We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day 2 trip report - Kailua, Oahu

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
252 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Day 2 trip report - Kailua, Oahu

Day 2 started at 1 am, but thankfully I was able to get back to bed and woke up at 6. after coffee and breakfast, we headed out to Kahalua Hotel via the Pali Hwy.  It is a great road with great lush scenery.  My daughter had a Kids Dolphin experience booked at the Kahalua hotel, and we got there right at 8:30 for check in.  We noticed a lot of people, adults and kids and figured they were very busy.  Turned out that a family of 10 was doing a private experience, and the kids program had only 3 kids, including my daughter.  It started right on time at 9 am and they went off to learn all about the ocean and animals.  I took advantage of that time to sit down at one of the lounge chairs facing the ocean and just relaxing as the area was almost deserted this early.  This side of the beach and island was extremely windy, to the point where the umbrellas were fluttering so hard, one got loose.  

At 9:45 the kids were led to a pool/lagoon where they had a chance to interact with a sting ray.  They loved it and were taught about the sting ray while in the lagoon.  They then went onto meet the dolphin.  They spent about 20 minutes there while able to touch him, give him commands, feed him fish, all under strict supervision.  I don't think my daughter stopped smiling at any time, all the pics I have are of her grinning ear to ear.  The trainers explained a lot about the dolphin including the belly button, the heart beat, the breathing, etc.  There were a few small tricks, but the program was much more about the educational and touching experience.

I know many on here are against this, and I really would rather not hear it.  I see this as the same as a Zoo.  With that said however, we chose dolphin Quest over Sea Life park due to reviews and the general understanding that this experience was done by people who genuinely care about these beautiful and smart animals.  You do not get pushed or pulled by the dolphin, but you do get up close and personal.  I truly got the feeling that they not only take pride in their jobs, but in the well being of these awesome creatures.  All the staff was super professional, fun, and looked happy to be there.

The Dolphin experience was over at 10:30 and my daughter took advantage of the hotel pool while I lounged around.  We were not asked if we were hotel guests, no one bothered us at all and we hung around the pool until about 11:45am.  My daughter then for changed and we headed to Hoku's for brunch.  Thanks to a trip advisor member who suggested it.  We had a great table right by the window with an awesome view and close to the buffet.  I had a carrot/ginger juice while my daughter had orange juice.  The buffet was very heavy on seafood of all kinds which was great and delicious.  We had crab legs, lobster tails, shrimp, tempura shrimp and veggies, salad, sushi, sashimi, omelette, and an array of deserts including a chocolate fountain.  The options were much more extensive, including lamb, chicken, breakfast meets, scallop chowder, salads, and prime rib. I am sure I omitted some items.  I also ordered coffee that was delicious.  Overall the experience was really good, although I would say our server was slow to refill drinks and then when we received the check he was nowhere to be found for about 10 minutes.  He was nice however :)

We were so stuffed, we decided we needed to do something lazy before going to the beach so we  went to the mall to get our nails done.  We were then told after they were done, to stay out of the ocean until tomorrow, LOL.  Oh well, no harm done.  We decided to see a movie, and stop at the Pali lookout on the way home. We also did some light breakfast and postcard shopping at the drug store at the mall.  We picked up 88 cent calendars for 2012 :)  As we started on the highway with our top down on the convertible, the rain drops came and we decided to skip the look out until Tuesday due to rain and being overcast.  Headed back home and back to Buzz's for dinner by my daughter's request. She had same teriyaki steak for kids, and I had the sirloin and scampish combo.  The shrimp were perfect but the steak was very dry.  I asked for medium well, I should have asked for medium.  Perhaps other cuts of steak are better there.

My daughter is so tired, she has been fast asleep in the car to dinner and then as soon as we got back in the house.  Tomorrow is beach in the am, and PCC in the afternoon.  We may try to see the La'ie Point before PCC, but depending on time may skip until we do the North Shore tour on Wednesday.

Mentioned in this post
Dolphin Quest
Dolphin Quest
831 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Sea Life Park Hawaii
Sea Life Park Hawaii
1,275 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Hoku's
Hoku's
339 Reviews
Oahu, HI
North Shore
North Shore
1,056 Reviews
Oahu, HI
South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,786 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day 2 trip report - Kailua, Oahu

Hoku's sounds fantastic. Will have to see if we can fit that in to our self driv e circle island tour.. :)

Mentioned in this post
Hoku's
Hoku's
339 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Portland
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day 2 trip report - Kailua, Oahu

That sounds like one fantastic day! :)

P.S. I always get my calendars for free at the ABC Store. (Ok, that's "free" after I've spent $100) lol!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
252 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day 2 trip report - Kailua, Oahu

I highly recommend Hoku's, it was a great meal.

4. Re: Day 2 trip report - Kailua, Oahu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 pm, October 07, 2012