We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report march 5-10

NORTH CAROLINA
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
16 helpful votes
Trip report march 5-10

It felt like an eternity waiting for this trip to get here andf poof it's over but we had a great time as usual.

Weather on Oahu was a little cloudy but no real rain to speak of.We stayed at the Royal Grove again great budget hotel and prime location.

Day 1

We got in around 4pm by the time we got our rental and made the dreaded Walmart stop we got to the hotel a littlle after 6pm. That night we went and had a mai tai at the Royal Hawaiian Mai tai Bar good but expensive 28 bucks for two with tip. We ate dinner at Ezogiku in the Royal Hawaiian Center as they had closed the location on Koa ave hubby was bummed it was good but not as good as what we used to get at the Koa location.

Day 2

We both woke up around 4:30 am so we got up had breakfast at Mickey D's big breakfast with spam and portugese sausage of course and then headed to Pearl Harbor of course we had to stop at Leonards and get a malasada pineapple filled is ono!

We got on the first launch over to the memorial with a tour group since they had a couple tickets left. Checked out the new museum really impressed with the renovations there much more room there now. We didn't do any of the other sites as hubby was going back on tuesday to do everything on his own we always do a solo day. Headed up to the North shore had to try Opal's Thai Truck this time i was determined and it was awesome the best thai food we have ever had even better than what we had in san Francisco and the owner is great very friendly and customer oriented. It is across ythe street from Mickey d's in Haliewa give it a try we loved it and very reasonable too.

We headed around the windward side did the Makapu'u Lighthouse trail saw whales lots of local residents also enjoying the trail as it was a sunday. We went back towards Waimanalo and went to Bellows Beach to see if it was open since it was a sunday and it was great beach not a lot of sun but we chilled out and relaxed so it was all good. We had dinner at Kona Brewing on the way back was going to try to sit in the bar since Led Kaapana was playing but the bar area was packed we did get to hear him though.

Day 3

This was just a beach day we went to Ala Moana Beach Park in the morning it was great water is very calm here. We had lunch at Nico's Pier 38 awesome as usual and then headed back to Waikiki to chill out on the beach the rest of the day. We took the bus to Ala Moana and had dinner at Goma Tei Ramen it was good and we enjoyed it a lot.

Day 4

This was our solo day hubby did his usual and went to Pearl Harbor and did all the sites there he took the car so I took the bus went to Hawaii State Art Museum it's free and i also had lunch at the place in the lobby Downtown @ HSAM run by the guy that owns Town restaurant in Kaimuki great fresh food good sandwiches,soups and antipasti. I checked out Chinatown for a little while had a avocado bubble tea from Thang's in the Maunakea Marketplace courtyard. M ade my way back to Waikiki shopped around some. We had dinner in from Me's korean bbq in the bottom of the RG as I was doing laundry and then we went and had a couple drinks at Duke's cheaper than the Royal Hawaiian but not as good imo.

Day 5

We got up headed to the Bishop Museum this was great really enjoyed visiting the museum. We headed to Downtown area and had lunch again at Downtown i wanted hubby to try it We then walked to the King Kamehameha Statue we had driven by it a few times but never stopped took pictures of course then headed back to Waikiki for some beach time. We had dinner at Cheesebuger Beachwalk I wasn't expecting too much but hubby wanted to go it was actually pretty good but I got chicken and hubby got kalua pork so can't comment on the burgers but $10 for a hamburger without fries is not right.

We were headed for Maui the next day for 7 more days in Hawaii YEAH!!!

I will post a seperate Maui report on the Maui forum.

We are planning on returning next summer with ny daughter and probably her boyfriend as she graduates this year from UNC and has to do a 1 year intensive program to get a Masters of Arts in Teaching which starts almost as soon as she graduates. She applied to Wake Forest University (a little bragging here) she recieved a full scholarship which includes a $535 monthly stipend and computer. We are so proud of her she has never given us any cause for worry.

We wiil probably only do Maui as I took my daughter to Kauai and Oahu in 2009 and she said Oahu was too busy for her lol. I think she will like the Napili area we stayed at in Maui it is very lowkey and there will be a lot more cooking in with 4 people going although my husband and her boyfriend might fly to Oahu for a couple nights to do Pearl Harbor and maybe an ATV tour at Kualoa Ranch the boyfriend has never been to Hawaii and my husband can't go to Hawaii and not visit Pearl Harbor it means a lot to him.

We didn't spend more than $55 dollars with tip on any meal even on Maui we don't eat at the high end places. We only ate one breakfast out in waikiki I had picked up cinnamon bread from Leonards it was awesome really fresh much better than what you get in the grocery store so we ate that every moring with pineapple and apple bananas love those wish we could get them here.

The question about Bellows Beach has come up before so yes it is open on the weekends they have a sign at the gate with the times.

We used enterprise this time the car was not very clean the keyless remote did not work and the turn signal would not turn off after turning corner you had to maually do it but not worth returing we just called them and let them know about the issues. We also used enterprise on Maui much better car and better customer service all around.

While we were waiting for our flight at OGG to HNL for our flight back home on thursday at the gate a man started playing a guitar and singing it was Led Kaapana he had played at Napili the night before at the Masters of Slack Key Concert so we got an impromptu comcert he was awesome.

Sorry for being so long winded I miss Hawaii so much already.

Edited: 10:04 pm, March 19, 2011
Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
30,272 posts
1. Re: Trip report march 5-10

Nice trip report.

And congratulations to your daughter.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
375 posts
58 reviews
59 helpful votes
2. Re: Trip report march 5-10

A really fun read!!

Keller, Texas
Level Contributor
31 posts
18 reviews
8 helpful votes
3. Re: Trip report march 5-10

Nice trip report thanks for sharing

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
22,679 posts
3 reviews
7 helpful votes
4. Re: Trip report march 5-10

Thanks for taking the time to write up the trip report and congrats to your daughter!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
240 posts
19 reviews
16 helpful votes
5. Re: Trip report march 5-10

thanks for the great trip report - more ideas to add to our list :)

congratulations to your daughter too - justifiable bragging (LOL)- you and your hubby must be very proud of her

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
167 reviews
129 helpful votes
6. Re: Trip report march 5-10

Great TR - thank you - I think you received quite a send-off there at the end!

As for your daughter - bragging rights are definitely in order.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
55,769 posts
3 reviews
5 helpful votes
7. Re: Trip report march 5-10

Thanks for the report, UNCMOM2011!! you have every right to brag!!

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,559 posts
41 reviews
236 helpful votes
8. Re: Trip report march 5-10

Great report!

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
9,015 posts
9. Re: Trip report march 5-10

That smart daughter must definitely take after the mom! Congrads to your daughter UNCMOM! xoxo Hee...hee!

I enjoyed your unique TR, UNC....reminded a bit of some of the itinerary in Bips and BLBL's TR. So I suppose you liked the H Art Museum?

(How I'd love to be sitting on top of King K's shoulders in my bright swimwear, but I am sure Five-0 would nail me! Dang that McGarret!) LOL

NORTH CAROLINA
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
16 helpful votes
10. Re: Trip report march 5-10

Aloha Caddy

Yes I did enjoy the HSAM I am always looking for budget things to do and good budget places to eat on our trips I have actually been there before with my daughter in 2009 and that's how we discovered the place to eat in the lobby.

Besides Maui also thinking of going to the BI next year we are a National Park vsiting family so we would all enjoy visiting the NP sites there will have to decide between one or the other but we have time.

Thanks everyone for the congratulations we are really happy for her and our pocketbook lol. Best thing is she won't have to take out any student loans for next year. I still can't believe how much the tuition is there since it is a private university 32,000 just for tuition it boggles the mind.

Edited: 5:26 pm, March 20, 2011