We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for solo traveller

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
73 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for solo traveller

First visit to Hawaii departing 24th September. Will have four days alone at RH hotel before husband joins me (this is my shopping time, yes, another Aussie taking advantage of the great $ rates) and would welcome your recommendations as to what restaurants/cafes won't make me feel so awkward dining alone, perhaps a bar to enjoy a cocktail beforehand? Can easily occupy myself during the day and have arranged a breakfast cruise on Sunday morning. Have been avidly reading TA forums to get as much info as possible, however, your expert advice is appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Sweet E's Cafe
$$ - $$$, American, Cafe
Kono's Restaurant
$, American, Hawaiian
Seven Brothers
$, American, Seafood, Hawaiian
laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,605 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for solo traveller

Eat at the ocean front bars, you will not feel out of place at all. Waikiki is a very intimate place, not big and overwhelming. The help is very freindly.

Going down the line Moana Beach Bar is a very pretty place and the help is super freindly, Dukes at the outrigger is always lively and gets a lot of solos, The Mai Tai Bar at the RH- a little pricey buy great tradition, the Edge bar at the sheraton seems like your right on top of the water.

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Mai Tai Bar
Mai Tai Bar
170 Reviews
Oahu, HI
South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,875 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for solo traveller

Eating at the bars is also a great idea because often there are other groups you can kinda attach yourself to.. especially when they hear your accent. You might find they ask you nicely to eat with them. :)

People from other countries are somehow, oddly, fascinated by the Aussie accent. Me personally I don't think we even have an accent but I guess it is somewhat like how fascinated I am by the South African accent, or the Canadian accent.

Even my Mother, who is like the most introverted anti social human being on the planet, chats to people while on holiday in Hawaii. You could have knocked me down with a feather. Get in the lift, and this person who never says boo to anyone in a lift while in Australia, she just starts blabbing to people she's never met. Get on a bus, she befriends the people nearby and starts answering their many questions about kangaroos.

So if you like the look of your lift companions maybe start up a chat and you might find some dinner companions!

One final thing.. Waikele! :) I am pretty sure you already know all about it but if not I am willing to type for hours about it. Although you there in Canberra are a bit spoilt for shopping discount outlets.. :) the prices are so much better in Hawaii.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,200 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for solo traveller

Look at the trip reports by Worfsbabysmama. She has been here single a couple times (I think) and she had some great TR's. May help you plan a bit:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60982-i38-k450629…

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
73 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for solo traveller

Longboard, beedoo and MrsCombs thank you! Have noted all the places you mentioned and will have them handy when hungry after each frenzied shopping day. Looking forward to trying out the beachfront bars,

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
73 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for solo traveller

Beedoo, I'd be delighted if you would take the time to fill me in on the Waikele Outlets. I've done a bit a research online, but there's nothing like getting it "from the horse's mouth". Looks overwhelming ..... but I'll take it on!

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,875 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for solo traveller

I can do one better - my trip report -

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60982-i38-k401943…

This is the website for Waikele -

www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp…

and you will also find info about the discounts available if you sign up for the VIP club. Extra discounts on top of the already excellent pricing. :)

You will also want to know about the PGPlover shuttle -

http://pgplover.com/home.html

And probably as you will be shopping alone you will find the lockers handy - they are located opposite Coach along the wall next to the perfume shop.

So what we did was go to Ala Moana the night before Waikele and get an idea of the prices for items there before going to Waikele, but don't buy much before checking out the Waikele prices especially if it is for an item there is a shop for at Waikele (eg Converse, Adidas, Coach, etc).

You will be tempted, because you will go to Ala Moana and compared to here, you will be all OMG TEH PRICES ARE INCREDIBLE MUST BUY!

But an example of why you want to check out Waikele first - I bought Converse chucks 2 for $40 at Waikele. At Ala Moana they were one pair for $40. At the discount outlet at Homebush, these same shoes were $95 for ONE PAIR. Seriously! :)

I read a trip report recently where someone found the same thing with the Skechers Tone Ups, double the price at Ala Moana.

While at Waikele you can feel reasonably comfortable that you won't find the items there cheaper elsewhere.

Ala Moana is open till 9pm most nights (except Sundays which is till 7pm) and you will probably find yourself strolling there in the late afternoon or after dinner for a wander.

The shopping is mind blowing. So much stuff we don't see out here, prices we would never see out here in a million years, and the amount of money you save basically pays for your trip. ;)

Mentioned in this post
Ala Moana Hotel
Ala Moana Hotel
3,834 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
73 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for solo traveller

Beedoo you are amazing ..... love the trip report, love the info, love the detail. Thanks also for the links.

8. Re: Suggestions for solo traveller

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 am, October 17, 2012