We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TR - What DID you do, Betty Lou??

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,670 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
TR - What DID you do, Betty Lou??

OK ... I promise to do my utmost to faithfully report back. See first couple days below in next post ... and then I'll continue on this thread.

Betty Lou

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,670 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TR - What DID you do, Betty Lou??

Saturday: My plane left Sacto 25 minutes early, arriving in Honolulu 45 minutes early. I caught a cab to Waikiki. It was way too early to check into the Queen Kapiolani, so I dropped off my bags and walked the block (more or less) to Lulu's. Fish tacos (sans Cajun spices!) were tasty, portions were generous - and excellent service. I swung by the ABC for water and then back to the hotel - anxious to change out of the 5:00 a.m. Sacto clothes! Ack!

I'll do a review of the Queen Kapiolani later, but let's start with KILLER view!

I unpacked, tried to talk myself into a nap, but darn, it - it's Waikiki, baby! Gotta romp. And romp I did ... initiating my first set of blisters for the week. Anyway, I had a concert at the Hawaii Theatre that night -- and it was great. Will write more later on that.

Sunday: What's better than rolling out of bed at dawn and hitting the Starbuck's down the block on the beach? Walk out on the pier ... ahhh! My fave part of the day. Attended services at Kawaiaha'o Church (as always) and then grabbed a bus for Ala Moana Shopping Center. I needed a strategic strike at Long's Drugs ... and stopped for fish tacos at California Pizza Kitchen (do you detect a pattern?). They make wonderful fish tacos, BTW. I paid homage to Mother Macy's and came back -- too late for the Royal Hawaiian Band in concert in Kapiolani Park. :o(

For some reason, I have 10 times more energy in Honolulu than at home ... so another long walk at sunset. I explored the Marriott. Did you know that there is actually a hotel in all that retail?

More later ...

Edited: 8:35 pm, January 25, 2011
Mentioned in this post
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Queen Kapiolani Hotel
Queen Kapiolani Hotel
1,609 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Ala Moana Hotel
Ala Moana Hotel
3,666 Reviews
Oahu, HI
California Pizza Kitchen
California Pizza Kitchen
383 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kapiolani Park
Kapiolani Park
961 Reviews
Oahu, HI
NORTH CAROLINA
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TR - What DID you do, Betty Lou??

Great start!!

It's amazing how much easier it is to get up early on vacation instead of just for work yuck!

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,429 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TR - What DID you do, Betty Lou??

Sounds wonderful!

Great to read a positive about the Queen Kapiolani. I know Amberloo always speaks highly of it, but never had a regular stay there. Not that it will get me out of the Turtle Bay Resort, but good to read. : )

Look forward to reading more!

Mentioned in this post
Queen Kapiolani Hotel
Queen Kapiolani Hotel
1,609 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Turtle Bay Resort
Turtle Bay Resort
4,705 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,267 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TR - What DID you do, Betty Lou??

Great read so far...come on we need more!!!

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,233 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TR - What DID you do, Betty Lou??

I look forward to your concert report. I had hoped for a long weekend in Honolulu to attend, but had to settle for the Oregon Coast instead.

Mentioned in this post
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,670 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TR - What DID you do, Betty Lou??

Saturday: The concert was a tribute to Charles E. King and Johnny Noble - both composers of Hawaiian music in the early 20th Century. I had no idea what they wrote, but I KNEW I would recognize many of the songs. I also had no idea who the performers would be ... so I was pleasantly surprised to hear Robert Cazimero and Hoku Zuttermeister - as well as some very talented aunties. Kawika Trask hosted the event --- excellent music and witty dialogue. This is the third concert I have had the priviledge of hearing at the Hawaii Theatre in the past few years. Loved them all.

Monday: Breakfast at Lulu's (OK - nothing special) and then a bus ride to the airport to pick up my car. You know that long thread we had about the add on car rental fees for a new rental facility. WELL - they need it! It is difficult to imagine how a busy, high-volume airport like HNL manages with such old facilities/systems. I picked up a small Nissan something-or-other and headed to the Punchbowl. Very few visitors on a beautiful day. I climbed up to the mosaics. Everyone should experience this.

From the Punchbowl, I took the Tantalus Drive Loop to the State Park (name escapes me) for the WOW! WOW! WOW! view of Honolulu. Since I pretty much had the road to myself, I turned around and made the drive again! My parents lived on Mt Tantalus in the late 1940s. Beautiful area -- rainforesty. It has inspired me to visit a couple arboretum (pl?) to learn the name of some of those plants/trees.

From Tantalus, I headed for Ward Center -- as I heard they had a Jam's World store. Mission accomplished, and I need to go back and give the Center more time (not $, just time). Ate most of a Kua Aina (?) burger for lunch (ono). Then went exploring for the Jam's World OUTLET. Again, mission accomplished. Not bad for a kid who had never driven on Oahu before.

Quiet evening ... walked down to the Royal Hawaiian Center where I found ... Kawika Trask and his trio performing. Long day. Slept well.

Edited: 11:08 pm, January 25, 2011
Mentioned in this post
Hoku's
Hoku's
332 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Royal Hawaiian Center
Royal Hawaiian Center
606 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
11,207 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: TR - What DID you do, Betty Lou??

I think we need to put an ankle bracelet on Betty Lou...

Or at least tag her dorsal fin with a GPS tracker.

Kawiahao Church (next to 5-0 HQ), Lulu's, Tantalus, fish tacos, waaaay too much culture stuff, and now a car.

The woman is going off the reservation.

Edited: 11:53 pm, January 25, 2011
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,670 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TR - What DID you do, Betty Lou??

First, the State Park on Tantalus with the great view of Honolulu (and beyond) is Pu'u Ualaka'a State Wayside Park.

Tuesday: I walked down to Hula Grill for breakfast - usually a fave of mine. Not this time. Wierd-tasting eggs that I sent back, dry chewy pancakes ... blah POG. Maybe just a bad day! Great view.

Taking longboard's advice, I made an appointment to view the Disney timeshares - Aulani Disney Vacation Club Villas. I drove out to Ko'Olina mid-morning ... light traffic ... took about 45 minutes. In my mind, I thought it would be kinda Ka'anapali-like ... and I was right. It was how I would picture Ka'anapali before it was built out. Lots of open space. It was just the sales lady and I. No super pitching, no free dinners at Longhi's or luaus. She walked me through the timeshare process, numbers, policies and such. Then we rode over to the resort and walked through the models. The resort is scheduled to open in August -- but the structures are in place, so it was easy to get a good sense of the finished site. While I've never been a train conductor at D-Land like Amberloo, I'm no Disney virgin. I am a graduate of the College of Disney Knowledge! ...special travel agent training. So, I had a good chat with the sales representative. If any of you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me - and I'll get back to you when I get home (on a real keyboard).

I did like the Ko'Olina area - although it would be a real pain to stay there if you wanted to spend much time in Honolulu. I drove around a bit. BTW - the Pro Bowl players are staying at the Marriott Ihilani. Lots of extra security. I stopped for some ono shrimp tacos at a restaurant called "Just Tacos" on the main drag in Ko'Olina. Contrary to their names ... they served alot more than tacos. Feed me beer-battered shrimp, and I will follow you anywhere.

So -- I watched the State of the Union ... and after sunset headed down Kalakaua to Border's Books for a Hawaiian music CD fix. Is it just me, or was the guy that redesigned the Royal Hawaiian Center on drugs? Confusing! You can see where you want to go ... but you can't get there. Anyway, picked up a quick taco at Maui Tacos and headed for the hotel.

Edited: 2:04 am, January 26, 2011
Mentioned in this post
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa
Aulani, a Disney Resort...
5,723 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Ka'anapali
Ka'anapali
Maui, HI
Longhi's
Longhi's
1,228 Reviews
Maui, HI
Royal Hawaiian Center
Royal Hawaiian Center
606 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,267 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TR - What DID you do, Betty Lou??

I see a pattern emerging...LOVE it!

NY
Level Contributor
316 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: TR - What DID you do, Betty Lou??

I felt the same way you do about Ko'olina; it reminded me a lot of Ka'anapali with the golf course and the beautiful pathways to stroll.

Mentioned in this post
Ka'anapali
Ka'anapali
Maui, HI