We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 8th - 18th September

Sydney
Level Contributor
222 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report 8th - 18th September

Firstly I would like to say thanks to everyone here for the information I got before we went....it was great to have a bit of an idea about things before we went - got some great tips!!

Day 1 -

We flew with Jetstar - up until this trip I had a "don't fly with Jetstar" rule but with a $500 difference in the flights then Jetstar it was.

We had no problems with Jetstar from the convenient online check in to the flight. We didn't prebook meals, we just had dinner at the airport before boarding then just bought some drinks and ate our snaks as it was a night flight, then had breakfast after arriving. Coming back we bought a lunch meal which was actually quite nice and some drinks - cost the 2 of us $30 - much better than the $120 to prebook!

We arrived at about 7.45 am and were picked up outside by John (Mark's cousin) from Hawaii23 in his taxi minivan and taken straight to our hotel. We stayed at the Ilikai hotel in a condo booked through WaikikiOceanfrontRentals. It was great to be able to get into our condo straight away and not wait until after lunch to check in as most hotels do. The condo was exactly as described and the views over the marina were fantastic! So we soaked in the view for a bit then headed out to IHop for some breakfast, pretty nice pancakes. On the way back to hotel we stopped and checked out the ABC shop and got a few groceries. We were both really tired so set our alarm and had a 2 hour nap.

In the afternoon we walked down the beach all the way to Dukes - we didn't really plan this, but when we saw it - I am like "oh that is Dukes...we have to go there"!!!

So we walked in got a table looking over the beach and enjoyed a fantastic meal and our first Hawaii sunset. The food was delicious, the Mocktails were delicious and the staff were so friendly.

We walked back to the hotel via the beach too......we loved being able to do this!

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Sydney
Level Contributor
222 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 8th - 18th September

Day 2 - SHOPPING DAY!!

Well I am Aussie so it is expected that shopping will be a priority! We headed to the Waikele outlets with the $10 shuttle, which now takes prebookings to avoid not being able to get on a full bus. We booked the 9.30 pick up got to the centre just before 11am.....we were the first hotel so had to do all the other hotel pick ups before heading out of Waikiki.

We had a great day here, lots of great shopping including 8 pairs of shoes LOL

Our best find was Sports Authority in the Waikele Centre across the road. Our son is a personal trainer so we bought a ton of clothes back for him, and some for us, as most of the fitness clothing was roughly half the price of what we pay for it over here.....and then some of it was on special as well! For the Aussies, this shop is like a Rebel Sports store - on steroids! Sketchers was also a favourite with us - 5 pairs of shoes in there - and they had a sale 50% off the second pair - so averaged $30 pair which over here are $100 - $150 pair.

My favourite purchase of the day was a lovely Guess watch for $70 which I saw in a store here yesterday for $139 - regular price $278!!!

The Coach store was also nice but didn't buy anything in there as I still can't justify $200 for a handbag......even if it is normally $700!!

Calvin Klein was also heaps cheaper for her for things like bags, and business clothes.

We also enjoyed a lovely lunch in Chilis. We used to have Chilis here but they all closed down and we missed their nachos.....so when we saw there was a Chilis we had to have that......and have the nachos!

We headed back on the 6pm shuttle and I think we had the most shopping bags of everyone on the bus........and we weren't the only Aussies!!

At the Ilikai on a Friday night in the Bar & Grill restaurant they have a special buffet with Hawaiian entertainment which we were going to do, but we were back too late for this. But the entertainment was still going on the deck outside the Bar so we hung around and enjoyed this and watched the fireworks from the Hilton next door and then had a delicious dinner in the Ilikai Bar & Grill.

Not too late to bed that night as we were exhausted from all the shopping and we had an early morning the next day as we were going to Diamond Head.

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
SYDNEY AUSTRALIA
Level Contributor
460 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 8th - 18th September

Keep writing very interested.

The shopping sounds fantastic

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,550 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report 8th - 18th September

Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi

An Aussie shopping is a major sporting event!

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,761 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report 8th - 18th September

Wow, did you know that Chilis there is a Lost filming location?

lostvirtualtour.com/lost/…index.html

I've never been to Chilis but I hear they have cheese fries, epic win as far as I am concerned. ;)

Only 8 pairs of shoes? For how many people? Sounds like someone might be slacking on the job, I'm planning 10 just for me from Waikele this time.. ;)

Last year when I was at Waikele, I got a handbag which cost me $22. I've used it every single day since. It is starting to look a bit worn but is still holding together.

Re justifying $200 handbags.. If you think about it in terms of $ per day, $200 for a handbag that you're going to use for 365 days (and probably much longer) is decent value *providing* you get one you love and it has all the features you want. It would probably want to be genuine leather for that amount of money.

I'm not one of those change handbags when I change my outfit people, I like to use the same one every day until it either falls apart or it has been a couple of years and time for a change and I find one I like better. So my handbags take a bit of a beating to be honest, they go everywhere I go.

My last few handbags have been super cheapies, I think it might be time for a $200 one. ;) I saw a few last year in Coach which needed further investigation.

Looking forward to more trip reporting!

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,849 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report 8th - 18th September

I didn't know there were shops at Diamond Head...

Mentioned in this post
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
153 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Australia
Level Contributor
184 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report 8th - 18th September

Enjoying trip report, keep 'em coming.

Sydney
Level Contributor
222 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report 8th - 18th September

No shops Harleynut.......but there was a farmers market across the road!!

Sydney
Level Contributor
222 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report 8th - 18th September

Beedoo...I should have thought about that theory for the handbags.....I tend to use one for ages too......oh well next trip!

We bought 10 pairs of shoes during the whole trip - is that enough?

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,849 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report 8th - 18th September

Haha! Got me there!

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,761 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report 8th - 18th September

It is difficult to say how many pairs of shoes is enough.. I'm greedy when it comes to shoes. :)

I'll definitely head to that sports authority for shoes, sounds great! ;)