We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Souvenir-Shopping for the Shop-a-phobic Mainlander

MA
Level Contributor
412 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Souvenir-Shopping for the Shop-a-phobic Mainlander

So in the interest of full self-disclosure, I must say that shopping malls give me the hives. I like acquiring "stuff" as well as the next gal, but put me in a sanitized, air-conditioned musak-world for more than 35 seconds or so and I WILL lose my mind.

I do, however, want to load up on lots of fun souvenirs and bribes for all the people who are going to make me feel guilty that I didn't bring them to Hawaii.

I am absolutely fine with cool, funky little shops with lots of unique things to discover.

- So what places are cool, unique, not-to-be-missed?

- Someone (Betty Lou?) recently mentioned that not all ABC's are created equal, and go for the bigger ones. How is the one at HHV? Are the prices the same at all, or are we paying an unsuspecting tourist surcharge at some locations?

- Swap meet - good or junky? Do people haggle here? Do prices tend to be well below regular stores?

- Is KCC Farmer's Market just food? Worthwhile?

- Anything special about Hilo Hatties? Is it higher-priced duplication of things at swap meet or, rather, is it unique offerings?

Thanks to amberloo we'll check out Don Quijote

donquijotehawaii.com/store-locations.php. Looks like regular grocery store items, but also good place to load up on coffee, macadamia nuts, and unique food items.

Also as a very weird and specific request -- my young son is named "Kona". Will I be able to find some memorabilia for him with his name that won't require me to load him up with beer or coffee, and that won't require airfare to the Big Island? Any suggestions for things to keep an eye out for?

I'm also happy to hear any suggestions for interesting shops in Haleiwa or elsewhere on Oahu.

Hmmm, I seem to have a lot of shopping planned for an alleged non-shopper. Well any help that will make this utterly non-painful is appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Don Quijote
Don Quijote
493 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Haleiwa
Haleiwa
Oahu, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,684 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Souvenir-Shopping for the Shop-a-phobic Mainlander

Let us know how it goes. :)

Definitely hit IM the night before - in fact it is one of my favourite places to wander in the evenings, great atmosphere. :)

22. Re: Souvenir-Shopping for the Shop-a-phobic Mainlander

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, October 25, 2012