We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do indoors?

Canada
Level Contributor
263 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
What to do indoors?

Leaving in a week and just saw the 14 day forecast, looks like we are going to have rain for 50% of the trip……..what to do in the rain?? I’ve planned nothing for indoor activities!!!

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
49,492 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do indoors?

Aloha,

Step away from the weather channel, for starters!

This is a very, very common q..........which is why we added a "Top Question" on the main forum page about finding better weather forecasts.

Check NOAA's site, hawaiiweathertoday.com , and kgmb news.................any forecast more than 36-48 hours is worthless. Also, remember that much of the rain happens in certain areas (like the mountains) or at night.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,331 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do indoors?

Who knows what the weather will bring so far out. Just in case, here's a few ideas. Bishop Museum, Iolani Palace, Ala Moana Shopping Center, Art Museum and the Aquarium.

Edited: 1:47 pm, April 07, 2011
Portland
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do indoors?

Are you traveling as a couple or a family? A relaxing massage at any of the wonderful spas in Waikiki is a great indoor activity!!

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,819 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do indoors?

Well, if it rains, it's only rain not snow or ice. (I know you weren't complaining about it LnD, so I mean no disrespect.)

I like all of MsFuzz's suggestions...can't change the weather...just get out explore some sights, shop, and have fun. And I wouldn't pay too much attention to those forecasts as SW said. Beyond 48 hours...nobody knows with much certainty. Except that your on a wonderful Hawaiian isle and "activity" is a relative term. Aloha!!!

Edited: 3:38 pm, April 07, 2011
LA
Level Contributor
9,603 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do indoors?

What is wrong with a little rain?

It is still possible to swim, snorkel, play in the water, etc.

Canada
Level Contributor
263 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do indoors?

no no,not complaining…..just worried, I built this entire holiday around dry sunny conditions, so need to make a backup plan! Massage sounds great OR maybe I just need a list of bars with the best Happy Hour!! :o)

Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do indoors?

Bishop Museum

Iolani Palace

Queen Emma's Summer Palace

Honolulu Academy of Arts

Waikiki Aquarium

Shopping at Ala Moana Center, or take a shuttle to the Waikele Outlets

Games and food at Dave & Buster's

Catch a movie

Shoot guns at the Waikiki Gun Club

Find a good bar with good music and take it from there

A little rain is no big deal. But if you get stuck with a storm system outdoor activities are really not all that much fun. And yes, we do get frog-stranglers here, complete with mud and rock slides and runoff from the mountains that turns many beaches brown and ugly.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,392 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do indoors?

Aaaaaarrrrgh.....

Every weatherman showed be whipped and dragged through the streets behind a camel.

"They" said it was going to rain all day Tuesday, but it was perfect.

"They" said it was going to rain all day Wednesday, but it was a lovely day (if a little overcast).

We did have a spectacular thunderstorm come through last night, but it was sparodic and from 9 PM to maybe midnight. With a few light showers before dawn.

"They" said it was supposed to rain all day today, but it is marvelous once again. Sunny skies, scattered clouds, light Kona winds, temps on the way to the low 80s.

I can see Ala Moana Beach from my office, and it is another SPF 200 type of day so far. I wish I was out there surfing or paddleboarding right now.

Like I always say, "Have faith, people". The weather is typically beautiful and near perfect in Honolulu.

Sufficient rain to spoil a day in the "only city in paradise" is very rare, and not typical at all for this time of year. Every day we move more out of the rainy season and into summer (dry) conditions.

And LnD, it surely doesn't have to be raining to enjoy our Happy Hours.

The ones to check-out in Waikiki are Yard House, RumFire, Top of Waikiki, Wolfgang's, Ruth Chris and Moose's; just to name a few.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,331 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do indoors?

Just a little caveat, I live just a few blocks mauka (mountain side) of Waikiki. It poured at my house yesterday afternoon. It was like a monsoon. After a couple of hours it quit. Later on we did get thunder and lightening in the middle of the night with torrants of rain. Just matters where you are at any given moment. More rain this morning but it's nice a sunny now.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
318 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do indoors?

I have a 100% success rate with my rain forecasts. I don't know why the professional weather forecasters have so much trouble. LnDThirtySomething, for the days you are in Hawaii there is a 50% chance of precipitation. (either it will rain or it won't). And either way there is a 100% chance of enjoyment.

KailuaMama & msfuzz's list's are excellent, although we probably wouldn't get too far past the shopping malls knowing my good wife. We leave in less than a week as well but are taking a slow boat. We aren't stressing about the weather as there isn't much we can do about it.

Have a great trip and let us all know how you get on.