We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aussies heart Waikele - good example of why..

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Aussies heart Waikele - good example of why..

Today I went to DFO - Direct Factory Outlets - at Homebush, in Sydney.

When I was in Hawaii we visited Waikele, and I got two pairs of Converse shoes (one pair of chucks, one pair of sneakers) for $40US.

I saw them that same day at Ala Moana for $39,95 for one pair of the same shoes I bought.

Today at the Converse factory outlet store, *one* pair of the exact same shoes I bought were $95.

$20US VS $95AUD.

I did not see a single thing at the factory outlets that compared with the bargains available at Waikele. It is the very first time I have visited an outlet store here in Australia and not bought anything. I doubt I will ever be inspired by "bargain" shopping here again after seeing what is on offer in the US.

So when an Aussie asks here - should I visit Waikele - it might be worth remembering what our prices are like here in Australia before giving them advice not to go. :)

And if you are Australian and reading this and visiting Oahu soon, I suggest before you buy anything anywhere that you visit Waikele and price check. We visited there on our first full day which worked out really well for us and during our time in Oahu I did not see anything we bought at Waikele cheaper anywhere else.

Corona del Mar...
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
58,459 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aussies heart Waikele - good example of why..

Is part of the higher costs the GST in Oz?

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aussies heart Waikele - good example of why..

The GST is only 10% of the sale price. So it can't just be that. :(

I'm not entirely sure what makes things so expensive here. But they are hugely expensive and so when given an opportunity to buy things so much cheaper how could we pass that up? ;)

That is why I am concerned when I see people (particularly DA's) saying not to bother with Waikele etc, because to people in the US I guess it is no different to shopping in their home town but for us it is hugely different and I would be upset to see people take that advice and then find out later that they really missed out on a bargain opportunity - especially when it is a 10 hour flight to go back.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aussies heart Waikele - good example of why..

Thanks. Waikele is one of the first things on my list from reading your trip report last year. Hope you get to go back sooner rather than later!

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
809 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aussies heart Waikele - good example of why..

Yes I must agree, Waikele Outlets have some fantastic specials compared to Australia....some of my favourites are the Guess shop and also Sketchers shoes! We are heading back again later this year and hope to pick up some more Waikele bargains

sydney
Level Contributor
384 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aussies heart Waikele - good example of why..

Beedo , we have found the same thing - shops , let alone the outlets , in the USA are just waaaaaay cheaper than Australian outlets , its ridiculous . I just wish their was a Quiksilver or Billabong outlet at Waikele ;-)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Aussies heart Waikele - good example of why..

couldn't agree more .... that's why i'm going back in 2 weeks time (woohoo!!!!) after my first ever trip to hawaii 4 months ago .... i suddenly lost my mood to shop in sydney having seen what they offered in hawaii .... this time bring more $$$ and bigger luggages (thanks to Hawaiian airlines)

Best moment: I nabbed 7 items at Banana Republic in Waikele for only $90 ... zippy's i'm coming!!!!

Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Aussies heart Waikele - good example of why..

Jeez, I live here and haven't been to the Waikele outlets in years, even though I am a frequent flyer at Lowe's which is just across the way from the outlets.

This thread has me thinking that I owe that place a visit!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Aussies heart Waikele - good example of why..

kailuamama, I'll swap places with you anytime .... lol .... us aussie are getting ripped off big time down here

9. Re: Aussies heart Waikele - good example of why..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 am, February 07, 2012