and watch the sunset while we ate. It doesn’t get much better than this.

After dinner we had a very long and fascinating walk back to our hotel. Halloween in Waikiki was all that it was hyped to be and a whole lot more. By 11pm we were overwhelmed and it looked like things were going to get interesting. Time to hit the sack.

Another morning, another walk to Dukes. Could hardly tell there had been many thousands of people running around in bizarre costumes for half the night. Fresh rain, clean streets and a beautiful morning. After breakfast we wandered along the street, popping in and out of the shops. Right on time we were picked up by Hawaii23 and headed back towards the airport to pick up our rental car.

Next stop Makaha and the Hawaiian Princess.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Costco
Costco
93 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Makaha
Makaha
Oahu, HI
Hawaiian Princess Resort
Hawaiian Princess Resort
249 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,959 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: jcislanders Trip report - Part One - Waikiki

Aloha,

Mahalo for the report.

Looking forward to your Makaha experiance.

Aloha

Mentioned in this post
Makaha
Makaha
Oahu, HI
Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,233 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: jcislanders Trip report - Part One - Waikiki

Looking forward to your stay at Hawaiian Princess. We considered it for our winter getaway but ended up booking for Maui instead. I am attracted to the ocean views and modest rates at the Princess, so it could still be in our future. Not much talk about it here on the forums.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaiian Princess Resort
Hawaiian Princess Resort
249 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,429 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: jcislanders Trip report - Part One - Waikiki

Great start. Looking forward to reading the rest of your report. I think it will be the first time I read a report about the Hawaiian Princess and Makaha.

Mentioned in this post
Makaha
Makaha
Oahu, HI
5. Re: jcislanders Trip report - Part One - Waikiki

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, January 01, 2013