We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping report/tips especially for Aussie girls

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
73 posts
21 reviews
23 helpful votes
Shopping report/tips especially for Aussie girls

Having severe Hawaii withdrawal symptoms .... arrived home last week. Perhaps some of the following will be helpful when shopping.

Waikele Outlets - try and make a resvervation on the PJ Plover shuttle bus ($10.00 return fare) because it fills up quickly. Don't rely on showing up at the designated stops as I saw people turned away. Prices are in US$. Saks Off 5th store is good. All on one level and easy to get around. Good selection of clothes, shoes and accessories but they do not stock "petite" sizes (I'm 5'1"). Michael Kors handbags are probably the best price you'll get and also at the Michael Kors store. Best buy was Gucci sunglasses, originally $299.00, paid $99.00. Coach was having a 30% off sale. Lots of lovely handbags, wallets, accessories, etc. Best buy was a leather tote bag, originally $250.00, paid $125.00. Tommy Hilfiger, Gap, Banana Republic have lots of cotton tees and casual wear. Pack light, go shop and wear what you've bought! Godiver Chocolates was constantly full of shoppers - more expensive than the usual chocolate but oh so indulgent. Something else to remember is that food selections are limited or unappetising. Have a good breakfast before you go . There is a McDonalds a bit of a walk away that has many selections that we do not have in Australia.

Macys - the store on Kalakaua Avenue is a small, one level mini version of the one at Ala Moana Mall. First thing to do is get yourself a visitor's 10% off card. Show them your passport or use your Aussie accent! They have the cards which are valid for 30 days at each register. If you to to Ala Moana Mall, you must go up to the Customer Service Centre (level 3 I think) to get one. Mac eyeshadows $15.00 (AUS$30.00) basically the prices for all the make-up was 50% less than in Australia. The Ala Moana Mall store has a brilliant selection of petite sizes including designer brands. Best buys were Anne Klein trenchcoat $128.00, Not Your Daughter's Jeans $99.00 (they sell for $280.00 in an upmarket boutiques at home) so bought three pairs. You can also get other jeans for as little as $20.00-$30.00). Check out the clearance racks. You'll need to sift through them but is so worth it - I found many things reduced by 70%. The shoe department had lots of racks of reduced shoes, sandals and thongs (especially what I call "party thongs" - embellished with flowers, diamonte or beads). Flat ones and also some with small wedge heels. All at good prices, most 50% off.

Victoria's Secret - what can I say? The best thing about the store is they have a concierge room where you can deposit the shopping bags you may already have and shop unencumbered. Great idea. Stock up on knickers five for $25.50 and sleepwear separates two for $35.00. Drool over the glamour lingerie.

Sephora - best buy was Make Up Forever High Definition Powder $30.00 (AUD$70.00). All the brands were substantially less than in Australia.

Swarovski - on a mission for a girlfriend, her cocktail ring was $125.00 (AUS$200). Research before you travel if you want something in particular.

ABC Stores - great for picking up little things that you may have forgotten to bring with you. Also good for beach gear and inexpensive token gifts, keyrings for $0.89c!

International Marketplace - for those of you in Sydney, it's much like Paddy's Markets. Lots of stalls selling jewellery, beach clothing, sarongs, etc. etc. Inexpensive for any souvenirs you may need.

So much more ....... make a list. My best advice is if in doubt, buy it anyway. You'll get home and wish you had bought it.

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
4,307 posts
104 reviews
13 helpful votes
1. Re: Shopping report/tips especially for Aussie girls

"Victoria's Secret - what can I say? The best thing about the store is they have a concierge room where you can deposit the shopping bags you may already have and shop unencumbered. Great idea. Stock up on knickers"

As a shop-aholic I enjoyed reading your nice TR. One vacation to HNL I sat next to several ladies who have responsibility for the Ala Moana Mall VS stroe. Unlike most VS stores where people manage them in a region, NY staff fly out to HNL to change the stores theme and design on a regular basis as it is a huge store for VS sales wise.

Being from the mainland I love the terms of my Aussie friends....."knickers" and several hundred other wonderful terms. Just the name "knickers" makes them more interesting.

Thanks again for your report. It will really be read by a lot of people into shopping!

Launceston...
Level Contributor
188 posts
9 reviews
4 helpful votes
2. Re: Shopping report/tips especially for Aussie girls

Excellent information.

I have been reading things like this for the last few months and have my plan of action ready!!!!

Only a month to go and I'll be there competing with beedoo for the best bargains.

Bendigo
Level Contributor
968 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
3. Re: Shopping report/tips especially for Aussie girls

Can I also suggest when you are at Waikele - you jump on the trollley and go to the other shopping area. Agree food in the main area is limited but on the other side there are lots of variety including Genki Sushi. There is a great sports store which is fantastic and Old Navy - worth poring through. The trolley just keeps going around so easy to hop on, grab something to eat, go through the other stores and catch the trolley back to the main shopping area.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,272 posts
73 reviews
51 helpful votes
4. Re: Shopping report/tips especially for Aussie girls

Great tips. Hawaii has some good shopping compared to other places I've been to. I must go back one day!

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,980 posts
20 reviews
35 helpful votes
5. Re: Shopping report/tips especially for Aussie girls

WooHoo! Party thongs!!!

Gledswood Hills...
Level Contributor
222 posts
34 reviews
30 helpful votes
6. Re: Shopping report/tips especially for Aussie girls

When at Waikele definitely go over to the other centre across the road ( we just walked over) as there are some good stores there as well as some more food choices. We ate in Chilis which was really nice.

The best store there for us was Sports Authority. For the Aussies.....this is like Rebel Sports on steroids! The fitness clothing there was roughly half of what we pay here and then there were specials as well. For example, Nike DriFit sleeveless training shirts were $20/$25 - here they are about $55.Nike training pants that are $60+ here were $35. My son is personal trainer so we bought loads back for him.

Great range of sports shoes in there too.

They also had other clothing brands, other than sports gear eg some surf brands like Rip Curl.

I wish I could order online from there!

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
3,109 posts
93 reviews
50 helpful votes
7. Re: Shopping report/tips especially for Aussie girls

Saltone - I also have my plan of action all mapped out. :) Hugely excited and looking forward to it..

The NYDJ jeans are wonderful. I'm not someone who likes to own a lot of jeans, I like to have one main go to pair and a backup pair for when those are in the wash. The NYDJ jeans have been the go to pair for a year now and they still look exactly the same as they did when I bought them which is quite an achievement.

I'm going to check out Swarovski - someone mentioned the crystal pens which intrigued me.

I

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
73 posts
21 reviews
23 helpful votes
8. Re: Shopping report/tips especially for Aussie girls

beedoo - the Swarovski pens are beautiful. The upper half is clear and filled with hundreds of tiny crystals, so sparkly! They also have a little charm on a fine chain hanging from the top. So much nicer than a Bic biro. Retails in Australia for about $56.00.

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
3,109 posts
93 reviews
50 helpful votes
9. Re: Shopping report/tips especially for Aussie girls

I just spent a delightful hour surfing the Swarovski website.. looks awesome. :)

10. Re: Shopping report/tips especially for Aussie girls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 pm, October 26, 2012