We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Trip report!

Well, I haven't posted much ever, but wanted to give back to all the posters I have read in the research and planning of our trip. We stayed at the Outrigger reef on the beach with our 17 yr old son and 15 yr old daughter the last week of February. First trip to Hawaii, will NOT be the last! Everything we did was researched through trip advisor postings and while I never conversed with Dusty, I certainly used his advice. My kids even started to kid me with "what did Dusty say about this?"!

So, Mahalo to Dusty and all!

Such a wonderful trip. We did a little more than half on the list and we did a LOT! Reef on the beach was awesome, nice partial ocean view and view of the pool from the lanai even with an aloha city view room. Pearl harbor was a FULL day, wonderful time. We rented a car at the airport (thanks dusty), and used the Hale Koa outdoor parking area literally feet from our hotel. $16 per day and we could come and go. Snorkeling at Hanauma Bay was the best, great place for pictures. Surfing lessons on Waikiki were the best, the next day hubby and kids rented boards and thought they could do it on their own but had a harder time, LOL. Surfing is hard! Hale Koa luau was very nice, especially for the price. We have no military ties but were able to book it. The weather was great, a little cloudy and muggy the beginning of the week but low 80's. Very nice for us!! We stopped at the Dole plantation but did not do train or anything, just wanted to stop and check it out. Don't necessarily like those real tourist traps, but tourism is essential to the economy!

Shave ice, shrimp trucks, watching the surfers on the north shore was one of the best days. Can't believe we didn't make it back during the week, we just ran out of time!

Diamond head was worth the climb! Didn't realize the military significance of it before.

Aloha swap meet was good too, but we liked to scout out local Hawaii made items too. Don' t do the international marketplace if you do the swap meet. We did enjoy the breakfast buffet at Dukes, other time we used the hotel fridge for cereal, yogurt, granola etc from the grocery stores. Punchbowl cemetery, the palace, historical statues, etc. Some stuff doesn't take very long but worth the stop.

Nico's Pier 38 was great, such fresh fish...

Is Waikiki busy? Yes, but we knew that. Wanted the kids to have a good time too! We generally like to go, go, go and see a lot as well as relax so this was a great combination. Being right on Waikiki was a good choice. We are from the Boston area so we are used to: people, traffic, high cost of everything, homeless, so none of that was an issue for us. Sure, some homeless, but it seemed they were all in one locale near the pier/shopping center area. We didn't do much "shopping" other than for souveniers as we have most of those stores at home.

We renewed our wedding vows at the Outrigger Reef on the beach, which was very nice. Also at the hotel we made leis and my son took a ukelele lesson, he took a liking to it and bought a fairly "nice" one at the swap meet. Still plays it today!!

All in all, a really nice family trip. I could go on all day with details, but eat some shave ice, have a few tropical drinks and enjoy a most wonderful place! A lot of my planning went out the window, and just realize you have to go with the flow. It worked for us! It was a little "touristy" for us, but we really wanted that Polynesian feeling and we got that. Different from our usual ski trips!

Ok, so I think I really want to go to Maui next year..............

One more thing, there are so very many wonderful Japanese tourists there, and we met a wonderful couple at the vow ceremony that had been married 50 years! Swapped business cards after we offered to take their pictures. Such nice people, and my heart goes out to all the Japanese in light of the disaster. The situation is truly heartbreaking and I wish the best to all......

Mahalo!

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Pearl Harbor Tours
Pearl Harbor Tours
167 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Hale Koa Hotel
Hale Koa Hotel
2,136 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Hanauma Bay Tours
Hanauma Bay Tours
1,210 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Hale Koa Luau
Hale Koa Luau
451 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Dole Plantation
Dole Plantation
5,039 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
153 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Aloha Hawaii Tours
Aloha Hawaii Tours
1,273 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Keller, Texas
Level Contributor
31 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report!

Short and sweet, loved it!

Keller, Texas
Level Contributor
31 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report!

short and sweet, loved it!

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,575 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report!

Nice trip report. I'm glad you had a good time on Oahu.

Please do come back for each of the other islands.

Each of the of the other islands has DE's & others that give great advice.

TripAdvisor is a great forum. Each of the islands has DE's & others that provide excellent info.

BTW, thanks for mentioning me. But Oahu has many that give great advice. amberloo is by far the Oahu expert.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,729 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report!

Thank You for posting your trip report.

I will also be making my first trip to HNL from BOS, How was your flight and what airline did you fly on?

It's great receiving so much insight before you leave for a trip in a location you haven't been before. I agree with you, Hawaii DE's are very helpful.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report!

Thank you for the TR - I really enjoyed it and frankly I am taking notes for a long overdue trip to Oahu after years of Maui. The time always goes by so quickly!

I also hope you decide to return to the islands - indeed, each is unique.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
new jersey
Level Contributor
1,721 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report!

Sounds like a great time!

Thanks for posting :)

Minnesota
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report!

Thanks for your trip report! I also do tons of reading on TA but not a lot of posting. We are staying at the Outrigger Reef at the end of May. I have not read about the Hale Koa parking option. Is that available to everyone or is it limited to military. I would love to avoid the $30 parking if possible.

Mentioned in this post
Hale Koa Hotel
Hale Koa Hotel
2,136 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Minneapolis
Level Contributor
303 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report!

Thanks for your TR! Enjoyed reading it very much.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,575 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report!

You can park at Hale Koa for 516.day, minimum 3 days.

halekoa.com/about_us/…Parking

Mentioned in this post
Hale Koa Hotel
Hale Koa Hotel
2,136 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report!

yes, as Dusty says, go to the main, covered, parking lot directly across from the Hale Koa hotel. easy to find. You then purchase a multi-day parking pass that is $16 per day, good for the covered parking garage and also the open lot that is closer to the Outrigger. The card they give you allows in and out entry. They take $10 for the card, and on your last day return the card for the $10. The open lot is diagonal from the Outrigger, just across the street. Hubby would drop us right at the hotel if we had a lot of baggage, if not, we just walked. Much better than $30 per day. As far as I know, you do not have to be military. The subject never came up! Have a good time!!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Hale Koa Hotel
Hale Koa Hotel
2,136 Reviews
Oahu, HI