We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amberloo and food....

Pacific Northwest
Level Contributor
498 posts
44 reviews
41 helpful votes
Amberloo and food....

I have seen so many good recommendations regarding restaurant choices, happy hours, etc., on Oahu, and many of them come from Amberloo. I am wondering if you, Amberloo, have ever made a list of places that you'd recommend? I wouldlove to see it if you have. Especially because you've mentioned eating outside of Waikiki lately and all the good restaurants there.

Thanks!

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,567 posts
41 reviews
236 helpful votes
1. Re: Amberloo and food....

This is going to be good.....

: )

Edited: 9:04 pm, April 25, 2011
Snohomish...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
23,577 posts
19 reviews
59 helpful votes
2. Re: Amberloo and food....

I'm popping the popcorn, scorch...pass the salt, please!

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
30,401 posts
3. Re: Amberloo and food....

amberloo has made several lists.

On the right side of this page, Top Questions, click on the one for Cheap Eats on Oahu.

It will take you to a list of websites. Scroll to the restaurant section. There are a couple of good threads there.

Bayonne, France
Level Contributor
11,349 posts
4. Re: Amberloo and food....

OK, my current favorites by ethnic grouping are as follows, all are four or five stars on Yelp. And, in the interest of full disclosure, I like the best, but it’s got to be competitively priced:

Thai

Siam Garden. The best Thai food in Hawaii. On Nimitz Highway (Ala Moana Blvd) on the airport side of Downtown, just past Alakawa (where Costco is). The whole menu is great, but the Tom Yum soup, Drunken Noodles and curries are second to none. Wholly staffed by Thai nationals. Very inexpensive.

The same folks operate Siam Village on Lewers Street (just inland from Kuhio Ave) in Waikiki. Not as large a menu or as tasty food.

Keo’s in the Ambassador Hotel in Waikiki is also legendary. But they have gotten pricey.

Phuket Thai is a pretty good chain (with delicious fried chicken) and location near Waikiki in the McCully Shopping Center and on Queen Street just behind the Ward Centers.

Vietnamese

Pho to Chau. The best pho (Vietnamese noodle soup) on the planet. A legendary joint on River Street, at the far end of Chinatown between Hotel and King Streets. Indescribably delicious. Open 7 days a week 7 to 2:30. Everyone thinks its the best meal they have ever had when walking out. Is THE pho place recommended by every Vietnamese national I have talked to; almost always a line.

Pho 97. Although it has good (but not super-great) pho, iIt otherwise has the best Vietnamese food going. On Maunakea Street in Chinatown. Long hours with interesting, fresh dishes.

Korean

Orine Sarang Che. My new favorite place in town. Excellent, inexpensive Korean food served outdoors under a beautiful tree. Unbelievably good with an amazingly Hawaii ambience. Their spicy BBQ pork, kim chee pancake, Salt Prawns, Kal Bi Stew, and Octopus Somen are world-class. Just off Keeauamoku Street, a couple blocks behind Ala Moana Center, near Wal Mart.

Yakiniku Koryowan. If you like (or want to try) Korean nabe, very tasty and a unique dining experience, go to on Kapiolani Blvd just behind Ala Moana Center. It is definitely something you will remember. Can be crowded. The nabe is their best dish by far, the rest is just good.

So Gong Dong. The tried-and-true Korean restaurant for most visitors (particularly Japanese and Korean) is also in the McCully Shopping Center, just across the Ala Wai Canal Bridge at McCully St and Kapiolani Blvd. Really good food, very affordable, and open until 2 AM most nights. You can't go wrong there.

Ah-Lang (“The Angry Korean Lady”) The most unique Korean dining experience and just a block away from my place. The food is legendary, so is the owner/cook, who throws a humorous fit and "quits" every couple of hours, and storms out to have a smoke. My Korean friends tell me it is a hole-in-the-wall exactly like what is in Seoul. BYOB, no corkage fee.

Japanese (I got a million recommendations, these are just a few)

Ichiriki. Japanese nabe on Piikoi Street, across from Ala Moana Center just ocean-side of Kapiolani Blvd. Wonderfully healthy food in an environment my Japanese friends tell me is exactly like home. So tasty and a relaxing experience. Order the curry nabe.

Gyu Kaku, either on Lewers Street in Waikiki, or (preferably) on the ocean-side of Kapiolani Blvd between Piikoi and Pensacola Streets. Yakinuku style Japanese restaurant where you cook the food on a grill in the middle of the table. A wonderfully intimate way to dine.

Yohei Sushi, off Dillingham Blvd. just past Downtown. Make reservations, almost always packed.

Others in my favorite sushi lists are: Yanagi Sushi (near my house, open til 2 AM, great late night specials); and, Sushi ii, fantastic and almost unknown (in Koreatown)

If you want an izakaya, my favorite are Gaku on King Street (fairly pricey but worth it); Imanas tei, also on King St, just past University behind the 7-11; and, Gazen, on Kapiolani near King Street a couple miles inland from Waikiki where they make their own tofu and have some unique dishes.

In Waikiki, and not real cheap (but not overly pricey) I really love Jinroku in the Pacific Monarch Hotel, behind the Hyatt Regency. It is a teppanyaki joint, that has a very nice relaxed cafe ambience and fantastic food; including the best okonomiyaki in town.

If you want to try hip, trendy Japanese from a Hawaiian perspective, Shokudo is a very nice and currently "hot" place. It is right behind Ala Moana Center. Again, not really cheap, or really expsnive, but a great menu and great food in a modern atmosphere.

Indian

Cafe Maharani. Best Indian food in the islands (apart from the Haggai Institute in Kihei, but that's another story). Located just off King Street, near "Down to Earth" store near Univerity Ave. So flavorful, such huge servings, great ambience and always a line.

Greek

Olive Tree. Next to Kahala Mall, a unique Hawaii dining experience. Bring Cash!!! Pay when you pick up the entrée. Limited menu but fantastic food, neat setting, friendly people and always packed. It is BYOB and y ou can get your wine/beer in the Greek deli store next to the restaurant (owned by the same folks)

Others:

Nico's at Pier 38 (across from Siam Garden). Great lunch joint, Famous for its fish.

Epic or Indigo Downtown in the "Theater District". Stylish fusion restaurants offering up a unique mix of Asian, Hawaiian, West Coast dishes.

Any of the restaurants at McCully Shopping Center, just across the McCully Street bridge over the canal at the back of Waikiki. All are pretty good and a fanatastic variety in one locations.

http://www.mccullysc.com/page008.aspx

If you want some Italian, Burger or standard American joints let me know.

Edited: 10:07 pm, April 25, 2011
Snohomish...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
23,577 posts
19 reviews
59 helpful votes
5. Re: Amberloo and food....

Amberloo! Ya gotta learn to cook! Thanks!

Bayonne, France
Level Contributor
11,349 posts
6. Re: Amberloo and food....

Hey, mamma....

I had a wife who spent 25 years in the garden every evening. If i didn't learn to cook my boy and I would have starved.

I made Chicken Curry with asparagus last night, I know three or four killer Julia Child recipes, and have been told I could open a Mexican restaurant.

But eating out in Honolulu is often as cheap (or cheaper) than cooking at home given the number of inexpensive restaurants and high grocery costs.

Plus, one of my greatest joys in life is walking around town in the perfect evening weather; to a bar for a cocktail, to the restaurant for a meal, to a bar for a nightcap, and then back home.

OK, sometimes I bag the restaurant in the middle there.

The food is just so diverse and sooooooo good.

Plus, I don't have to clean up afterwards.

Thinking about this has really made me hungry, and it is now pau hana time.

I can hear all the food joints calling my name, beckoning to me in the last rays of another beautiful day.

Unless I can grab some freebies when walking through the grounds of Kawaiahao Church on the way home (they sometimes have a pot luck going on Mondays), I think it will be the Angry Korean Lady tonight.

Maui
Level Contributor
76,856 posts
18 reviews
16 helpful votes
7. Re: Amberloo and food....

Stop it........you're making me slobber on my keyboard, Amberloo!! I look like Nick, for gawd's sake, LOL.

Ya' coming over for the Cinco gathering here--or are you staking out your spot in Chinatown/Hotel St already?

Pacific Northwest
Level Contributor
498 posts
44 reviews
41 helpful votes
8. Re: Amberloo and food....

"If you want some Italian, Burger or standard American joints let me know."

Yes, please. :)

I've never had Japanese Vietnamese, or Korean food but love Thai and Chinese. Are they similar? Have heard a lot about Pho so think I need to try that. I'm not a real fan on Kim Chee, but can use chopsticks quite well! :)

I wish we lived in a spot that we could "walk around town in the perfect evening weather; to a bar for a cocktail, to the restaurant for a meal, to a bar for a nightcap, and then back home. ", but alas, we are cold, windy and very remote so it would be a very long walk. Unless a Bud Light at the local tavern, a "Pirate Burger" at the local cafe and then back to the tavern for a Budweiser nightcap count, lol. That's why I always look forward to the eating part of my traveling!

Thanks for your help, Amberloo, and for the suggestions to come. I will also follow the links that Dusty suggested. Hope the Angry Korean Lady treated you well tonight!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
44 reviews
29 helpful votes
9. Re: Amberloo and food....

Pho have 2 different styles (northern and southern).

I don't know if they have the northern style in Oahu, but they have both in California.

Since I'm Vietnamese, when I taste Pho, I can tell if it's good authentic or not.

yfunk3
Level Contributor
470 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
10. Re: Amberloo and food....

What are people's thoughts about Alan Wong's Pineapple Room inside the Macy's? I have heard some bad or mediocre reviews mixed with some good reviews from all manner of websites, and just wanted to know if dinner was worth it there. Was hoping to treat myself to at least one semi-nice dinner one night and don't think I'll ever be able to make it to Alan Wong's on King Street. I really wanted to stick around the Ala Moana or Waikiki area for a really nice meal that was worth the splurge.