We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Illegal Rentals Units

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
29,024 posts
Save Topic
Illegal Rentals Units

Recent article in Honolulu Star*Advertiser about illegal rental units:

"Hundreds of illegal vacation rentals generating millions of dollars could be shut down under a proposal city officials hope will make it easier to enforce the law that bans short-term rentals without a permit."

"A proposed ordinance would require vacation rental owners to include their city permit numbers on any advertisements in an effort to deter illegal businesses. The bill has come up before without success in the decades-old debate about vacation rentals on Oahu."

staradvertiser.com/news/20110802_city_propos…

This issue comes up almost every year on at least one of the islands.

Honolulu
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Illegal Rentals Units

Do you see any diffference between this ordinance and the ones in the past?

Do you think this measure has any more chance of passing [than previous years] since it only involves the ban on advertising and not on changing zoning laws?

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
29,024 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Illegal Rentals Units

It always has a chance of passing.

Don't know if it has more of a chance thins year than any other year.

Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Illegal Rentals Units

The zoning laws are there. People flaunt the laws because there is little money for enforcement and they figure hey, I can thumb my nose at the laws, make some money, so haha.

So they post their ads on VRBO, TA, etc, without repercussions. In all honesty I think that most visitors don't know about the issues with illegal vacation rentals here and most would do the right thing if they did know.

No new permits have been issued since 1989. Here's an ad from the TA Vacation Rental site---see any problem here? Hint: the description mentions "new construction." There ya go---dead giveaway that it's an illegal rental.

Sorry, can't include a link because it somehow put my name and private e-mail address into the link.

But it's the second place that comes up when you hit the Vacation Rental link on TA and click "Kailua." It's called Hale Kimo.

Edited: 10:18 pm, August 05, 2011
Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Illegal Rentals Units

Just looking around the TA Vacation Rental site and I see "34 Trusted Lanikai Rentals" listed for Lanikai.

Nice...especially since Lanikai has less than fifteen legally permitted vacation rentals. I clicked on "Moana Lani and Cottage" and, again, "new home." Clearly an illegal rental. Pretty pictures, though...

Sooo....you see what we're up against. Owners who don't care, renters who don't know, and renters who do know and don't care.

Oh jeez, ya got me started again. ;-)

Edited: 12:55 am, August 10, 2011
Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Illegal Rentals Units

Oh boy! A newly renovated property, formerly the Don Ho estate, is now a vacation rental!

1018 Mokulua Drive. Yep, illegal. There are only seven legal vacation rental properties on Mokulua Drive in Lanikai and #1018 is not one of them.

The ad is on TA, VRBO, and I'm sure a few other vacation rental sites.

Anyway...if you're looking for a vacation rental and care about doing the right thing (or are just worried that you'll be locked out of your booked property if present laws start being enforced) just ASK the owner or booking agent for the "Non-conforming use (NCU)" certificate number. If they can't provide it, they're illegal. Simple as that.

Here's a link to the list of legal vacation rental properties on Oahu.

honoluludpp.org/HotIssues/NUCreport.pdf

Corona del Mar...
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
58,839 posts
432 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Illegal Rentals Units

This is not an appropriate TA topic since it isn't really travel related, it is a political discussion about what government can and can not tell you what you can do with private property.

Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Illegal Rentals Units

It certainly is travel-related, Scott. We're talking about vacation rentals. Most people who are looking for vacation rentals would be concerned if there is a possibility that they might be renting a property that is not legally permitted and might be shut down by the time they arrive.

The laws and regulations are already on the books---all that remains is enforcement.

Government always tells us what we can do with private property so there's nothing new about that and there are regulations regarding vacation rentals, same as there are regulations regarding just about anything else in life.

I think Dusty posted the original post as a heads-up, not a political statement.

And I posted as a resident of one of the most illegal-vacation-rental-glutted towns on Oahu.

And you live in....?

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
29,024 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Illegal Rentals Units

"I think Dusty posted the original post as a heads-up, not a political statement."

Absolutely as a heads-up.

Seattle
Level Contributor
6,502 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Illegal Rentals Units

I'm troubled by the nagging feeling that, at the root of this, is a desire by many to allow NO vacation rentals in desireable neighborhoods.

We have rented numerous times in Kaneohe when we have wanted to be away from Waikiki. We have always been quiet, good neighbors, supported local businesses, and left the area cleaner than when we got there.

And frankly, I have not seen abuses by other vacation renters. Not in Kaneohe and not in Kailua.

My 2 cents.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
52,219 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Illegal Rentals Units

What we really need is some kind of balance. I lived in a house on Maui in a very residential neighborhood that had tons of illegal "vacation rentals". Nice for those visitors, but not us. No where to park, late night partying, different people in and out of the neighborhood, speeding along the streets with kids and on and on and on. Just as there are great visitors who are quiet, support the local businesses and clean up, there are also those who don't. It also takes away housing that could be used for the local residents. Housing is expensive and in short supply. There are places that are zoned for visitors. This is where they should stay. Not in our local neighborhoods.