We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best rate for a car rental

Toronto
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best rate for a car rental

Can anyone tell me where is the best place to rent a car on Ohau. ( What company and what rate can I expect

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Best rate for a car rental

I'm leaving in Feb, I got my car from Alamo for a mid size car for a week it was $231. That was the best rate that I have found and I have been looking and calling around alot. I know that they have the economy size for a cheaper price, but I wanted a mid size. I think they are 2 blocks from the airport and they have a shuttle. By the way that price is including tax and fees.

Modesto, CA
Level Contributor
93 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best rate for a car rental

I used Yahoo and did a search in the travel category for a car only. Four or five different car rental agencies were displayed, with rates for three different types of cars. If your are renting just for a day, there are car rental agencies in the Waikiki area, and I found a car for just $30.00 a day. This is a more detailed search. I have read several reviews for hotels that charge for parking, so you may want to be aware.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best rate for a car rental

I used this site, which someone else on the board recommended. I got a full-size rental from Thrifty for $175 for a week in June of 2006.

http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/

I've also used breezenet.com in the past for discounts. Last year I got a great deal on a convertible through this site (again, the rental car company was Thrifty).

The Thrifty rental place is a little off airport, not that convenient and pretty hard to find on your way back, though.

California
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best rate for a car rental

Dollar Rental....THEE cheapest....and they give a discount for AAA, Costco, and if you stay at any of the Outrigger Hotels....you can use your $50 Big Kahuna dollars to pay for your car....GREAT Deal!!!

Riverview, Michigan
Level Contributor
125 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best rate for a car rental

My spouse booked us through Hawaii Drive-O, for 9 days on a compact car for $276 (tax included). I was initially a little skeptical as it seemed really low. But Budget sent us a confirmation email directly, so off we went. When we arrived, Budget tried (as all rentals do) to get us to buy an upgrade to a convertible, but my spouse just kept politely saying no thank you, no thank you. Well, they were out of compacts and we ended up with a Grand Prix (which is mid-size I think) for the same rate. We did buy their tank of gas so we wouldn't have to remember to fill the car before returning it, but the cost per gallon was reasonable compared to outside the airport. Total cost for 9 days: $309. Good luck!

neenah, wisconsin
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best rate for a car rental

My wife and I are going to Oahu in late February and we got a small(?) car from Enterprise near our hotel for $55 for all 3 days which includes the taxes and fees.

Buckley, Washington
Level Contributor
109 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best rate for a car rental

On my last 4 trips to Oahu I used a local company called Tradewinds U-Drive. You can check their rates at tradewindsudrive.com. I have found their rates to be similar to the lower cost national companies. What I especially like about Tradewinds is that they don't charge for extra drivers, and they will rent to younger drivers, age 21-25.

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best rate for a car rental

We rented a minivan from Alamo - used an Entertainment coupon and it was only $259 for a week which was a very good price compared to others. The Entertainment coupon also allowed for 1 additional driver, no charge. The only drawback, as another poster mentioned, the Alamo lot was a little tricky to get to when it came time to return the vehicle.

seattle
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best rate for a car rental

We rented from Tradewinds for 14 days. I They are by far the best car rental company I have ever dealt with. Very casual atmosphere, with plenty of aloha!Locally owned, best rates, no 2nd driver fees, no extra insurance fees & no hidden charges. Airport pick-up and drop-off was a breeze You can expect to pay exactly what you are quoted I highly recommend Tradewinds . They also are the car rental sponsor for the Triple Crown of Surfing and they will rent to younger drivers, age 21-25(no extra charges , plus they will also rent without credit card with advance notice). We paid 321.00 total for 14 days rental.