We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Aug/Sept 2011

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report Aug/Sept 2011

Firstly I would like to thank Amberloo, Dusty and everyone else that has contributed to the forum for making our trip so fantastic! 2 Couples / 1 tour guide-me

Day 1 Began after a huge day flying from Melbourne to Sydney to Honolulu. We arrived at the Beachcomber Sunday afternoon, changed and headed straight to Dukes for lunch and The Sunday Session, let the fun begin! We had a blast people watching and becoming Henry Kapono's newest fans, no better way to spend the afternoon after a flight!

Day 3 Recovery day at the beach in front of Dukes, hired lounges of the guys in blue shirts really nice and friendly guys. Went for a walk down the beach and quickly discovered NEVER a dull day in Waikiki, plenty of people doing crazy stuff! Went off for a bite to eat at the Cheesecake factory and not disappointed had a huge Caesar salad enough for a small family, service and food excellent.Back to the beach a touch of Macy shopping on the way back to Beachcomber which is'nt hard as its below the Hotel. Onto the Yardhouse for drinks and dinner, loved it, then onto Shorebirds Happy hour thanks to our new friends Sebastian and co, stayed for his signiture song Mack the Knife!

Day 3 Got up very early to hire our brand new Camaro Convertible from Budget at the Hilton, after 1/2 an hour of trying to get back to the Beachcomber and being abused by workman for making a wrong turn we needed time out to recover, so meet our friends for breakfast at Dukes then onwards to The North Shore. Quickly ditched the Garmin as she directed us to ? made us take wrong turns

go around the block and miss turn off to the hwy, so after much amusement to the locals seeing another Aussie tourist in a convertible run a red light ect, we finally made it to the right hwy turnoff not the post office, then through the Garmin to the wind. We had our printed up Amberloo guide and off we went by the Dole Plantation, first stop to Laniakea Beach to check out the turtles and have a quick dip. Then onto all the other north shore beaches and try to check them out as not much signage. On to the famous Teds Bakery to try the famous pie and we where not disappointed, it was lovely as was the plate lunch off Mahi Mahi, cooked perfectly thank you! Checked out sunset beach, and found a local surfer to set us straight on all the beaches, took some beautiful photos. Onto from there The Turtle Bay resort for a dip and Mai Tai, as a Russell Brand fan loved it, and definatly staying there next time.Then the drive home had to stop at the famous Giovanni Shrimp truck on their last serve for the day.

Traffic coming into Honolulu madness, should of spent a few more hours up north and missed peak hour!

After our big day headed over the road to Dukes Hula grill

Had a really nice meal more Mahi Mahi for me can't get enough love it. This is where we made our first and last tipping mistake, did not tip enough and our lovely waiter turned, too late to fix and best we not go back there, also learn't for future waiter's to calculate properly. sorry wont name you.

Day 4 Up early Amberloos directions again off to Daimond Head walk, didn't think i'd make it til I over heard some one say Americas biggest losers made it, this quickly became my mantra. Made it loved it many photos later, our friends now look on me as their personal trainers, as they haven't walked so much ever on holidays! Coffee at Starbucks koko marina then onto Hanauma bay, carpark full so off we went to all the lookouts along the way Holona Blowhole ect, beautiful coastal drive specially with the top down. Meet a nice local guy at the Makapu'u lookout letting his pigeons go, we where well informed and he let us let some go! Then onto Lanikai beach photo time and try out the shaved ice.

Onto Byodo-In Memorial park again beautiful great photos. Then last stop Kuola Park last bus tour for the day, fantastic scenery and look out to Chinamans Hat.

Back to Waikiki via Pali hwy, much easier than the day before, and I'm very glad my friends husband was the navman saved many confrontations! Stayed in at the hotel for dinner at Margaritaville, food great and our waiter was fantastic and we tipped right from then on!

Day 5 Booked the Boys on the fishing boat Magic, 5.15am start, this means SHOPPING yeah! Caught the outlet bus at the Sheraton at 8.45am for some serious credit card work out, Labour day sales started, let the fun begin. Not enough time too much to see caught the 4pm bus home, how many bags can a girl carry. Met up with the boys, unfortunately their day not so successful, no fish but the boat was great as was captain and crew, thats fishing! Regrouped and headed over to the Royal Hawaiian bar on the beach for Mai tais and Pizza, again music, drinks, view, service wonderful.

Day 6 Free day, my husband and I walked towards Diamond head park, again NEVER a dull moment walked past filming Hawaii 5-0 filming along the beach. Had breakfast on the Lanai at the first hotel we got to, Eggs benedict lovely, as was the service again! Walked up to the pier and watched all the surfers, then caught the Trolley up to the Hilton. We had a walk through checked out the flamingos ect. Caught up with our friends and the boys hired stand up boards in the Lagoon. More afternoon drinks at the Hau Tree bar at the Hitlon and learn't of the C & K Concert thank you to the lovely ladie's on the Laua desk.Afternoon quick drink at Dukes more music and lovely Hawaiian dancer, thank you for the photo with you. Walked back along the beach to our hotel to get ready for our reservation at the Charthouse to have dinner on the Lanai again and watch the fireworks, fabulous food, husband's steak best ever! service fantastic, then onto the Charthouse bar to meet new friends, listen to the music and sample Murry?s famous cocktails, thanks but not so good next day Murray.[hope I've got the name right. Charthouse is great.

Day 7 Saturday Boys booked into Pearl Harbour tour which they enjoyed while girls leave pass to Ala Moana shopping centre, had breakfast at Longi's nice view here of the ocean. Then onto some shopping and caught the pink trolley back to the hotel to meet the boys. We had an early dinner at The Cheesecake Factory and then a stroll along the beach to The Hilton to the C & K back in the day concert, this was Awsome best concert ever, so much love in the air, brilliant Guest artists, Sunset, amazing 2 firework shows, our night no.2 with Henry! As this was not on our itinerary, we just came accross it we all loved it and became instant fans! Stolled along the beach again back to the hotel we had our last drinks for the night at Rumfire, more music, very nice atomosphere!

Day 8 Sunday hit the beach for a couple of hours before our Sunday Brunch booking at Orchids, which was lovely everything about it, we had a great table on the Lanai again! Wandered back to the hotel with a little shopping for gifts on the way. Next 3rd day with Henry at Dukes Sunday session, today was huge crowd with Labour day weekend and a Girls bridal shower happening, very entertaining! Just as good as the first day we arrived, and huge thank you to Henry for posing for a photo with us after the show, he must of been very tired after 3 shows for the weekend! We had dinner at Dukes then tried out Senior Frogs-not for us, then back at Shorebirds only for 2 drinks bar staff not very nice tonight at all, left pretty quickly.

Day 9 Monday we got up early as days are ticking by to quickly, booked this morning on the Outrigger Catamaran for a snorkelling cruise at 1pm. We had a fantastic cruise as the tie-up place was full Captain Greg put on the ipod to cool music and set sail. We then tied up in the spot where the turtles get their shells cleaned and snorkelled, that was also a wonderful way to spend an afternoon.

I had booked the Royal Hawaiian lu' au recommended on tripadvisor, good and bad points show really great, and a special mention to the narrator she is a really lovely person who took the time to talk to us. At the start for a special place and an expensive show, we all did not like the line up for more than half an hour, not being asked for a water at least. Food was nice, drinks a little slow and ran out of the beer the boys were drinking, but all more good than bad. Meet some fun new friends on our table Linda and Andrew from Nashville, partied on with them at the Royal Hawaiian bar and had photos taken with freddie the Flamingo! Thanks to the bar staff, great Dj ing!

Day 10 Saddest day, don't want the holiday to end, were having way too much fun.

Morning walk to Ala Moana shopping centre to show my husband what he has been missing, ha ha, breakfast at Longi's again good. Trolley home with last minute purchase's. Beach then booked again on the Outrigger sunset cruise, once again amazing sail with beautiful sunset and happened to be dropped off at The house without a key. Off to more happy hour, fantastic cocktails, music, dancers, and special mention to Pam gorgeous waitress, could not of made our night any better! Then meet up with more friends that had just flown in, at the Cheesecake factory for more cocktails, didn't take long for me to retire!

Last Morning found the Moana Surfrider breakfast and shared their amazing blueberry pancakes, so wish we found this earlier! Last walk up the beach say good bye to the Duke and off to freezing 6deg Melbourne!

Once again thank you to every one that contributed to making our holiday Fantastic, we all loved every minute of it!

Mentioned in this post
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
The Cheesecake Factory
The Cheesecake Factory
11,275 Reviews
Oahu, HI
North Shore
North Shore
1,037 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Dole Plantation
Dole Plantation
4,940 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Laniakea Beach
Laniakea Beach
916 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Turtle Bay Resort
Turtle Bay Resort
4,705 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Mai Tai Bar
Mai Tai Bar
155 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Giovanni's Shrimp Truck
Giovanni's Shrimp Truck
1,780 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Hanauma Bay Tours
Hanauma Bay Tours
1,154 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Makapu'u Beach
Makapu'u Beach
264 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Lanikai Beach
Lanikai Beach
2,619 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Chinaman's Hat
Chinaman's Hat
158 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
152 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
The Lanai
The Lanai
161 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Hau Tree Bar
Hau Tree Bar
147 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Ala Moana Hotel
Ala Moana Hotel
3,666 Reviews
Oahu, HI
RumFire
RumFire
166 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Orchids
Orchids
1,337 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report Aug/Sept 2011

oh and sorry its so long, I should of warned every one and lucky I didn't post my 800 odd photos!

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,343 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report Aug/Sept 2011

Nice trip report. Thanks.

massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,729 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report Aug/Sept 2011

Thanks for sharing. Photo's are a bonus, are you sure you don't want to post a few...Pretty please. :-)

Sounds like you had a wonderful time.

Fantastic reporting.

Dallas
Level Contributor
25,421 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report Aug/Sept 2011

Great trip report.

We have been to Waikiki many times and frequently stay at the Outrigger Waikiki.

We always go to Duke's on Sunday to see Henry and watch the madness. We get there early and surf for a table up by the bar. Have been doing this for many, many years.

When we were there in May, we did the same as usual and were able to secure a table in Duke's bar. We sat there and had several drinks and were ready for a good party. Henry NEVER SHOWED UP !!!

I could not believe it. Finally some of the waitresses admited he was not going to appear and there would be no party that day. Excuse was they did a mix up and Henry was performing somewhere on the big island that day.

He has been there every Sunday for like 20 years and the had a mix up??

I'm not buying that and we were quite irritated.

We are going again in October and can't wait for Sunday afternoon and Henry at Duke's !! LOL

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort
Outrigger Waikiki Beach...
5,287 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
21,019 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report Aug/Sept 2011

Wow! I'm tired after reading it. I love vacations like yours - and you sound like some fun people to get lost on the roads in a Camaro with! I book the same kind of trips - lots of activities, but lots of room to be spontaneous. Glad you had such a good time. Sorry you messed up at the Hula Grill - it's a great place for well prepared fish and good service.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,689 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report Aug/Sept 2011

Thanks for a great report, cosmo, enjoyed reading it!!

Australia
Level Contributor
184 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report Aug/Sept 2011

Thank you for the great trip report, sounds like my kind of trip and no problems with the length of it.

8. Re: Trip Report Aug/Sept 2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:15 pm, October 20, 2012
;