We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights to Honolulu

New York
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Topic
Flights to Honolulu

Hello, we will be flying to Oahu for the first time and have found non-stop flights from Newark for $700 roundtrip. Is this is a good fare or can you typically catch them lower. It sounds reasonable but always looking for a bargain. We plan to go in May if that helps.

Also, we may want to check out one of the other islands, but just for a day trip...is this feasible?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights to Honolulu

That's a very good price for that flight. You should book before it goes up.

NE PA
Level Contributor
972 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights to Honolulu

You can do better if you have time to watch for a bargin. If Philadelphia departure is an option I got a Continental June flight PHL-HNL for $456.

Mentioned in this post
Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,764 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights to Honolulu

You can do worse. Since most airlines are in or just out of bankrupcy they have less flights. If you wait for a better deal odds are you will end up paying more as the available cheaper seats get taken.

Best bet, book it then stop looking. A trip to paradise is not cheap in and of itself and if your intent is to try to save a few bucks the airfare may not be the best place to try that.

Get the seats then work on planning the rest of your trip. Can you imagine booking everything else only to find out you either can't get a seat in that time frame or have to get a really expensive seat?

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,743 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights to Honolulu

Not too bad. i booked the non-stop flight out of Newark for the beginning of April and it was around $650. i booked it back in August before the fuel charges went up though.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,743 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights to Honolulu

Not too bad. i booked the non-stop flight out of Newark for the beginning of April and it was around $650. i booked it back in August before the fuel charges went up though.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flights to Honolulu

I've been monitoring prices out of Cincinnati for the summer. They are not cheap, definitely over $800. I think package deals can save you a lot of money.

I dont always find deals like what I am getting ready to tell you, as hard as I try, but waiting definitely panned out on this one.

In Oct. of 2002, I was monitoring prices in anticipation of booking our first trip to Hawaii. We live in Lexington (smaller airport, usually higher fares). One hour from Louisville and one hour from Cincinnati. So when checking flights, I always check prices from all 3 departures points. We weren't dead-set on going to Hawaii, but I could take a week off work in November so I started scanning prices.

The prices were over $600 rt from all 3 places. I kept checking every day, hopeful of a "sale". We had almost decided that we were not going to be going anywhere. I checked one last time. All 3 were still over $600 (which is still a good deal but not enough to entice us to go on such short notice without even having a hotel room booked yet). Again, I kind of accepted the fact we probably weren't going.

BUT...on Monday, I decided to check one more time. Out of Cincinnati- $600 something, out of Louisville, $560 something. Typed in Lexington...a price of $256 rt came up. I could not believe my eyes. Was this a "one-way" fare? Did I type something in wrong? Was it a mistake?

Needless to say, I booked our tickets IMMEDIATLEY. The flight had only one connection and had great times. We booked our hotel and were on our way to Hawaii 3 weeks later. This fare was on Continental. I looked the next day, Continental was still $256 and Delta had lowered theirs to match. The NEXT day, prices were back up.

Dont' know why we flew to Hawaii cheaper than what I can fly to Atlanta, but I don't care! Of course I continue to watch for deals, sometimes finding some good ones, but none will ever beat our trip to Hawaii! We would like to go again this year, but I expect we'll be paying full-fare!

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,465 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flights to Honolulu

flying to another or any island is possible but you will spend about 3 hours of your trip going in and out of airport security, parking and rental cars on the visited island

As a safe fare figure on about 150 to 200 for each rt. flight. It will cost the same to fly from Oahu to The Big Island or Kauai as from Maui...... dosent matter the distance. all are between 78 miles and 240.

Many dont go direct and hub through HNL. SO to get the Kona from Hilo you have to go throuugh honolulu and back.

It is better to do an open jaw ticket... in one and ouut the oother then buy a connecting flight..... between the islands........

I think there is an operator that does a tour from Oahu to the volcano for a day... its is like 350 a person

I dont think it is worth it to do a day trip..

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
121 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flights to Honolulu

dfarr-

How far in advance did you find this airfare out of Philadelphia? There will be a large group of us flying out of Philly. and we would love to get these prices? I have been checking and they have been at $629 which I didn't think was to bad but, I would love to be able to get the deal you got? My travel agent did tell me that last summer they went on sale for $485 so I hope they will go on sale this summer for me.

Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Flights to Honolulu

I signed up for a Fare Alert watch from Travelocity from Denver to HNL a few months ago. Every couple of weeks I would get an email...price had dropped to a certain dollar amt...but summer dates were never available. We were planning for mid-July 2006. Just last week I got another Fare Alert watch email. This time, though, there were summer dates. In fact, all of June, July and August were wide open. Denver to HNL, round trip, one connection in LAX for $342 per person on American Airlines. I bought them immediately.

Expedia prices were running about $700, even $750 if Colorado Springs to HNL.

So I would suggest signing up for that Fare Alert watch from Travelocity and watching your email. Especially since your travel month is relatively soon (May). You may find yourself very lucky!

Mentioned in this post