We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sort of trip report

El Paso, TX
Level Contributor
148 posts
53 reviews
35 helpful votes
sort of trip report

Left out of Seattle on Alaska Airlines (now my favorite airline, terrific people working for them). Landed in Honululu and picked up our rental cars. We were a party of 8, 3 in car seats, and it was way cheaper to rent 2 cars than 1 large van. Then of to Ko Olina. Real easy to find.

Stopped for lunch at the Mexican restaurant on Ko Olina for a late lunch. Food was good and reasonably priced. Check in was supposed to be 4:00 but they let us check in early. Our condo was OK-not real nice but OK (see review). Nice pools, pretty koi pond and gorgeous gardens and trees.

Instead of a day-to-day report this is what we saw and liked/disliked.

USS Arizona and Pearl Harbor Tour. Really enjoyed this. We arrived around 2:00 and got tickets for 3:00 tour. Our 5 yr old is still talking about this tour. She was very impressed. No real restaurants there, just an expensive snack shop. But if you're hungry it will do. We didn/t realize you had to check everything-purses, diaper bags, etc.

Polynesian Cultural Center-We paid for the Ambassador Package but honestly don't think it was worth it. The tour guides either rushed you from exhibit to exhibit, skipping some, or had you sitting and waiting for 30-45 minutes for the canoe parade. Lots of vendors selling ice cream, drinks, etc. The exhibits we saw were fine. My son-in-law really enjoyed the drum performance. The Luaa dinner performance was fun, especially the children perfomers. The food was uninspiring. Kids liked the dessert table. We really enjoyed the evening show.

Swap Meet- We have a large family so this was the place to buy souvenirs and dresses for us. Worth the $1.00 admission fee.

North Shore: Loved this place. Will stay here next time for sure. Sunset Beach was lovely but had no shade so we went further up the coast to a real nice beach with shade can't remember the name but it's next to 3 tables beach. Had a great time snorkeling and playing in the water. Kids really loved it. We ate at Giovanni's Shrimp Shack (Yum!) and had dessert at Ted's Bakery (double Yum!).

Macadamia Nut Farm: too commercial. We wanted to take the tour but there were too many Japanese tourists waiting and the wait for an English tour was too long.

China Town- Our 4 year old's favorite place. Great eating. We ate at the Little Village Noodle House twice and really enjoyed it.The shops were fun and something different for us.

Nico's at Pier 38. Enjoyed eating outside. Our food was very good. They had entertainment while we were eating and it was very enjoyable. Hard to find parking though.

Skydiving was the one thing my 16 year old grand-daughter wanted to do. She loved it. We paid the extra fee to have her video taped and it was worth every penny ($150.00). Can't remember the name of the company but it begins with a P.

Hole in the Wall Tour: my daughter and son-in-law loved this tour. They highly recommend it.

Did not want to get on the plane when it came time to leave. Can't wait until the next trip.

Thank you to all who posted recommendations and suggestions on this site. You were a tremendous help.

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
73 reviews
77 helpful votes
1. Re: sort of trip report

Great way to do a trip report. We are going in less than a month and I am reading reports for ideas. I am the "tour guide" for an elderly sisters trip. It's hard to be a tour guide to a place you've never been. :) I am relying on all my tripadvisor friends to lead me in the right directions! I am thinking my evening to "do dinner" we will visit a shrimp truck! (We eat out some, but also take turns doing a relaxed/in house meal. Is it possible to do the shrimp trucks as "take out"?

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,272 posts
73 reviews
51 helpful votes
2. Re: sort of trip report

Loved the report!! Thanks for sharing!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
360 posts
84 reviews
62 helpful votes
3. Re: sort of trip report

Thanks for the trip report. We are going next week and still up in the air about where to stay. It has to be a Marriott property. We were looking at the condos at Ko Olina because everyone raved about them. I was wondering why your condo was just okay? Did you have an ocean view? Was it clean? Was it luxurious? Our other option is to stay at the JW. Did you happen to walk over there? It is just my husband and I so we really don't need a big place. It sounds like you did not spend much time in Ko Olina. How was the traffic? People say it is risky to go to Pearl Harbor at 2pm but you seem to be okay. Was it a weekday that you went?

Thanks for any help you can give me. I am glad you had such a wonderful time.

Andrea

El Paso, TX
Level Contributor
148 posts
53 reviews
35 helpful votes
4. Re: sort of trip report

To DCMSteach. As far as I know the shrimp trucks are only there during the day. Take-out is no problem.

To laguna lady. No. we did not have an ocean view. my grand-daughter made the reservation and didn't specify ocean view. Oh well.

Condo was clean, but not luxurious. (having stayed in some nice condos in South Carolina and Texas I saw the difference and it was not what I had expected.)

Traffic wasn't too bad. Going in to Honolulu it could get busy. But probablly not for a Californian.

Yes, we went to Pearl Harbor on a week-day.

5. Re: sort of trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 pm, October 17, 2012