We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report Day 1 - Kailua, Oahu

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
246 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report Day 1 - Kailua, Oahu

Saturday

We left the Baltimore airport right on time to San Francisco and then left right on time from SFO to Honolulu.  We decided to upgrade our second leg of the trip to economy plus on United a few days prior to our take off.  When I asked at the desk, there was 1 seat in San Francisco to Honolulu 1st class available, however I am with my daughter and we could not be split as she is only 7.  Gotta tell ya though, I was tempted :). The economy plus upgrade was worth it to us at $60 each.  The first flight was packed and since we had window and middle seat, getting up To stretch was a hassle.  This time we are on the Boeing 777, and the configuration is 2, 5, 2.  Still the extra legroom and having the 2 seats to ourselves is truly great.

It is just now that it's starting ti hit me, that after planning for over 7 months, this trip is here!  I cannot wait to get off the plane and enjoy Hawaii.

We have landed!

Getting our luggage was a small adventure as a man picked up ours thinking it was his and was ready to walk out the door.  I stopped him, and he was shocked and said he has the same exact bag.  I was very skeptical as I on purpose bought a hideous orange bag that I have never seen.  So I decided to hang out a few minutes to see if he was telling the truth.  Sure enough he had the same exact bag!!!  I certainly felt bad for doubting him and understood why didn't even check the name on the bag when he picked out mine.  He thought the same as I did, no one else will have the same ugly bag and definitely not on the same flight. LOL.

We had a car booked via Costco at Alamo.  I do not recommend this as it is off the airport and it would have been much more convenient to get a car from one of the agencies right there.  Returning it is also a different procedure and you cannot follow the regular rental car return signs. So for next time, unless I am saving a big amount, only a rental company that is close by will do.  Other than that the rental was fine.  We got the convertible, and somehow I did not believe all the reviews on here (LOL) that the trunk is small.  Yeah, that is definitely an understatement.

We got the bags in and drove out to Kailua to check into the Hula Breeze B&B.  Daughter jumped into the pool for a few minutes and then we walked about 7 minutes to the beach.   WOW!!!  The softest sand, the most beautiful turquoise water I have ever seen.  The waves were perfect for us to just frolic and splash around. Bee stayed about 2 hours and then it got overcast and chilly.  Walked back, showered, and went to Buzz's for dinner. Made the reservation at 5:30 for 6:30 and it was no problem.  

I ordered a Mai tai and my daughter had water.  She ordered the kids teriyaki steak with mashed potatoes and bok choi, I ordered the waloo that was grilled with Cajun spices with veggies.  We both had the salad bar that was just OK.  But our main dishes were great.  We cleaned our plates and my daughter decided she will be going back tomorrow.  Our server was Ally and she was super charming, nice, fast but not rushed and attentive.  My daughter ended up with mint ice cream pie and I had a cup of Kona coffee.  It was a great dinner with no doggie bags and great memory to take home.

Tomorrow we have Dolphin Quest, Hoku's for brunch and either Honouma bay if we can park or we will go to the Manoa falls.  So far so good :)

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Costco
Costco
93 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kailua
Kailua
Oahu, HI
The Hula Breeze
The Hula Breeze
193 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Mai Tai Bar
Mai Tai Bar
155 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Dolphin Quest
Dolphin Quest
788 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Hoku's
Hoku's
332 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,241 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report Day 1 - Kailua, Oahu

Loving your trip so far... looking forward to the next instalment. Have a great trip!!

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
1,011 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report Day 1 - Kailua, Oahu

Nice report. I'll love to hear more.

Portland
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report Day 1 - Kailua, Oahu

Cool! A live trip report! Hope your trip continues to go well. :)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
246 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report Day 1 - Kailua, Oahu

Thanks everyone. We are here for 2 weeks and I know I will not remember any details when I get back. I feel like this is the least I can do for this forum. I am so grateful for all the info and input from others on here, I hope someone can use my trip for some ideas.

5. Re: Trip report Day 1 - Kailua, Oahu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 am, October 07, 2012