We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driver and Car Tours on Oahu

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
Driver and Car Tours on Oahu

Has anyone ever done these tours , where someone drives you , 6$600 a day but the circle island tour is $140 a day anyway , this one seems a little more personal , and with 5 of us its a good deal

Also @ Dusty , I have read so many of your posts and consider you to be the one to ask , we are coming to Oahu , for our first time , 5 girlfriends from school , 43 years old average and we want to have a great time and see as much as we can , other then the normal places , like pearl harbour , etc etc , the ones that a highly advertised , can you tell me a little hidden gem of yours that we should not miss , we have the shopping sorted , we have the food sorted , not the nightclub yet but we shall sort it , but will take any info you can offer , but I just want to see your Oahu gem , if you are willing to share

thanks in advance

Suzy

Brownsville, Texas
Level Contributor
3,230 posts
72 reviews
95 helpful votes
1. Re: Driver and Car Tours on Oahu

Suzy,

If you don't want to drive yourself but you don't want a big group bus situation I would go with the private guided tour, as long as you aren't concerned about the $$$. To me, the extra money is worth the reduced pain that comes with group tours. I don't know what company you are going with so can't comment on that. We were discussing this company yesterday:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60982-d18…

No, they aren't free, that is an error they are supposed to get fixed. I haven't used them but their reviews are good and I spoke to the owner on the phone and she seems very nice. Her price is $130 PP for 6 hour private tour that is designed for you based on what you want to see.

I'm sure that Dusty will give you some good ideas.

Hope you have a wonderful visit.

Bumping for DUSTY!

Edited: 3:46 pm, August 04, 2011
Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
30,256 posts
2. Re: Driver and Car Tours on Oahu

Can one of you drive on the opposite side of the road? If so then rent a full size car or a minivan. For what you would pay for a tour of 6 hours, you could have the vehicle the entire time.

Or just rent one for a day or couple of days.

If you rent a vehicle for one day, combine Driving tours #1 & #2. It will be an all day (starting around 8:30am) trip.

If you rent a car for 2 days or more, then separate the driving tours.

If not, for other options, Google:

private tour Oahu

private limo Oahu

Here is one I just found. $400. Contact them about even more stops & ask how much more it would be.

classiclimousinehawaii.com/private_oahu_tour…

Or get a regular Circle Island tour even if it is on a larger bus. $60 or so & it would include USS Arizona Memorial. Tours no longer have to wait in line at USS Arizona Memorial. If you take a shuttle, the bus or drive, you have to wait in line for tickets & then wait again until the time of your tour.

You could still go to the other Pearl Harbor museums a different day. There is no waiting time for any of the other tours, except 15 minute or so until the shuttle comes.

enoa.com/pearl-harbor-tours/pearl-harbor-cir…

polyad.com/pearl_harbor_circle_island_tour.h…

There is also a doubledecker bus tour of Honolulu. You can get off at as many stops as you want. If I took this tour, I would just stay on the bus the entire first time around. Then you'll know more about where to stop the next time around.

Or just take a cab to Historic Honolulu/Aloha Tower/Chinatown area. You can stroll around the entire area.

http://www.alohabus.com/index.html

I've pretty much covered Oahu on the Top Questions on the right side of the page.

Diamond Head - With 5 of you just take a cab unless you rent a vehicle more than just a couple of days.

National Cemetery of the Pacific & Tantalus/Roundtop Drive are nice.

USS Arizona Memorial is a must.

Waimanalo Bay Recreation Area has a really nice beach.

Hanauma Bay is nice. Even if you do not snorkel it is a nice beach. They do have an admission. You do not have to pay the admission if you just stay above the beach. Nice for photos. Costs $1 to park.

Byodo-In Temple is nice.

Edited: 5:05 pm, August 04, 2011
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
3. Re: Driver and Car Tours on Oahu

Thanks for the advice

Thinking we may hire a car for a day , was worried about parking though , been told it is very hard to park at the attractions ?

5 more sleeps :)

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
30,256 posts
4. Re: Driver and Car Tours on Oahu

There are only a few attractions where it is hard to find parking.

You do not have to worry about parking in Waikiki. Park at your hotel or park at Aston Waikiki Banyan for $10/day. You do not have to stay at that hotel to get that rate.

Hanauma Bay may be difficult to to find parking after 8:30am or 9am in off peak season.

Waimea Bay may be difficult to find parking after 10am on weekends & during peak season.

USS Arizona Memorial you can find parking though sometimes a couple blocks away near Schooners Restaurant at the small boat Harbor. Or just wait five minutes or so until a spot opens.

Diamond Head may be difficult during peak season to find parking. But just tell the person at the booth that you will wait. It won't be but a few minutes.

There is free parking during the day at Waikiki Shell parking lot in Waikiki.

There is free parking at one lot behind Ilikai Hotel/Hilton Hawaiian Village area during the day at Ala Wai Yacht Harbor.

It really only depends on if one of you is willing to drive on the opposite side of the road.

Ulladulla, Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
4 helpful votes
5. Re: Driver and Car Tours on Oahu

5 more sleeps for us too! Yay. :) Who are you flying with?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
6. Re: Driver and Car Tours on Oahu

Hey Super Danni , we are flying with Hawaiian , outta Sydney , Friday night , what about you ? You going to Oahu?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
7. Re: Driver and Car Tours on Oahu

Thanks for all your info , looking forward to exploring some of these tips "]

Ulladulla, Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
4 helpful votes
8. Re: Driver and Car Tours on Oahu

Yeah we fly out Friday night as well but with qantas. We are staying in Waikiki for 9 days. Soooo excited. We were going to do various tours but in the end decided to hire a car for our whole stay. We used budget.co.uk because they include all the insurance that Aussies need in the price. Found that out on TA. Hope you have a great trip.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
9. Re: Driver and Car Tours on Oahu

Wow that sounds great , 9 days lucky you

Thanks for the tip on the car , are you worried at all about driving on the other side of the road ? I will look into the car website :)

You have a great time too , we may walk past each other in the street and not even know it , we are at the Sheraton Princess Kauilani

so looking forward to it

:)

Ulladulla, Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
4 helpful votes
10. Re: Driver and Car Tours on Oahu

Yeah I do get a little nervous with driving on the wrong side of the road. I have done it in the US and Europe before and as long as I just really think about what I am doing it is fine. I would suggest getting a gps a well so you aren't worrying about getting lost and can relax a bit.

Yes we might cross paths. If I see 5 Aussie women having a great time I will assume it is you. We are at the Aston pacific monarch and I am nervous because the reviews are really up and down but it is a 1 bedroom unit with ocean views for $180 per night so we decided to risk it.

How long are you going for?